Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Total repaint (questions)

Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total repaint (questions)

I will repaint my 1986 930 in Blood Orange. It's Meteor Metalic now (not original paint).
I know that many of you think that I should't do this but I can't just sell my car and buy another with the right color for me. Because there is no any 930s in sale at all in my country and custom duty for importing 930 from abroad is rather high.
I'm not going to sell this car in the future.
So please treat with understanding

I want total repaint (outside and inside car) to make my 930 look like it was born in Blood Orange. I want to repaint all the necessary parts and places of the car in Blood Orange.

Could you please help me with the list of the parts inside the car that should be repaint?

Any advices are also very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo51
I want total repaint (outside and inside car) to make my 930 look like it was born in Blood Orange. Could you please help me with the list of the parts inside the car that should be repaint?
Sergey, the paint shop should be able to inform you what they plan on doing...as it is their area of expertise.

Caveat: am not a body/paint subject matter expert.

To paint your car correctly, obviously all glass, panels, and trim need to be removed. Not aware the factory ever painted the interior floor pans of production cars, but the pans undoubtedly have overspray from painting the door cavity [entry sill, hinge plate, striker plate]. Believe same goes for the exterior floor pans, front trunk, and engine compartment...never painted, but have color overspray.

If you want the gospel, reach out to John Paterek, PCA technical guru for all things body, paint, interior, and upholstery. Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
... <snip> ... Not aware the factory ever painted the interior floor pans of production cars, but the pans undoubtedly have overspray from painting the door cavity [entry sill, hinge plate, striker plate]. Believe same goes for the exterior floor pans, front trunk, and engine compartment...never painted, but have color overspray. ...<snip>
Allen will definitely have more knowledge of a 1986 930 than I will.
But I thought maybe I could ask a question here....

My 1991 964 Turbo has both the interior of the front trunk & interior engine bay sprayed by the factory. Out of curiosity, when did they start doing that?

Thanks,
=Steve
Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
My 1991 964 Turbo has both the interior of the front trunk & interior engine bay sprayed by the factory. Out of curiosity, when did they start doing that?
Steve, now that I think about it, my engine compartment probably has a little more than just overspray...the rear trays, left and right, have maybe one coat of rough color. As my engine has never been out, suspect the vertical panels next to the engine, and the firewall under the sound deadening, are the same. Do you think your car has more than one coat of rough color?

Having trouble visualizing past my gas tank, spare, and battery at the moment, but the front trunk is probably about the same, as the shock towers have a coat of color, as well. Trying to remember what the floor under the battery looked like the last time I was in there...
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Great color choice:
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed, beautiful color

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door2.htm
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

Allen thanks for your support!
I used to think that factory painted floor pans inside, front trunk and engine compartment. Need to check it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:51 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Agreed. Maybe a single coat, and there are areas that are wrinkle finish color-to-match too.

Blood Orange. Love it. Now THAT color will garner attention. Looking forward to pics.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:29 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

I used to think that factory painted floor pans inside, front trunk and engine compartment. Need to check it.
Sergey, after a little back and forth with Steve, the factory probably did paint the floor pans, trunk, and engine compartment...but not much more than a single rough coat. From what I remember, the color on my interior pans is pretty thin. John Paterek could probably quote factory procedures.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:17 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

The engine compartment has full paint, the trunk has partial with more of an overspray on the lower areas, and the interior has more of a heavier overspray, and is then blacked-out along the outer edges and moves to more of a heavier black overspray as it moves further inward... if this makes sense.
However, if this car as been painted before in a non-original color, then its not going to hurt, and you may want to paint full paint the trunk area simply to obtain nicer more complete finish.

You are changing the color so do it like you want it as long as it is nice it will be appreciated by you as well as others.
Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 AM
voodoo51
Instructor

LexVan
NBoost
bweSteve

Thank you! I will post the pics.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM
voodoo51
Instructor

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Sergey, after a little back and forth with Steve, the factory probably did paint the floor pans, trunk, and engine compartment...but not much more than a single rough coat. From what I remember, the color on my interior pans is pretty thin. John Paterek could probably quote factory procedures.
Allen, could you please give me the email of John Paterek?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
voodoo51
Instructor

Originally Posted by onboost
The engine compartment has full paint, the trunk has partial with more of an overspray on the lower areas, and the interior has more of a heavier overspray, and is then blacked-out along the outer edges and moves to more of a heavier black overspray as it moves further inward... if this makes sense.
However, if this car as been painted before in a non-original color, then its not going to hurt, and you may want to paint full paint the trunk area simply to obtain nicer more complete finish.

You are changing the color so do it like you want it as long as it is nice it will be appreciated by you as well as others.
Thanks for advices! I will try to find out how it should be painted and if I can't I just paint it in Blood Orange as you said.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM
voodoo51
Instructor

I'm going to use these components in repaint:
- paint Sikkens Avtowave (waterborne basecoat)
- clearcoat Sikkens

What do you think about them?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Dr.Glasso
8th Gear

I'm going to use these components in repaint:
- paint Sikkens Avtowave (waterborne basecoat)
- clearcoat Sikkens

What do you think about them?
If I were painting your car I would remove all the interior all the glass remove engine,pull back wiring harness front and rear,remove doors door panels,rear deck lid,trunk,gas door front &rear bumpers all glass for starters.I also recommend using basf 90 line if you want to go waterborne followed by glassuritt clear 923-200 or 923-210. I could go on &on about body&paint,but I think u get the idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total repaint (questions)