911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A leak I cannot explain. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A leak I cannot explain. Help

I had a fluid leak on the right side of the engine coming down the front side of the oil cooler and onto the heat exchanger. The color of the fluid is RED. My thought right away was R-12 with leak detector that I added years ago. Could not find any sign of Freon leak. With the car sitting over night the red leak continued to spread on the paper on the floor, which made me think the Freon pressure was pushing out the refrigerant oil, but still no evidence of Freon leaking. The right deck lid shock did not appear to be leaking anything. I cleaned up all the residue
I could find disconnected the right deck shock, it still had pressure. Ran the engine for several minutes. No leak. Drove the car and still no leak. I suspect the shock but do not even know what is inside of these things. Is it just gas or gas and hydraulic fluid? Stumped:confused
Old 01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Handy930
Racer

Default Leak followup

Not confused anymore just feel like a dumbshxt. Apparently I over oiled my K&N air filter. Never has happened before. So all is well. Have a laugh on me.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well alright then..... I never knew that air cooled Porsches used ATF (which is all that the "special" K&N filter juice is....just watered down ATF).

Now for sure, none of us here have ever had anything similarly stupid happen to us - none that will be admitted at least. There's only been one instance in my life when I felt like a shumb-dit....fer sure, just one.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Handy930
Racer

Mark, hopefully my one and only dumbshxt moves. Thanks for the info on ATF for K&Ns. Didn't know that.

Last edited by Handy930; 01-17-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Mistergee
Advanced

Why oil the air filter? sounds it would heavily impede air flow
Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistergee
Why oil the air filter? sounds it would heavily impede air flow
A K&N requirement...or just a good marketing tool to sell watered down ATF. Supposedly it helps the filter element to "grab" that first particle of dirt and build up a layer of sticky dirt that then attracts more dirt.....you get the picture. Between the pore size of the filter medium and the adhesion of the oil, you get maximum cleanage.....I guess. I sound like a K&N salesman.

Quick Reply: A leak I cannot explain. Help