Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Did Special Wishes sell slant nose parts to dealers before 1985? Or were they SW only

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is their current website. I think Alan Johnson sold the business quite a long time ago, so not sure if anybody there knows about past cars. But they might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.ajusa.com/
Old 12-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

interesting thread to follow.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
BWH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Midnight 933
I will keep an eye on this thread. I am after the same information on my
1987 930, I have a drop nose kit on mine with the round head lights and the fender tag is the same part number as the one showen in the last pictures. If you find any information on this type of car I would love to know. I will show you the fender tag incase it helps.

Good luck

Brian
Old 12-26-2014, 11:57 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Al is still in business. He runs a small mostly by appointment vintage shop here in Colorado in Grand Junction. A google search should yield a phone number. If memory serves he's on Winters Ave.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:54 PM
JGT
AutoX

Originally Posted by GTgears
Al is still in business. He runs a small mostly by appointment vintage shop here in Colorado in Grand Junction. A google search should yield a phone number. If memory serves he's on Winters Ave.
You' re good fellows, thanks a lot,

Jürgen
Old 12-26-2014, 03:18 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

iii
Originally Posted by JGT
Hello onboost!
How can I find Alan Johnson today? I am from Stuttgart and have my office in view to Porsc hemuseum. Recently I bought a beautiful 1987 Slantnose Turbo US spec. in turned out to be non factory conversion but steel and very good.
New I need to find out who made the conversion.
Thanks for help

Jürgen
Hello Jurgen,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. However, I will say that our cars look almost as twins. From the computer I really couldn't tell if the color was so different, however it is.. yours is Venetian blue metallic, while mine is Petrol Blue metallic.

Would you mind posting a shot of your interior and a close-up of the quarter panel vent?

Beautiful car!

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Looks like the aj USA kit with Mazda headlights.
TT Surgeon is correct. I have the same conversion on my 78 930. Alan Johnson offered the fenders 3 ways based on cost although fenders were factory units on each
- factory single motor
- Round headlights w/Mazda motors
- Rectangular headlights w/Mazda motors

Originally Posted by midnite993
Here is their current website. I think Alan Johnson sold the business quite a long time ago, so not sure if anybody there knows about past cars. But they might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.ajusa.com/
They will be of no help at this point.. AJ-USA and the dealership had been around since 74 -75. However, it was sold right around the 91 -92 timeline. The major parts were eventually sold off/depleted and those very helpful and knowledgeable employees eventually moved on.

Originally Posted by BWH
Hi Midnight 933
I will keep an eye on this thread. I am after the same information on my
1987 930, I have a drop nose kit on mine with the round head lights and the fender tag is the same part number as the one showen in the last pictures. If you find any information on this type of car I would love to know. I will show you the fender tag incase it helps.

Good luck

Brian
Brian,
The fender tag that you speak of is that which shows the color code. So that is the part number of the tag..the later cars all used this tag. The larger font present is the actual color code.

Can you post pics of your interior and a close-up of your quarter panel vent as well?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 AM
JGT
AutoX

Default interiour pics

Hi onboost!

Here are the pics on your demand!

Greetings Jürgen
Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2014, 12:37 PM
BWH
Track Day

Default BWH pictures

Hi onboost and JTJ

I will post the pictures of the ducts on my care and the interior. Any information I can get on the car is grate as I have so little. My car looks a lot like JTJ's in side.

Thanks Brian
Attached Images     
Old 12-29-2014, 09:32 PM
BWH
Track Day

Default Might not be an AJ conversion

Hi onboost and TT Surgeon

I just read your comment on the AJ conversions, and it looks as if my car was not done in this way. I have a single center motor and round head lights. I have not found any part numbers on the control rods.
But the center drive motor might have some type of part number if I can get the rubber boot off the top and look.
Any idea in what direction I can look or who I might speak with to find out the real history of this car. The warranty book said it was bought from Martin - Johnson Porsche Audi dealer 0121 Oakland Calf.
The Canadian part I know but I have no way to track down the US history.

Any thing would be most help full.
Thanks
Brian
Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Hi Brian,

Why do you assume your car is a conversion? With the single bar motor for the headlights, the oil cooler in the passenger side rear quarter, and the fact that your car is a US spec 87.. the assumption is that this is a factory 505 Slantnose. In essence, it was ordered that way, so congrats to you!

Check again under the hood for an additional decal that should list option code numbers, it may be on the side panel or underside of the hood. If not, you may want to order a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM
arotheray
AutoX

Here is my factory color to sample 79 930 now with 43K miles. It is original to the 1982 thru 1983 AJ build, which included early factory non slatted fenders and 930s front valance w/ large oil cooler and with brake cooling ducts behind the fog lights ( remove the lights for better air flow ) which also included a mildly modded motor to around 350hp, airport gears, Porsche Weltmeister ralle suspension. It has the rectangular head lights with two motors.
Attached Images   

Last edited by arotheray; 12-31-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:24 PM
BWH
Track Day

Default Recommendations

Hi onboost

Thanks for the reply and recommendation to get the Porsche certificate. I have just ordered it today. The reason I think this might be a clone is the work on the jacking pins on the sides of the car is some what poor. The support brace is flat and the alignment is not right on for the jack. The car has all the parts the washer bottle in the drivers fender one light motor and round head lights etc. I will attach the pictures of the tags under the hood and they mach the dealer book. I don't see 505 in any location but the car was very early in 1987 picked up March 7/87
I will let you all know when I get the certificate from Porsche.
Would any one know why the tag has a code 780 remove safety certificate? what dose it indicate.

Thanks
Happy New Year
Brian
Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Brian,

Interesting indeed. Could you take a picture of the jacking pins you are talking about? The reason I ask is that I am not sure if you're talking about the point/plates at the four corners of the car per-se, or the jack-point extensions from the rocker area to just inside the boxed rocker.
For the record, these were not always added during a conversion, or by the factory in the early special wishes days.. some had them some didn't and they were not always finished very pretty.

Also, many assume aftermarket conversion when looking at a rocker panel that doesn't have a jack point whole or plug present, when in fact some are factory but had the hole closed for ascetics. My AJR conversion is one such case, looking at the behind the rocker or when removed, you can see where it had been welded close.

If you are speaking about the one of the four jacking plates with the slot, they are not always perfect either. Of course many have been damaged and repaired or replaced as well so I wouldn't really view that as an indicator of a conversion.

I do find it odd that there is no 505 code on this car as the parts clearly appear to be factory.. also, not sure about the 780 code.

Can you also take and post a pic of the oil lines & thermostat as they route from the cooler? That's usually a good way to tell also.

Either way, appears to be a great car.. if a conversion I would still say Alan Johnson, and one of their higher end jobs. Two of the price bumps used then were the headlight option, (factory as you have, or dual Mazda motors with Square or round lights) and the choice of oil coolers. There was either the factory placement of right 1/4 panel, and the associated lines and thermostat, or the "upgraded" front mounted cooler.. the former being the most costly.

Happy New year!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:23 PM
BWH
Track Day

Hi Onboost

Thanks for your reply. I have taken some pictures of the jacking points under the box rockers. As you can see the workmen ship is not the best. I took a picture of the thermostat and lines as well to see what you think of them as well.

Thanks for your feed back it is most help full.

Take Care
Brian
Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 AM
JGT
AutoX

Originally Posted by arotheray
Here is my factory color to sample 79 930 now with 43K miles.
Hi arotheray!
The more I look at your car the more I like the early bare conversions without any openings. Thanks for the pics.

@onboost
The quarter vents are empty, only ducts .
Oil cooler is in front.

Thanks again for your input.

@all

Happy New Year

Jürgen

the oil cooler is at the front.

Quick Reply: Did Special Wishes sell slant nose parts to dealers before 1985? Or were they SW only