911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 PM
MZ3 SBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

I need some help in understanding the value of a 1979 930 Turbo that has spent a few too many years sitting around. ( some of which was outside)

The car was once a daily driver but the owner passed and it sat around until it was given to a buddy of mine.

Car has 49k miles. The paint is shot.

The car has a wrap on it which needs to be removed.

Tune up was done and car runs well with no apparent oil leaks.

My plan is to restore the car.

Thanks. This is my first post on Rennlist. I have always loved the 930 and really hope be an active member of this forum

Last edited by MZ3 SBC; 12-29-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd offer 20k, gonna need a ton of work.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welded in cage along with 4 pt seatbelts points toward track use, not everyday driver. If it's grinding into gears think trans rebuild, rather than shift linkage. Think:
Paint - $10,000
Interior - $5000
Trans rebuild - $5-7,000? Mine was 6000
Misc - fuel system, brakes, electric, tires, wheels, etc $5-10,000

So you can see an easy $30,000 being put into this car, assuming the engine is sound. Add another 20,000+ if the engine needs to be rebuilt.

That being said, these cars seem to be appreciating these days; at the end of the day you will know exactly what you have, and you can build exactly what you want - assuming you can and are willing
to spend $50-70,000!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the serial #?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by Last930
Welded in cage along with 4 pt seatbelts points toward track use, not everyday driver. If it's grinding into gears think trans rebuild, rather than shift linkage. Think:
Paint - $10,000
Interior - $5000
Trans rebuild - $5-7,000? Mine was 6000
Misc - fuel system, brakes, electric, tires, wheels, etc $5-10,000

So you can see an easy $30,000 being put into this car, assuming the engine is sound. Add another 20,000+ if the engine needs to be rebuilt.

That being said, these cars seem to be appreciating these days; at the end of the day you will know exactly what you have, and you can build exactly what you want - assuming you can and are willing
to spend $50-70,000!
Having just been through this, your prices are spot on, finding parts is the issue.
C
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Fan belt should be easy
Old 08-27-2014, 05:52 PM
MZ3 SBC
Advanced

Given all that....geeze...then 20K might be a little bit on the high side considering the amount of work that will have to go into this car. Anybody else have a number for its current value? Feels like 10k would be a great buy and $20K would be fair and reasonable?

I know the clean original and nicely restored cars are worth money....but a neglected track day convert should demand much less? If I bot this car for $15 an put $50 into it....what is it worth ? $50- $75K? I can't imagine this kind of restoration would be a big money car?? I really have no idea...so if I sound naïve...I am a little..I have over $75 in a track car and its worth a fraction of that in absolutely mind condition.

The condition I hope to get it to is nice looking functional daily driver...the kind of car I would want to buy in the high 20's low 30's. I have an M coupe with LS2 conversion.

( http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...762826-Mz3-LS2)

This one is to take my daughters to have ice cream in town on the weekends....I am no strange to throwing good money after bad...so I am hoping this is a much more rewarding project. In fact I know it is....its been a dream of mine since I was a boy.

I hope I am in the right place for moral support!!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Keep in mind, given the history, if you buy it at 20 and pour 50 into you it, you still only have a 60k car. The value on such a track ***** rebuild will be capped no matter what you do.
I'd buy it at 15, flip it at 20 as is then look for something better without a story.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Buddy of mine just bought a car in same type condition for $18,000. Not as an investment but because he loves 930's. He'll probably spend to much money over the next few years changing every nut, bolt and washer because he just can't help it...the SOB is in love with the car.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 AM
MZ3 SBC
Advanced

Thanks guys- I appreciate the candor. Helps me to appreciate the complexity of the project and depth of my lunacy.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Here the advice that is often given- if you can't afford a expensive Porsche you sure as hell can't afford a cheap one. Car's that need a lot of work are almost never sufficiently discounted to make it financially worthwhile to buy and repair unless you can do a lo of the work yourself.
Phil
Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 AM
kenikh
Track Day

I just bought a 79 930. It was an equivalent pig to this one and its gently getting a full engine rebuild after teardown revealed (count 'em) 5 cracked pistons. As a data point, I coughed up $30K-ish for this car. Don't let me bore you retelling the details in summary... You can read it all here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...roduction.html

Now the next data point, a recent sale from eBay, that makes mine and the one in this post look like Concours material. It sold for $24.1K. Full read here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...-thoughts.html

So you tell me... What's the new price floor? $18K was a steal... Luck was on his side and those deals are as uncommon as my $9500 1966 911... One lucky SOB gets that deal, not everyone.

Ask yourself: As these cars don't get cheaper, when will you regret not buying this "cheap" car? I'm no noob at this... I'm just saying time isn't on anyone's side for getting a cheap 930 anymore.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Here the advice that is often given- if you can't afford a expensive Porsche you sure as hell can't afford a cheap one. Car's that need a lot of work are almost never sufficiently discounted to make it financially worthwhile to buy and repair unless you can do a lo of the work yourself.
Phil
What Phil said...

I am going through two projects slowly right now, a bigger one which is a slow bare metal on a 72S (this project started before the prices went through the roof) and a highly neglected 94 turbo 3.6 (and the prices have gone up on these also).

Bills add up really really fast...OEM parts prices have gone up a lot, so you need to decide up front to what degree you want to restore the car, and if you are going stock or modified. It is a lot cheaper these days to restore to a modded finish than to restore to stock due to parts pricing.

I would say that rust / body work will require a different level of care than mechanical...

You can easily buy a "newer" 996TT or 997TT for the amount of money you will spend restoring a 930...

Get in with your eyes open, and go slow...
Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 AM
kenikh
Track Day

Thinking about this more, your buddy sounds more motivated than you. I'd off him $15K, which is the number you can feel completely risk free at. If he just wants it gone, then you're both happy. That's what friendship is for.

Lots of great advice above on this kind of car...and a little more:
1. Take it slow
2. Do what you can yourself
3. For the work you can't do yourself, shop around!

As Phil said, if you can't afford a perfect Porsche, you can't afford a cheap one (unless you did ways to cut costs). The best way to cut costs I've found is finding suppliers at smaller shops with low overhead who like doing cash deals. This takes way more time, but if you want a perfect car now, you'll need at least $45K to play and more likely 60+.

With a patient approach, you can make this car pencil out.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 PM
MZ3 SBC
Advanced

Default some pics of the car

I did not get a chance to drive it today. But here a few obvious things I found:

1) it starts ( yay) . rough idle for first few minutes then it was rough but stopped stalling when I gave it throttle.

2) There is definitely oil leaking...from where and how severe is an unknown. but a good mess under the motor.

3) Shocks and brakes are original an shock tower mounts have some slop.

4) Carpet was replaced with something aftermarket ( cheap looking) and all

5) Original seats and seat belts are removed. Owner has original front seats - but they need to be recovered. currently a set of Cobra pro series with 4 pt harnesses in it and no rear seat. Rear deck seems to be built up or something - does not look like original seat could be easily installed with out deconstructing /

7) 16" BBS wheels were repainted flat black. or gray- looks a bit ghetto for my taste

7) There are some bubbles in the paint that can be clearly seen under the wrap around the window seems. No idea if car was in an accident ever as original owner passed and that's how it would up in my friends hands.

8) 4 pt cage is welded in and needs to be removed. Carpets cut to accommodate.

9) Shift linkage shot- either rubber in linkage at shift base on transaxle...like a limp noodle

10) Driver door lock and handle not functioning

11) rear hatch / tea tray tail does not seem to close and lock down tightly.

12) rear wheels seems a bit inset...is that normal for OEM- or is that a 8 in rim in rear?

Based on the information that everyone shared, I can see that the car will need some attention to the motor, the calipers rebuilt, the cage removed, the seats replaced, the body redone, the wheels replaced and mostly likely the shocks replaced. I would not be surprised if the half shafts /cv joints have to be done.

The nice thing is this appears to be a good base for a driver. I have no intentions on making this some street monster 935 Kremer wanna be....just a nice well sorted driver that I can enjoy.
Attached Images         

Quick Reply: Need some advice