911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

This is a good buy if legit

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

???? What??? They told me that is a California law!!!! I am trying to do the same as you...
I was told something like: "...if a motor vehicle is picked up in person then you have to pay CA sales tax whether you are a Cali resident or not...". I asked if I can have a tow truck company (roll back) pick it out of there and then they should not care what happens to the car...and that is when they told me about bill of leading forms which until last week I had never heard of before!

I don't understand these guys' BS...now I am not happy...I will get into it tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Igooz
???? What??? They told me that is a California law!!!! I am trying to do the same as you...
I was told something like: "...if a motor vehicle is picked up in person then you have to pay CA sales tax whether you are a Cali resident or not...". I asked if I can have a tow truck company (roll back) pick it out of there and then they should not care what happens to the car...and that is when they told me about bill of leading forms which until last week I had never heard of before!

I don't understand these guys' BS...now I am not happy...I will get into it tomorrow.
Email sent, call me.......

Chuck

Last edited by The Baron; 10-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon
9.75% sales tax+ Dmv registration. <snip ed. >
Marty
CA state sales tax is 7.5%. Additional tax can be levied (confiscated) by County & /or City. My local rate is 8%.
DMV used vehicle registration < $400.

http://dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/renewalForm.do

Thermal reactor type exhaust can be replaced by later cat based design. IMHO a smart mod for 911/930 seeking CA smog compliance.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Baron
Email sent, call me.......

Chuck

Igooz,

I just spoke with Jeff Trask @ European Collectables (Costa Mesa), Rob Morgan @ Truspeed (Costa Mesa), Bruce Canepa@ Canepa Design (Scott's Valley) and Bill Noon@Symbolic Motors (LaJolla) and ALL FOUR RESPONSES WERE THE SAME........The dealer is trying to screw you. You DO NOT have to pay CA sales tax if you are taking the car out of state.

Let him take your money then bury the Fack......legally and criminally......Interstate fraud is a Federal offense !

In some states you can be awarded triple damages !

Have fun !
Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Many many thanks. I will call you. Just tied up at work. Pretty amazing !
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Baron
Igooz, I just spoke with Jeff Trask @ European Collectables (Costa Mesa), Rob Morgan @ Truspeed (Costa Mesa), Bruce Canepa@ Canepa Design (Scott's Valley) and Bill Noon@Symbolic Motors (LaJolla) and ALL FOUR RESPONSES WERE THE SAME........The dealer is trying to screw you. You DO NOT have to pay CA sales tax if you are taking the car out of state. Let him take your money then bury the Fack......legally and criminally......Interstate fraud is a Federal offense ! In some states you can be awarded triple damages ! Have fun !
Chuck,
I owe you one...please see your PM...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Repaint

Baron, is a repainted 79, 30k mls, valued in the high $80k range?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is the site for the California State Board of Equalization
Www.boe.ca.gov
There is contact info there, they actually will pick up the phone and speak to you.
If an auto dealer is strong arming you into paying a fraudulent sales tax fee, they should know about it.
Also, there is a county-by-county sales tax chart for sales tax amounts...for us unlucky car buyers here in the golden state ! In my city of L.A. , I pay 9.75% . It varies by city.
I hope you prevail with a fair deal .
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rare911s
Baron, is a repainted 79, 30k mls, valued in the high $80k range?
This sounds like a loaded question

My gut says NO WAY is it worth high $80k but I'd have to know more details and see photos to give an educated guess as to fair market value.

? Alarm bells are going off .......Why does any legitimate 30k car need to be repainted. Example; my '08 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab with 90k on the odometer sits outside, day & night, summer & winter, 10º to 110º all year every year for over six years and this truck has never been painted.

Why was it repainted and how much was repainted .... complete car or a section ?

Most of the '79 repaints available on ebay, craigs list, Autotrader, etc... seem to be higher mileage cars with prices in the low to mid 40k range.

Just my 2¢
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon
Here is the site for the California State Board of Equalization
Www.boe.ca.gov
There is contact info there, they actually will pick up the phone and speak to you.
If an auto dealer is strong arming you into paying a fraudulent sales tax fee, they should know about it.
Also, there is a county-by-county sales tax chart for sales tax amounts...for us unlucky car buyers here in the golden state ! In my city of L.A. , I pay 9.75% . It varies by city.
I hope you prevail with a fair deal .
Hey Maltese,

The info you share here mimicks what Bill Noon at Symbolic told me yesterday. This is great info for out-of-staters to have when shopping for a car in CA.

BTW.....Igooz is out the country on business. He told me today that he has moved on and I think he has found a nicer car elsewhere.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Baron is correct...in UK and Germany on business. And moved on from the car and dealer that was giving me the false tax information (many thanks again!). I am on plan B now. (I am learning that the price of air cooled turbos is really really on the rise!!! )

Quick Reply: This is a good buy if legit