911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

77 930 Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 77 930 Main Seal

The 77 930 I bought last month had only been driven 3,000 miles in 9 years. It had top end rebuilt in 2004. Earlier this month I had the valves adjusted, some minor oil leaks addressed and mostly handling stuff taken care of. They told me it had a minor leak at the main seal but not too bad for now. Car has 107K miles

Last Friday, I drove it and it smoked badly. I had noticed that the oil leak was getting worse. I had an oil trail as I limped home.

The mechanic in my home town, who did the 2004 rebuild, just called and said the leak is at the main seal. Engine needs to come out.

I am wondering if the low use for the last 9 years could be the reason, or do they just go like that? Also, while the engine is out, what else? Transmission, clutch, syncros, etc. seem fine.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Jfort these engines drop out with the transaxle , then get separated while out of the car....my tech= 45 minutes. The rear main engine seal is very accessible, just a change out part. Have him inspect the trans seal , t-o-b, pressure plate , clutch (replace if it is the rubber center), and flywheel...all easy to do while all is out. If all parts are on hand it's a same day job. Check the cv's as well.
These cars were made to drive, sitting just dries things up. Sometimes you will need to leave your six and drive that 930 !
Marty

Quick Reply: 77 930 Main Seal