911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Sticking Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sticking Throttle

Does anyone else experience this? My throttle sticks on my 930 - acts almost like cruise control - doesn't accelerate but will maintain the cars speed and will not idle down until you touch the clutch pedal. Local mechanic says that the linkage bends if you press the throttle too hard and he showed me how to straighten it with a screw driver but I am thinking there must be better answer. Has anyone else experienced this and is anyone aware of a fix?

Thanks!

Ted

Last edited by tedfromohio; 10-01-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Your pedal cluster may need cleaning or a rebuild. There are bushings that wear out in the pivot points.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_Rebuild.htm
Old 03-24-2017, 01:23 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Your pedal cluster may need cleaning or a rebuild. There are bushings that wear out in the pivot points.
Assisting a friend with a catching, sticking, throttle pedal in an '89 930.

Suspect the pedal cluster from an '89 [G50 box] is different than one from an -'88 [930 box]. Can anyone confirm this?

Car has never had any throttle issues. While driving the car last week, upon accelerating from a stop, the throttle pedal went to the floor and would not return. Engine spun up and briefly bounced off the rev limiter before the ignition was shut off. After coming to a stop, the pedal had to be pulled up by hand. Subsequently pressing the pedal caused it to catch on something about two thirds of the way down, preventing it from returning to the resting position, again requiring an encouraging hand.

Not currently near my car...does the G50 pedal cluster incorporate a throttle return spring? Were all 911 turbos, through '94, fitted with plastic pedal cluster bushings? Does this sound like a classic case of deteriorated cluster bushings?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:40 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I had these same conditions and it ended up being a frayed throttle cable. It was simple for me to reach around behind my IC & feel for where the cable connects to the linkage. I could feel the fray at that juncture. Immediately replaced it & everything has been fine for 5 yrs now.

The Accelerator Cable part number for my car is indeed the same for a 1989 930. It shows that it fits '89 - '94. So Allen, this may help you...

So on those 89's, don't forget to check the cable. Over the years of sliding back& forth in the sheath, it can easily get frayed & start to hang up.

I believe it is a different throttle linkage setup on '88 & back, but did not see where Ted noted the model year of his 930.

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-24-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:16 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for that part number, Steve.

Will have to follow up with the owner about the throttle cable...but initial indications sounded like the pedal arm was getting hung up in the cluster/floorboard area. Have you ever looked at/replaced your pedal cluster bushings? If so, did it come from the factory with plastic bushings? Have you ever driven car with deteriorated bushings? If so, what were some of the failure effects?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

At the time my throttle cable was hanging up, I did look at the peddle linkage & the ball/socket directly under the peddle looked fine, and everything from under the car looked Ok too. Besides, as soon as we felt the frayed cable strands up on top of the motor at throttle linkage, we knew immediately it was my problem.

I cannot say that I have driven a 911 with a bungered up plastic bushing where the rod goes through the body. But I HAVE driven my sons '69 Camaro that had that problem. It never really "hung" the peddle completely,... but rather it just did not have a nice responsive feeling. So we replaced everything on that car.

But on the 930, I would suspect that if your shop was nice & quiet, and actuating the peddle with your hand, listening closely, it would probably give you some indication if it was hanging up right there at the body junction. Otherwise when it's up on your lift it should be easy to diagnose. Follow the cable & wrap your fingers around it while your buddy pushes the peddle up & down. I bet you can feel if & where it is hanging up. Plus if it's frayed inside the cable sheath, the entire cable itself will move abnormally when pushing the peddle up & down.

This should be an easy one.

Ted, what year is your 930?

=Steve

Quick Reply: Sticking Throttle