Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

First Impressions - 930 on the track....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default First Impressions - 930 on the track....

As most of you know in this forum, you collectively and recently "pushed me down that slippery slope to 930 ownership" (here) - and frankly... I'm thrilled!!

Anyway, as probably fewer of you know, I'm Chief Instructor for our PCA Region D.E. events (NCR), and this Wednesday & Thursday, had the chance to take my "new to me" '88 930 to Lime Rock Park Race Track (CT) - and get a "taste" of what they are like driven "aggressively"....

First, the reason I say "taste" is that my Fiske Wheels aren't in yet, so I drove it on the old Fuzion tires (OUCH!!) with the factory rims... And I drove it at WAY LESS then its potential, given that I'm still getting used to the cars behavior, temperament and handling - and given the sad state of the older tires (they literally "go away" after only a few hot laps..)..

- These cars are a beast. When they come on boost, they are better than any ride at Disneyland. It's a gut-wrenching raw acceleration. On the uphill at LRP, with boost on and the right foot planted - all you can do is "hang tight" for the ride. Coming onto the straight from the downhill - the ride is no less exhilarating - and you pass many modern day Porsches as if they were bolted in place to the track...

- Cornering? I didn't push it given the tires - but, what I found out is you had better be prepared to deal with an early 911 suspension & oversteer dynamics in less than a nano-second - because it all can happen damned quickly - and too quickly if you don't have a lot of seat time. In short, for 930's on the track - they should come with a disclaimer "Novices Need not Apply". I'm not saying that with any condescension, but rather - a note for self-preservation. Of all the Porsches I've owned over the last 40 years - and all I've driven on the track (including many of the latest from Porsche's most competitive (GT3s, RS', etc.) - the 930 is by far, the single most visceral, raw and unforgiving Porsche I've ever driven...

But - to even begin to master it "at speed" will be one of the longest - and probably most rewarding - journeys I've ever undertaken with any of my cars on the track... And I can't wait to really learn how to drive this thing to any degree of its potential..

As an aside.....

I can't even tell you the looks and comments this 930 received during this multi-day event. I had several offers to buy it outright on the spot - and several other advanced drivers to me I had to be "one crazy instructor" to try to tame it on the track I took that as a challenge to be as good as this car....

Attached are two pics at LRP.. The man in the pic is Ed Broadhead - our Chief Steward (ex-904 racer and current GT3 owner - with more Porsches in his past then all of us combined) - who remembered when Porsche's only "built in safety devices" was a single "nut behind the wheel"..

Can't wait for our next and final event at NHMS 10/15 & 16.. Hope my wheels are in by then!!

John D.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice! What size fikses? I find they calm the car way down. I have 255s and 315s on 9X17 and 11X17. The 930 is a great teacher I think, it lets you know when you're being daft.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up John. The car looks very nice and man does it motivate me to track it eventually.

How was the brakes? Any race compound needed? Any overheating?
I find the suspension on the softer side stock, how was yours?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool, taking mine to NJMP on Oct 5th, it's a pvt track day if you're interested.
Yes, they can be scary.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

I tracked my 930 for one year on stock suspension & wheels/tires ... You will see a huge difference with larger tires, but you will need to do something about the suspension as a result. You used the term "self-preservation" in the write-up above, I always talk about "surviving" wrt tracking my 930. Enjoy and be safe.

Regards, Dave
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Cool, taking mine to NJMP on Oct 5th, it's a pvt track day if you're interested.
Yes, they can be scary.
Stay away from other cars at NJMP. Lots of crap can get thrown at you. Lime Rock is pretty clean in that respect.

John any left foot braking? What were your top speeds at the end of no name and the end of the front straight if you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Wow! I LOVE it!
I'd like to hear more of your experiences and thoughts with the 930, as compared with other models you've tracked!

I did a local autocross once in my car, and it was just nuts! Tires chewed up badly, turbo kicked in at all the wrong places, and the track was set up for miatas & Subarus. It was like taking a black powder rifle to a bb-gun fight! haha!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! Plan to take mine to the track this winter.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes, they can be scary.
Stay away from other cars at NJMP. Lots of crap can get thrown at you. Lime Rock is pretty clean in that respect.

John any left foot braking? What were your top speeds at the end of no name and the end of the front straight if you don't mind me asking.
Yes, I know what you mean, I've been on both tracks many times, never in a 930 though.....
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi folks..!

Sorry about the delayed reply - but, the past few days have been a little "nuts" with schedules...!!

Originally Posted by Yargk
Nice! What size fikses? I find they calm the car way down. I have 255s and 315s on 9X17 and 11X17. ....
That's exactly the info I need!!! My wheels sizes are 17x11" (rear) and 17x8.5" - and I'm really struggling to figure out tire sizes?? Do you have any rubbing with the 315 & 255 you are running? Also, what clearance like? What I was thinking was 315x35 (rears) and 245x45 fronts..? The wheel offset (rears) will maintain the stock offset...

Any comments from you - or all - would be GREAT about fit and any clearance problems!!

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
.....How was the brakes? Any race compound needed? Any overheating?
I find the suspension on the softer side stock, how was yours?
Hey Polo! The brakes were fine - BUT - remember, my longest run was probably 12-15 laps - and given the tires, didn't push it terribly hard? That being said - with the same brake package on my '89 C4 (Pagid blacks), I've had zero issues with the factory brakes.. However, the C4 doesn't reach the speeds of the 930, so braking is much less at the end of a higher speed segment of the track... I'll know better after the NHMS runs later in October - and will let you know, OK??

As for the suspension, I'm not complaining yet, as the PO installed all new Bilsteins with the stock torsion bars... I think I'll stick with stock for a while, and see..? Again, I don't have enough seat time in the 930 yet to really tell..??

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Wow! I LOVE it!
I'd like to hear more of your experiences and thoughts with the 930, as compared with other models you've tracked!..!
Jeez - that would be a LONG post!! Remember, I've been doing track events since the early 90's, and as I've said - run these on the track (these are just MINE - not other cars I've run??) -
  • '73 911 w/3.2, 915 w/LSD, upgraded suspension;
  • '87 951 - chipped, upgraded suspension and engine enhancements;
  • '88 951 - chipped, turbo upgrade with engine enhancements;
  • '75 914/6 -enhanced 3.0, webers, coilovers, etc.
  • '87 911 - 3.2, suspension upgrades;
  • '68 911L - stock, stock, stock (My SWB "momentum" car);
  • '95 993 C4 - engine upgrades and PSS9s
  • '89 911 C4 - Suspension upgrades only (sport springs/lowered); and
  • '88 my 930....??

And probably others I've forgotten..??

Anyway - you bet! As I get more seat time - I'll try to make more solid comparisons for you??

Again - my thanks and best to all..!

John
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I used to have 245/40 and 315/35 (17s) and now they are 255/40 315/35. The 255 required removing the windshield wiper tank I believe. The 245s worked fine. I don't know about the taller 245/45s though.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

John,

Nice to see you join the fold!! Yes, the 930 is a BEAST on track. I tracked mine before I bought the Yellow car and it was invaluable in learning how to drive. There is a certain art-form to staying on-boost throughout the turns. Four years ago, Glen Gatlin sponsored an advanced driving clininc with Patrick Long as one of our instructors. Patrick took a friend's highly-modified '77 Euro 930 out and was DRIFITING IT through corners. Patrick had called Hurley Haywood for suggestions on how best to drive the car!!!! It was an AWESOME thing to watch.

Can't wait to finish my engine rebuild and get my 930 back on the road. Enjoy this car John. There is no other car like it!

Toby
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I regret not taking mine out on the track at least once to experience this!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
John D.
Banned

Just received another picture of my car on the track at LRP (from John Pulsifer @ Motorcentric.com) from last week...

I love my car

John D.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: First Impressions - 930 on the track....