911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Just Dyno my 930 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just Dyno my 930 Turbo

i have recently purchased my 930 targa Turbo UK Spec. I have now had it dyno just to see where the base line is as it is in original set up.
To my surprise the car retunred figures as factory delivered not bad for a 23 year old car with 83k miles. 300.2 BHP and 288 ft lb torque at the flywheel.
i have a Manual boost control and had this set to peak at 1 bar (4700rpm) which dropped to 0.9 bar at the red line. The figures returned where 332 BHP and 322 ft lb of torque. I am very please with the outcome on a standard set with just the adjustment on boost.
So my question is would a muffler make any difference? The AFRs are quite rich, the lambda was between 0.7 and 0.8 at full boost. i believe this to be normal. Any feedback woul dbe appreciated,
Cheers
TIM
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Excellent numbers!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll gain spool up time and a bit of power with headers and muffler change. Your intercooler will struggle to keep things cool if you go much further, and your old 3LDZ turbo will run out of steam too.

If you want to go further you really need to do a few things at the same time, by all means start with headers and muffler, it'll make the car sound and breath much better, see RarlyL8 for that stuff.
After that you need to change your turbo and intercooler, and get your WUR made adjustable, at this point you'll be around 400. After that you want cams, and some safety bits like rod bolts and head studs.... You can head for mid 400's then which is about your safe limit really with CIS. You can push towards 500 with fuel head mods etc, but you really need stronger rods, a 'very' good intercooler and someone like StuP to set your fueling up right.
It's a long road, just make sure you have a game plan, and get the right stuff from the start, and if you are not doing the spanner work yourself PM me and i'll point you in the right direction on who to use here in the UK
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Timspu
Instructor

I am not really interested in going the whole hog on getting more bhp.
Is there any benefit in getting an adjustble WUR to improve the fuelling as it is running quite rich when on boost. I am planning on keeping the original headers and Turbo and possibly just change the muffler. I have already emailled Brian for price on muffler which i think will end up buying. The one thing i don't want is an exhaust that is too loud. Brian advises his unit is not too loud with no resonnance. Can you offer any feedback?
I must admit the difference since increasing the boost by 0.2 bar is amazing the toque and power is terrific.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I personally think getting your WUR made adjustable is a no brainer even on a stock car, you have control then. Plus if it's original it'll need a rebuild at some point soon anyway. You'll gain power, get better MPG and the engine will run happier with crisper throttle response. And you don't have to worry about it letting you down!
You'll be ok with the stock intercooler up to 350 ish, it's always a good idea to have a better one though as the stock 930 one is pretty crap, so if one falls in your lap change it and keep your stock one on the shelf. Also when the time comes to change your turbo, go with a K27 or similar, you'll get quicker spool and the same power at less boost which is always good for longevity....

Brian's exhausts are artwork, if he says it's not too loud with no resonance then take his word for it. Send your WUR to http://members.***.net/930wur/ tell him your specs, boost level and a better muffler etc. He'll raise the boost enrichment threshold, and set it up almost spot on out of the box, then you just need to do slight tweaks to get it spot on. I have an Innovate LM1 for sale if you're interested, it will allow you to get accurate fuel data on the go to help with dialing in your WUR, plus it's there to keep an eye on it from time to time. You can add a boost and RPM signal to it too and log everything if you like, good piece of kit, and i only used it for about two weeks as i blew my engine up. You'd need to get Brian to weld a bung into the muffler for the sensor. It's yours for £150
Old 09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Timspu
Instructor

JBL930,
Are the adjusters on the WUR accessible with the air filter box fitted? Are the adjustments easy to make on a dyno or does it involve the WUR being removed adjusted then re fitted?

I think my plan .will be to fit a new muffler and have the WUR made adjustable , hopefully this will mean i can reduce the boost to 0.8 to 0.9 bar and still make 330 bhp.
Thanks for all your info, i also noted Rarly 8 also does the adjustable WUR, so would be worth ordering together.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Only the warm up enrichment adjustment is on the top, all other adjustments require getting at the bottom of the unit. The airbox is in the way, but i don't doubt you can leave the WUR unfixed whilst tuning, so you can get to the bottom of it easier. Once it is set up you're done, the only time you should need to tweak anything then is if you make other changes.
RarlyL8 (Brian) sends the WUR's to Brian Leask to be made adjustable, but i think it still works out the same? If the muffler and WUR are packaged together then maybe you'll save a bit....

Your fuel curve on your dyno graph looks nice and flat, no big fuel dump in the mid range. But it is very rich, so you will benifit from making yours adjustable, it's a good mod to do. You say you won't climb the power ladder, but it'll happen, and you'll have the ability to add fuel as you do...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Timspu
Instructor

KMI petrol injection services advise they can rebuild the unit and make it adjustable apart from adding the adjuster on the top of the WUR, have you ever used these guys and does the top adjuster play a big part in the adjustment.

Cheers again
TIM
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Never heard of them mate, i doubt very much they'll add everything Leask does, you need to see one of his WUR's to see how well it's done... You obviously get cruise adjustment, boost enrichment adjustment, and boost threshold adjustment from underneath, and the warm up/cold start adjustment from the top.

Leask's WUR's are very well proven, he's done hundreds and clearly knows his onions, just send it to him! He also fits a stronger diaphragm so it's better suited to dealing with more boost.

If you want to use someone in the UK then speak to Stuart here http://www.spautobahn.com/ He's a genuine CIS wizard
Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Brilliant.
I now have a solid direction with the right contacts.
Thanks again
TIM

Quick Reply: Just Dyno my 930 Turbo