Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need Help with first 930 turbo purchase (RSR)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
jstnoc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with first 930 turbo purchase (RSR)

I am brand new to the porsche world and am needing some feedback on the transaction I am about to make. I am in the process of finalizing a trade plus cash deal with a 1986 930 street/track car. I have seen the car in person and done a walk around, gotten underneath, drove her (and she is fast), and sat there and drouled over her. Everything from what I can tell passes with flying colors besides a few expected items like tires, a few rubbers, and the inside E brake light stays on, etc. So the last thing is to convince the seller into a prepurchase inspection. Heres the deal. The car is completely modified RSR conversion. I thought this conversion took place within the past 5 years but after reviewing the receipts it looks like it was completed in 1997 or 1998 where they did a complete rebuild on the motor with pistons rods efi conversion bigger turbo wastegate, etc. The motor build looked to be around 50 thousand dollars so it seems like a no expense spared build up. Nothing is documented but from the previous owner (one before the actual seller) he says the car has 500hp to wheels at 1 bar of boost. Now from what I can tell a new speedo was installed and if I am correct the car has just about 10,000 miles on it from rebuild. I got underneath the back and it does have all the listed items like B&B exhast, headers, big turbo, wastegate, etc. in addition it has some oil leaks. This is what scares me. Is 10,000 miles alot for a motor this radical? Is this motor a mild build or way radical? I see one spot is from the turbo oil catch canister which seems harmless but other areas look like a drop off the front of the case and 2 more closer to the transmission. Maybe it is just the valve covers or ??? I have a boat with a 1200 hp twin turbo motor and the only oil leaks I get are from the breathers when I put my foot in it.

This car will fulfill a life long dream so as much feedback is appreciated. Also if anyone can input what they think a car like this is worth again it is pretty prestine as far as body, paint and undercarriage. Here is a list of the cars features
1986 930 factory turbo sunroof
3 piece 18 inch racing wheels
Carbon fiber front fenders
Carbon rear GT2 lid/tail - fully adjustable
Full roll cage (the installation is very nice)
light weight RSR door panels (power windows and sunroof)
Sparco interior (Seats, mats, pedals, steering wheel, shifter)
Short shift kit
4 speed tranny with custom gears, synchros and racing clutch
motor is 3.4 forged pistons and rods;
Heads ported for increased flow; 214N stainless valves and
springs installed. All new hardware and bolts. Other performance modifications: High flow aftermarket B&B intercooler, B&B stainless headers and muffler system, Tial 46mm HP Wastegate, New K-27S turbocharger, New turbo cams, New performance fuel pumps, computerized Electromotive crank
fire engine management system.
Big Brake system (14.5 front 14 rear)
Coil overs on all 4's
RSR front spoiler

Again it looks like most of the work was done in 1997-1998 with receipts ending in 2003.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and hopefully I can be posting on here as a porsche owner shortly.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
shelbygtkr
Instructor

"So the last thing is to convince the seller into a prepurchase inspection."

He should be offering to do a prepurchase inspection at your expense at the shop you specify not his mechanic.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no receipts and the seller is not amiable to a PPI at the shop of your choosing?

Pass... there are a lot of cars out there.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
jstnoc
Track Day

He has not said he would not let me do a PPI we just have not spoken about it yet!! I just sent him an email this morning. Also there are plenty of receipts documenting everything done to the car its just that the motor build was back in 1998. Here are a couple photos of the car.

Attachment 462209

Attachment 462210

Last edited by jstnoc; 11-01-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jstnoc
He has not said he would not let me do a PPI we just have not spoken about it yet!! I just sent him an email this morning. Also there are plenty of receipts documenting everything done to the car its just that the motor build was back in 1998. Here are a couple photos of the car.
Ah I misunderstood.
Great looking car. Even if the build was done in 1998 if it really was a money no object build, as long as it was serviced and treated right if it passes the PPI go for it.
-Karl
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
rsrfan
Instructor

I remember this car for sale a few years go and it did look like it was nicely done. I will side with the other posters. A PPI is mandatory. This could be a very good deal or a 20K rebuild... Goodluck and let us know how everything turns out...
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I would not touch it without a PPI by a shop that knows their way around these cars very well. That could easily be a ticking time bomb
Old 07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, if you don't live in the town where his mechanic lives you will need to find someone who can work on your EFI conversion. In some areas that has been a problem for a few guys. It would still be a good idea to talk to his mech to find out what kind of work has been done on the car since the major rebuild and how the owner used the car. I love the color and you will be amazed at the coil overs and how they improve the ride.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
ricster
Banned

What part of the country do you live in?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Wow...that is a great looking car with an impressive build sheet.

Oil leaks??? Well one hopes it is minor and can be addressed easily rather than an engine out and case re-seal for example. If I were in your driving shoes factor the cost of addressing these leaks into the price. Get a fair quote from the independent shop doing the PPI for a complete repair bill to address all the major items. Really an engine with 10K miles should not be leaking..so I hope it is minor stuff.

If the leakdown looks good and the compression is healthy..go for it!

Those wheels are Kinesis BTW...beautiful too.
Good luck!
Yasin
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
jstnoc
Track Day

Thanks for the responses guys all comments are usefull. I am in Riverside CA or San Juan Capistrano CA. Unfortunately I will only have 3 days with the new car before a neck surgery. So I am going to sleep those 3 nights inside the 930! LOL

-He emailed me back with a detailed list of every service, upgrade, and or part replacement from the time of the rebuild. It is a pretty extensive list and looks like both past owners kept this car in prestine condition and treated her like a child. I will be taking the car to Daniels in Costa Mesa.

******** Can anyone tell me how the "DRUCK PRESSURE" gauge should read with a motor like this?? What bar should I be at in initial startup idle? 3000 rpm? Once fully warmed up at IDLE?

Here is what I noticed which seems the same as my old 1962 VW bug with a Air cooled 2275 turbo motor. Once fully warmed up and taking her for a mild test run on a hot day 95 degrees out, she pulls 4-5 Bars while cruising in second at 35-40. But down to 1-1.5 bars at idle. Is this normal?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

My 930 is 3 bars at idle and just a mere blip of the throttle pegs it at 5 bars...what oil is in that car?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Just wondering what is he asking for the car? You can PM me if you like. What EFI system is the car? If it is a really old system you might have a hard time finding someone to work on it. A newer EFI system is really easy to work on once you figure some basics out.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
jstnoc
Track Day

I think it has 20/50 Castrol synthetic in it.

The fuel system is Electromotive crank fire engine management system. I know nothing about them but looks like they are still in business and have a ton of products and updates.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Nice build. Where did the RSR come into play? That is simply a modified 930.
PPI and dyno verification of power and AFRs. A K27S will not support 500WHP.

Quick Reply: Need Help with first 930 turbo purchase (RSR)