Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What is a fair price for this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM
jpilcher
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a fair price for this car?

Hi Guys

I'm new to this board. I am currently in the market for a 84-89 930 Turbo.
I came across this add and was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price to pay. It is a California car. Single owner. It's being sold by a dealer.
Dealer has owned the car for 2 years.

1985 Porsche 911 / 930 Turbo

Body Style 2 door Body Colour White Transmission 4-speed Manual Interior Trim Black Fuel Type Gas Engine 3.3L H6 Turbo
400-HP, Only 64,500mi
5000mi on Complete Rebuild
One Owner, Full Service Records
Accident Free w/ Flawless Original Paint

Description
Perfect $25k Steel Slant Nose Conversion Parts direct from Germany., 930S Front Spolier with Integrated Oil Cooler, Original BBS 3-piece Racing Wheels, RSR Racing Suspension, Large Front & Rear Sway Bars, SSI Stainless Headers, Flowmaster Dual Outlet Exhaust, Fast-Spooling Garret Turbocharger, Polished & Ported Cylinder Heads, Tial Wastegate, Aluminum Flywheel & Lightweight Clutch Assembly

Leakdown: 1% on all Cylinders
Compression: 133-135 psi on all Cylinders

Dealer is asking 53,900. Appraised at $62000.Body and interior are very good
Car shows really well.

Let me know if you think this dealer is in the ballpark.

Thankks in advance.

John
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome... Pictures would help....

If its not an original slant or special wishes car - then its worth the same as a standard turbo...

My guess - between 35k-45k.... Depending on condition...

Others will chime in eventually....

Good luck
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
jpilcher
7th Gear

My understanding is that it is not an original factory slant or special wish car.
Car was owned by a doctor. Had the dealer install the slant upgrade.
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Nice car....also looks like it has the expensive high dollar Recaros from the '80s.

What was done on the rebuild, do you ahve a build sheet also who did the rebuild. Some nice aftermarket parts installed from your descriprion so obviously owned by someone who was not shy about spending on the car - a good thing!

If it is an '85 car, then it is a Euro spec with the better flowing CIS fuel head and no emissions equipment. So 300hp stock.

You might be able to get it cheaper than $53K..low ball them and see if they will bite?

Yasin
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Originally Posted by jpilcher
Hi Guys

I'm new to this board. I am currently in the market for a 84-89 930 Turbo.
I came across this add and was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price to pay. It is a California car. Single owner. It's being sold by a dealer.
Dealer has owned the car for 2 years.

1985 Porsche 911 / 930 Turbo

Body Style 2 door Body Colour White Transmission 4-speed Manual Interior Trim Black Fuel Type Gas Engine 3.3L H6 Turbo
400-HP, Only 64,500mi
5000mi on Complete Rebuild
One Owner, Full Service Records
Accident Free w/ Flawless Original Paint

Description
Perfect $25k Steel Slant Nose Conversion Parts direct from Germany., 930S Front Spolier with Integrated Oil Cooler, Original BBS 3-piece Racing Wheels, RSR Racing Suspension, Large Front & Rear Sway Bars, SSI Stainless Headers, Flowmaster Dual Outlet Exhaust, Fast-Spooling Garret Turbocharger, Polished & Ported Cylinder Heads, Tial Wastegate, Aluminum Flywheel & Lightweight Clutch Assembly

Leakdown: 1% on all Cylinders
Compression: 133-135 psi on all Cylinders

Dealer is asking 53,900. Appraised at $62000.Body and interior are very good
Car shows really well.

Let me know if you think this dealer is in the ballpark.

Thankks in advance.

John
Couple of things......
Can't be a flawless "original" paint since the front wings and front valance have been replaced with the slantnose fenders and valance, which I assume do not come painted from the factory. I shouldn't be so nit-picky I know, but it really gets my goat when people start talking "originality".
The appraisal seems way off. Maybe the replacement value of the accumulated parts on the car, but not the replacement of the vehicle itself. I would put that value at least $20K less than what's stated as appraised value by the dealer. Unless it's an independent appraiser, I also question the validity of the appraisal.
My $0.02.

Tial Wastegate(1.0Bar), K27-7006 turbocharger, Euro fuel distrib, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
jpilcher
7th Gear

Yes the car does have some very high price items. Recaros, 935 adjustable struts,
full Slant Nose conversion, upgraded turbo and intercooler, ported and polished heads.

I asked about the conversion and this is the response I receieved
In 1985 there was no factory option for the slantnose for cars ordered in the U.S. or
Canada, so the purchaser imported the car from Germany (brand new),
and had the conversion completed in San Francisco using OEM parts only from Porsche.
This vehicle is a Euro spec vehicle which already comes with larger injectors and fuel rails. Stock horsepower was rated at 300hp, but real hp was 375 hp,
and 325 hp at the wheels. Conservative ratings were required for insurance purposes. Increased horsepower in these engines primarily comes from better engine breathing (polished and ported heads), larger K-27 turbo, and stainless headers and low restrictor mufflers with no CATS.

The dealer has the build sheet. I am hoping to get a full list of everything that was done
this coming weekend.

Dealer has informed me that the previous owner spent close to $150,000 us on this car.

Car may have been tracked early in its life, but in discussing with owner
(only one owner since new), he was insistent the car was always in top race
ready condition, (car is 100% corner balanced) even though he didn't drive the car hard.
He was originally inspired by the Porsche 934/935 race successes in Europe,
and this car is as close as you can get to the original.
The car also has 935 adjustable struts.

I will try low balling and see where it goes from there.

Thanks in Advance.

John
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 PM
shelbygtkr
Instructor

Originally Posted by WERK-I
The appraisal seems way off. Maybe the replacement value of the accumulated parts on the car, but not the replacement of the vehicle itself. I would put that value at least $20K less than what's stated as appraised value by the dealer.
This car is for sale in Canada explains why the price is way off in the U.S. market, i don't think its selling anytime soon for anywhere near what they are asking in U.S. $. There's a immaculate black 16,000 mile '84 thats been for sale for months in California for less $ than this white slant.

link: http://orangevilleautosport.autotrad...0ceb873064.htm

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260574793798
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that the conversion is important if it was done by a Porsche dealer with all Porsche parts. It certainly adds value to it if one like the look and quality of the improvements. It will never be rated at the same price level as a real slant but it is a real nice car with all of the same features as a SW or factory car. It is over priced but I would not compare it to a similar car with no improvements and if you like the slant look then a little extra should be worth it. I would price it in the high 30's to mid 40's. Hell, the parts alone are worth that much. There is guy on this forum looking for slant fenders with lights which I think would be in the 3 to 4 $K range. Throw in the nice condition Recaros for another $2K and you are up to six extra already. If you get the build sheet and it shows a lot of after market quality parts then you can add about half of those to the price. The suspension is about $4k along with a $500 steering wheel. I'm not a fan of the BBS wheels but they are expensive. To say that this car is the same value as a stock 930 with similar mileage is crazy. IMHO
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
jpilcher
7th Gear

Hi Guys

I want to thank everyone that has responded.

I have a better idea of where I think the car should be priced.
I going to offer $42500.00 CAD this weekend.

Car is about 1 1/2 hours north of where I am currently.

Wishme luck.

Regards

John
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Best of luck, John.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jpilcher
This vehicle is a Euro spec vehicle which already comes with larger injectors and fuel rails. Stock horsepower was rated at 300hp, but real hp was 375 hp, and 325 hp at the wheels. Conservative ratings were required for insurance purposes. Increased horsepower in these engines primarily comes from better engine breathing (polished and ported heads), larger K-27 turbo, and stainless headers and low restrictor mufflers with no CATS.
He's full of it. Euro cars were not 375bhp stock.

Furthermore, for that price you should at least get a car without a warped dash

Quick Reply: What is a fair price for this car?