911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

bov conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bov conversion kit

Does anyone here know if there is a conversion kit out there to get rid of the bypass valve and replace it with a bov? I have a good BOV i checked kokeln and they have a kit for their long neck intercoolers but. I am happy with my andial intercooler and just need the part that goes from the inercooler outlet to the throttle body. That particular part is not in the kit from Kokeln. any one have any ideas? other that cutting up and welding on the recirc valve?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
DWalker
Racer

Synapse makes a kit to adapt their BOV to a Bosche style mounting, I usually have one aound here somewhere and pictures of the fitting can be found on their websitee I would guess.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy the rubber elbow from Porsche and buy an adapter pipe from it to the pipe going to the turbo at a parts store or have one made at a muffler shop. The smaller rubber hose between the adapter and turbo pipe is another Porsche item or an aftermarket silicone hose can be used. The only thing left is to fill in the gap between the turbo and TB if the Andial isn't a long neck. Somebody here or on Pelican used their old by pass valve by cutting off the section between the IC and TB. Looked good and was cheap.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Somebody here or on Pelican used their old by pass valve by cutting off the section between the IC and TB.
I've been toying with that idea, vs. spending a $hitload on a new longneck IC. But I really don't want to cut up a perfectly functional bypass manifold boat anchor. But if I were to find one for cheap somewhere, I would cut if off in a heartbeat. Who knows, I may want to return her all back to stock someday for that special buyer that will pay me $10,000 more for stock vs. modified (there are always a few fools out there).

I would think that a silicone adaptor with the proper ID's would work just fine to bridge the gap between the IC and the TB. Then, silicone elbows (if a 964 elbow can't be had) and BOV to complete the setup.

Oh, and then fabricated IC mounts would also be needed.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

yeah the part i was looking for was the one that goes between the tb and the outlet of the intercooler. D walker you have the link to the synapse website?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
DWalker
Racer

Well thier site is synapseengineering.com but they have changed it a bit and instead of product descriptions it takes you to thier online store, which is a bit confusing I think. The adaptor to plug thier BOV into where the Bosch DV goes is here:
http://synapseengineering.com/cart/p...ange-17-2.html

the actual BOV is here: http://synapseengineering.com/cart/p...Black-7-2.html

Those should give you a good start on laying something out, but Im having a hard time picturing exactly how it would be done on your setup. I use that specific BOV on a lot of applications and it works flawlessly. Since the boost pressure on the back of the valve holds it shut it should never leak unless damaged, and it releases boost pressure (its real purpose) instantly.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Do a search. Seems like there are lots out there for peanuts.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWalker
Well thier site is synapseengineering.com but they have changed it a bit and instead of product descriptions it takes you to thier online store, which is a bit confusing I think. The adaptor to plug thier BOV into where the Bosch DV goes is here:
http://synapseengineering.com/cart/p...ange-17-2.html

the actual BOV is here: http://synapseengineering.com/cart/p...Black-7-2.html

Those should give you a good start on laying something out, but Im having a hard time picturing exactly how it would be done on your setup. I use that specific BOV on a lot of applications and it works flawlessly. Since the boost pressure on the back of the valve holds it shut it should never leak unless damaged, and it releases boost pressure (its real purpose) instantly.
Hmmm....linky no workie. Here's what I get in return:

Site error: the file /services5/webpages/util/b/e/besserwisser.site.aplus.net/public/cart/index.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so to be installed by the site administrator.

Being far to old to be computer savvy, I have no idea what an IonCube is. Can I buy one of those down at Walmart?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 PM
DWalker
Racer

yeah im no computer pro either- but I will see what I can do.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWalker
yeah im no computer pro either- but I will see what I can do.
Found it: Though not sure how it will work to adapt an IC to the throttle body. Would have to do some measuring.

Overview
Inches: 6.25" x 4" x 2" Cm: 15.87 x 10.16 x 5.08
Description
Synchronic BOV and Synchronic DV 1” inlet flange in Aluminum 6061-T6 black anodized.
This adapter allows all SB001 and DV001 to be fitted onto applications that require a 1” inlet
hose end fitting. Various applications require different clearances and the flange diameter
alone does not indicate application fitment.

COMMON APPLICATIONS:
• Audi
• Bosch Diverter Valve Replacement
• BMW
• Porsche
• Skoda
• Volkswagen
• Volvo

KIT CONTENTS INCLUDE:
• Flange
• BOV/DV O-Ring seal

Last edited by Mark Houghton; 11-12-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I already have a bov and was planning on getting the 965 elbow, I just need the part that goes from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body once the diverter valve assemly is removed.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
rsrfan
Instructor

I do not think that any readily available silicon transition exists to bridge the gap. At one time I had a full bay "short neck" intercooler and I was looking for an adapter to allow me to run the updated C2 recirc assembly. If you look at the factory diverter assembly it is offset by about 3/4 of an inch or so which makes the transition difficult. I believe that at one time Performance Products sold an adapter ( in the early '90s) so they are out there. As referenced above, Sandman on the Pelican forums cut and welded his factory assembly for adapter purposes. He has since installed a C2 intercooler and may have the adapter lying around in the garage. I would reach out to him and check.
If not, you can usually pick up used assemblies for peanuts because so many convert to "longnecks." In the end, I ended up installing a C2 intercooler so did not go the adapter route..
Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I know a hose will not fit I had heard performance products made an adapter but they no longer carry them. I was really NOT wanting to cut up a recirc valve and weld it but it looks like that's my only option. The one about i saw got sold on a another thread.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Here's one for sale on Pelican: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post4973509
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

And another: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post4974317

Quick Reply: bov conversion kit