Innovate O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 AM
ADBkennels
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Innovate O2 Sensor

Good day!

I would like to ask those who have installed or know about this product if it would work on a 1987 930. I have a defective O2 sensor and would like to upgrade to this one.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...4&cat=0&page=1

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the inno broad band sensor and they reccommend putting it after the turbo. I believe it will give false results if you put in the original O2 hole.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Innovate LM-1 and have the sensor mounted in a bung right after the outlet from the muffler. The LM-1 is a box like mini computer, so your gauges would work just fine since they use the same wideband sensor. There is a lot of debate about locating the sensor and you'll hear everything from right after the turbo to someplace after the muffler. My muffler has a 2 foot exhaust pipe so I mounted it in the 8 oclock position right after the muffler and because of the distance from the end, I get no false readings from 02 creeping up the pipe. Make sure you don't mount the sensor in the 6 oclock position because these cars generate a lot of condensation, and if the sensor sits in the pool of condensation, it ruins it after a while. I would have prefered mounting it higher, but the top of the sensor hits the exhaust plumbing....so I had to clock it down further.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

ADB, if your looking to replace a defective stock 02 sensor the simple answer is no. The stock sensor is a narrow band and the innovate is a wide-band sensor, so the signals are different. Narrow bands are 0-1V and wide-bands are 0-5v. Also, it is not ideal to install a wide-band sensor pre-turbo as the exhaust pressure of that mounting location will adversely affect it's accuracy. What you can do, and I have done on mine with an LM1(now replaced by the innovate LM2), is mount the innovate 02 sensor somewhere after the turbo as Chuck mentioned. The LM1(LM2) can generate a narrowband output that can substitute for your defective stock O2 sensor. I'm not sure whether the LC1 has that ability or not. The cool thing is, that you can configure the LM1(LM2) to shift that narrow band sensor signal to the stock lambda computer so that it will target a more suitable A/F ratio
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM
JFairman
Racer

The LC-1 has the narrow band analog outputs too.

The wideband oxygen sensor is made by Bosch.
They usually sell for around $70 or a little less and are available from many online places last time I looked.

Mount them vertical between 3 and 9 0-clock in the pipe to keep them out of condensation that will settle towards the bottom, and at least 6" after the turbo so they don't get overcooked. Right after the muffler works ok too if there is at least 12" of pipe after it.

Seems I remember hearing even VW dealers sell them for a reasonable price but I havn't checked on that.

Last edited by JFairman; 04-23-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Most of the guys I've talked to .....and including my factory setup....there's only about 5 inches between the turbo and the exhaust....very little room to maneuver around in, and some folks think the heat generated so close to the turbo can be a bit excessive for the sensor....although I've seen the "How-To" on making a heat shield out of copper...so some folks have put it there.....but if you have the longer tailpipe so as not to suck in 02, it's so easy to put right after the muffler...lots of clearance and easy to route the cable away from heat.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck is right about the heat sink. I made this one from a one inch copper plumbing fitting for about $15. I have since put the bung after the muff because of heat time out errors on the LM-1. There isn't a lot of room in the area as you can see. I didn't make it clear but you hack saw the "T" fitting down the middle with the 'T' facing up or down in a vice.
Attached Images      
Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I was wondering where you got the clearance, and now I see that you cut a hole in the bottom of the valence and the sensor sticks straight up thru the bottom. I didn't want to cut anything which is why I ended up with positioning it right after the muffler.

I recalled someone had made up a heat shield...and now I see it was you.....you don't need a shield afte the muffler since it doesn't get that hot....or do you also run your shield there too?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM
ADBkennels
Track Day

Thank you very much for all that replied. I really appreciate all your suggestions.

SOCAL MIke, you said
"The cool thing is, that you can configure the LM1(LM2) to shift that narrow band sensor signal to the stock lambda computer so that it will target a more suitable A/F ratio."

if I get the LM2, what cable will I be using to connect from the narrow band output of LM2 to the stock lambda computer?

Thanks again in advance!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
ADBkennels
Track Day

Socal Mike, is this the cable to be plugged to the LM2 output and connected to where the old oxygen sensor is plugged?
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=269&page=1

Kindly let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

If you choose to mount the sensor directly after the muffler (as I have done), my experience is that it never "times out" due to excessive heat. I have about 8 inches of tailpipe, and even with that it doesn't seem to read way off at idle....about 15.0 at idle, then 14.2 at cruise. For me monitoring the idle isn't why I have the thing so it doesn't really matter if a little bit of air mixes in from the tailpipe. Crank the engine up, blow some exhaust volume out the back, and watch all the phantom air go away!

I'm running with an LC1 and analog G3 gauge. Very basic cockpit monitoring of critical goings-on. I don't have my stock O2 hooked up any longer, so can't attest to the narrow band analog output of the LC1 fed to the stock lambda control system.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

ABD, yes looking at the lm2 manual that looks to be the cable you need. For my LM1, I used the #3730 analog output that has a 1/8" male plug cable. I have my sensor mounted right after a fabspeed single outlet at the 12 oclock position with a flat 3x3 copper heat sink as I was having some over-temp problems initially without it. My sensor sits just under the turbine, so it gets alot of radiated heat.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that same part in my car mounted between the turbo and muffler. I either need to build a shield/heatsink like rudy or move to after the muffler. It dies easily at the track, especially when I blast out of the pit.

For the zork tube, a sheild/heat sink is the only answer I guess?

BTW, I''ve bought the O2 sensors at the VW dealer.

Quick Reply: Innovate O2 Sensor