Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EFI bug again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There is a GT3 in my engine bay too. Meaning I could have bought an GT3 for what I spent...

Instead of rebuilding my tired 3.3, I thought I could save money by starting with a 3.6 from a 964 Carrera and adding the EFI etc. The reality is these motors are substantially different and there are a lot of other things you need to modify to get them to fit. It's not just an engine swap.

Though now after 7 years of debugging, it runs really well. It's not smooth or comfortable, but give what I did how could it be. It does go like a bat out of hell.

Forgetting about the horsepower numbers, it's more about the torque availability. The 8.5:1 CR and EFI mean there are no dead spots in the power curve. Torque everywhere.

Though if I was dumb enough to do it again, I would pop a 993TT motor in there and live happily ever after.

Good point Geoffrey, I am on my 3rd Tec3 computer. And God knows how many crank sensors or map sensors I have consumed (AC Delco crap). Don't pick the computer because it's cheaper. Sometimes you get what you pay for. If I did it after market again, I would spend the extra on Motec.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been doing EFI since 1987 and MoTeC since the early 90s and I have not had one bad ECU and I've only replaced 1 or 2 crank sensors which failed due to user error.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3.4 twin plug, motec m600 on a GT4088r turbo. Mapped by JUDD on their engine dyno. Forsale soon! Oh, 603bhp, 550bhp at 1bar.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

Originally Posted by JamesE
I have a 3.4 twin plug, motec m600 on a GT4088r turbo. Mapped by JUDD on their engine dyno. Forsale soon! Oh, 603bhp, 550bhp at 1bar.
why would you sell such a car??
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my EFI. Perfect driveability and 530hp @ 0.85bar on 91 octane from 3.3L
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I'm only selling the engine as I have another engine being built which will be insane once it is finished.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I've been doing EFI since 1987 and MoTeC since the early 90s and I have not had one bad ECU and I've only replaced 1 or 2 crank sensors which failed due to user error.
OK so which one would you recommend if I go to a motec. And is there a map that can be down loaded for different 390 engine set ups? Also I have a 3.2 intake that has all the fuel regulators and fuel rails and injectors. will I be able to use all of that or will I need different injectors etc. Are there more than one map, for intstance can I have a street setting, a heavy traffic setting, and a race track setting, and maybe one for crappy gas?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Ken, I would say that , Yes, the MoTec is one of the best EFI systems out there, and you get what you pay for. I however, also believe that : An EFI system is only as good as the person who tunes it!! I am not going to promote one system over the other, but I will say this. If you want to go with MoTec, find out what shops down by you have experience in MoTec systems. Find out how many cars they have done. Find out what they charge for Getting an engine from a "base tune" to a completed, running, driving, car. One that starts good in the cold, as well as when the engine is warm, and its 120 deg outside.
Find out what companies have support phone lines open when you need it the most ( After hours, when they guy or shop that tuned your car have gone home).
You will find that it takes a good bit of dyno and street time to tune an engine correctly. Most guys that already have these systems in thier cars are not willing to just "give up their maps" as they have a ton of money wrapped up in them. Also on that point, each engine is different, different dispacement, different cams, head work, fuel injector size, differnet turbo, etc, etc, etc. All of that effects the fuel and spark maps that you will be using. Having an engine that will start in 20 deg weather as well as 120 deg weather is also a biggy for me. No use spending all of this money and not having a system that atleast runs as good as stock!

Now the MS crowd ( megasquirt), are a different bunch all together. They share maps and such. But its a very cheap system that you put together yourself. I have no problem putting on of these systems on one of my VW's as the motor , if it does blow, only cost a few hundred bucks from a junkyard. My 930 .... thats a different story. I am not doing to get a free map from someone who has no idea what it means to tune an engine...and then trust my $25,000 plus engine to that map... no way in hell!!!

Geoffrey knows what he is talking about. He is one of the best in the business when it come to EFI. And I am sure that there are places near you in Fl that can work with a MoTec system and know how to tune it. There are also others out there that may offer close to the same performance but half the cost. You will need to find out who handles those systems and see if they have experience in tuning that system to a 930. Call JB Racing in Talevarus, Fl... call Alex Job Racing... see what brands they are familiar with. See what they recommend you should go with.

For me it came down to a few items... in order of importance...

1. support ( after hours and someone close by)

2. product features

3. ease of tuning

4. price

Hope this helps...
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Thanks!! the map I was looking for to down load was just a base to get it running enough to take it to the tuner. I wasnt planning on using someone elses map and hoping the engine didnt blow. Just better to have someplace to start thats already kinda close.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Most have instruction or come with a base map to atleast get your car started... but with as expensive as our engines are... I would just tow it to the tuners...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Most have instruction or come with a base map to atleast get your car started... but with as expensive as our engines are... I would just tow it to the tuners...
God I hate that i have done every thing my self. Hate relying on other people to do things. Guess I am too **** and too much of a perfectionist about how things should be done.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

one more question I have a spare set of heads I was planning on getting them twin plugged, portmatching them with the 3.2 intake. porting them. then installing them when i have the engine out this summer. that way way when I switch to EFI a little later i can just pull everything off the top and replace it withthe 3.2 intake and all the efi stuff. Is this a bad idea?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would save some time and that's what I waited on longest [besides the lower valve covers being drilled for twin plug by EBS (Never again #$%^&*!!!)]
Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Ken, I think that is a very good idea.... Get all of the parts.. rebuild the heads.. twin plug... open up the intake and exhaust ports... get the 3.2L intake, fuel rails, etc, etc, etc.. then it could be just a couple of weeks of down time before you have your engine back in the car....

Quick Reply: EFI bug again