OT: My Healey is finally painted

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: My Healey is finally painted

I haven't really posted anything about my Healey project, but I finally have the car to the point where it's getting relatively interesting, so I thought I'd post up some pictures.

The car is a 1967 AH 3000 "BJ8". It was originally painted Metallic Golden Beige- the color that replaced Florida Green to commemorate the 15th year of Austin Healey production. Little did the company know that the color would also commemorate the last year of AH production. Roughly 350 of the 3000's in this color were produced.

My car was ordered by a gentleman in the Armed Forces that was stationed in Great Britain. He had the car delivered to him in GB and then he shipped it back to the States after his stint there. The car was then purchased by it's second owner roughly 15 years ago.

I was in my mechanics shop during the work on my 930 and in walks a gentleman with a picture of an Austin Healey asking if we knew anyone interested in a "Big Healey". My ears perked up. My wife and I had always loved the lines of the Healey and we jumped at the opportunity.

Here's the car being delivered. It doesn't look too bad does it?

Anyway, I drove and enjoyed the car for a couple of years, but the paint quality really bugged me, so I took the car to my mechanic to get his impressions of the car mechanically to see if anything needed sorting at the same time as the paint. One thing led to another, and I decided that the car needed a complete restoration. The decision turned out to be a good one as the car's frame was about to crack in half due to corrosion. Considering that the car didn't have seat belts (they were a factory option that the original owner decided to pass on) and I had been driving the car in a spirited manner up until that point, it obviously gave me pause. Needless to say, I made the right decision to have the car restored.

Upon questioning about the cars silver over black color combination, the owner told me that his wife and kids had "surprised" him with a respray for his birthday one year. I came to find that the story probably wasn't factual The car had been hit in the drivers front. There was no frame damage, but I came to find that the headlight housing had been pushed in and filled poorly prior to the respray. He obviously didn't understand the significance of the car's original color.

[Here is a shot of the drivers floorboard after stripping the fiberglass filler from the metal]

[Here's the same area after metalwork]

[Sanblasting revealed more swiss-cheese effect. Notice that the drivers and passengers outrigger portions of the frame had to be cut out and replaced.]

[Here's one of the new outriggers]

The amount of rust was eye opening to me, but I found out later that the cars condition was about on par for many 3000's that weren't meticulously maintained during their lives. The cars had no rust proofing from the factory, and Austin Healey and other British carmakers of the period weren't as much concerned with the cars future longevity as they were with making a profit and staying afloat, so some corners were cut in the production line.

So the car was stripped, blasted, and all parts of the frame and body panels that needed metalwork were done. I was left with a roller that needed paint.

My metalwork guy (seems he should have a more honorable title due to the quality of his work) was responsible for painting the frame, inside the engine compartment, and the cockpit area after he finished the metalwork.

Then I had the car transported across the state to the painter. Now five months after delivery to the painter, I have a painted car.

Here she is all primed and ready for paint.

And finally- painted.

Now the car will be sanded and buffed and hopefully I'll take delivery next week.

Now all I have to worry about is the engine rebuild, complete interior restoration, suspension overhaul and complete electrical re-install.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my other project.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

You will have a beautiful car when it is finished. You are a brave man....
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Awesome, always loved the 3000, great car! Did you know they were going to call it the Mille Miglia?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
Awesome, always loved the 3000, great car! Did you know they were going to call it the Mille Miglia?
No I didn't- interesting.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Nothing like a Brit toy to keep you grounded. I usually keep one or two laying around myself!

Very nice!

Paul

Last edited by onboost; 01-15-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rebuilt one of those years ago and I can appreciate the work you did. Always thought it was one of the best proportioned car ever made. If you do the engine right it will last for ever since it was a work engine before it was a car engine. And the simple overdrive! Why couldn't Porsche have employed it.
Nice job!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in high school, my wife's sister had a boyfriend with a purple 3000 MKII. We (my wife) and I used to babysit her niece by getting to use the AH, strapping the baby in the back in an infant seat with a couple of bungee cords (!) and heading off to the beach for the day.

I have really fond memories of that car and have always wanted one of my own.

Great Car!

B
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rudy
I rebuilt one of those years ago and I can appreciate the work you did. Always thought it was one of the best proportioned car ever made. If you do the engine right it will last for ever since it was a work engine before it was a car engine. And the simple overdrive! Why couldn't Porsche have employed it.
Nice job!
Interestingly, my car was fitted w/ the non-overdrive transmission and non-adjustable steering wheel making it it even more rare. I have not come across another non-overdrive Metallic Golden Beige car.

The big thing these days is to put in the fully syncro'd 5 speed 'box from a Toyota pickup- with simple modifications it bolts in quite easily. Having a syncro on first would be nice, but not nice enough for me to stray from originality.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayhawk
When I was in high school, my wife's sister had a boyfriend with a purple 3000 MKII. We (my wife) and I used to babysit her niece by getting to use the AH, strapping the baby in the back in an infant seat with a couple of bungee cords (!) and heading off to the beach for the day.

I have really fond memories of that car and have always wanted one of my own.

Great Car!

B
Cool story
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just beautiful! Keep us posted!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I truly commend you and can appreciate your story and relate to the frustration, dedication and MONEY for a complete restoration project of this magnitude.

I can only imagine how much this is costing. But money aside, your guy is ooooozing talent and I commend his work, and attention to detail.

Don't get me started on why these beautiful cars were never built with longevity in mind and hence them all turning into a bucket of rust over time. Lack of long range sight on car manufacturers when they only cared about "sales and production".

British car quality was always ****ty and as the cars got older they just did not age well (mechanical and electrical reliability), and average even at the Aston Martin \ Rolls Royce level.

So I bow down to you sir! You are sitting on a $70K+ car there.

Yasin
Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way cool, and a boat load of work I know. I used to be a British car fanatic, and still have the 1960 MGA that I restored some odd 25 years ago. A huge undertaking, one that I no longer have the patience or time for. The sad part is that she doesn't get driven much when I can jump in the 930. Which one to drive all depends on frame of mind; fast and furious, or styling with the top down on a sunny day. Both have their appeal.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
DDD
Pro

nice!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Very cool. Looking forward to updates.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car!

About 25 years ago, I was at the dealer auction and saw the same car sell for $12k. It was immaculate. I didn't know what it was worth and didn't bid, but after I left, I looked it up and was kicking myself for not buying it.

Quick Reply: OT: My Healey is finally painted