Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Hankook Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the toyo is avail for the correct front and rear sizes...which toyo tread design is best for our 930's? does anyone have actual experience w/ toyo?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by ferraripete
what year is your 930? 87-89 is a 225/50/16 on the front and 245/45/16 on the rear.
My '87s got 205s up front, FWIW. I'd love some 225s, would help with the annoying front brake lockup I get. I'm looking forward to wearing these bishes OUT!

What's the widest one can run on the OE Fuchs? I'd imagine a 265 or even maybe a 275 would fit on the 9 rears - but - doubting anyone makes one.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
DDD
Pro

the toyo is avail for the correct front and rear sizes...which toyo tread design is best for our 930's? does anyone have actual experience w/ toyo?
Okay, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Here is a link. As you can see, the Toyo for the street weighs an astonishing 3 pounds each less than the Hankooks, which are already lightweight. You will lose 12 pounds of unsprung weight just by running those puppies.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2454516/

Look, I don't have anything really negative to say about my hankook rs2 except that they aren't as good as I hoped. I need even more rear grip/stickiness and without a doubt the braking seems a bit soft.

As far as Toyo, my friend is a mechanic and he has tried all these bargain tires on his 911, from the Fuzion to the yokohoma to the others, and this guy drives hard. He likes the grip of the Toyo.

Also, Dewolf and some other fellow were praising the toyo tire a while back in a similiar thread if I remember correctly. They tried the hankook and toyo.

If you don't want to spring for Toyos, than just buy the Hankooks and run them for a while and see if it is enough tire for you. With my lowered gearing, my situation could be different from yours.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:50 PM
ferraripete
Racer

thanks for your reply. i am going to go with the toyos. they do have them in the proper sizes and they sound pretty good.

i was even considering the michelin dot track tire as i dont drive my car much...they would last approx 4k miles or so. but given your story on the toyos, i am going to try them and see...they will be as good or better than my old S03 pole positions.

thank you for the link.

pcb
Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Sorry... 'which' Toyo's???

-Paul
Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
ferraripete
Racer

ddd,

on your advice, i just ordered the toyo ra1 soft compound. they are the dot comp tire but the indication is that they will easily give me 7-10k miles of street life...perfect!

and the good news...they are in stock at edge. i will give you an update as to how they feel and sound as soon as they are mounted.

thank you for your help and push in the toyo direction.

225/50/16 fr and 245/45/16 r

best,

pcb
Old 05-18-2008, 02:14 PM
DDD
Pro

ddd,

on your advice, i just ordered the toyo ra1 soft compound. they are the dot comp tire but the indication is that they will easily give me 7-10k miles of street life...perfect!

and the good news...they are in stock at edge. i will give you an update as to how they feel and sound as soon as they are mounted.

thank you for your help and push in the toyo direction.

225/50/16 fr and 245/45/16 r

best,

pcb
You got the competition tires instead of the street tires. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I think it will be pretty radical grip for the street.

I am not really familiar with those but I would think that they have even more grip at the expense of some comfort/noise. I think those will be as high performance as it gets for a 16 inch wheel.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Toyo T1r tire for the street, but I think you probably got the most performance you can get. So that will have its own benefits.

This will be exciting to follow. Would like to hear how those tires grip!

I have a feeling that they will tend to flat spot if you don't roll your car back and forth about a half a wheel length every so often when you aren't driving your car for more than a week. I do that for my Hankooks as well, just push the car about a foot forward or back every so often.

I think you will have increased your acceleration a tiny bit because those competition tires are going to be smaller diameter due to less tread thickness, which is similiar to lowering your gearing a small amount. Probably not enough to notice.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:28 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
Sorry... 'which' Toyo's???

-Paul
EDIT: Turns out that people have been using the Toyo RA1 for the ultimate grip. So Pete did get the right tire and I was the confused party.

Maybe Pete will start a trend around here towards all out performance tires. I only drive my car 100-200 miles a month so I don't care much about longevity. If the tire is not too hard a ride, why not?

Last edited by DDD; 05-19-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The Hankook RS2 has a stickier tread compound vs. the Toyo T1r (200 vs. 280 treadwear). The T1r also has softer sidewalls than the RS2.

The RA1 is sticker (100 treadwear) and has firmer sidewalls than both the RS2 and T1r. Plenty of people drive RA1's on the street.

My $0.02 - All 3 tires are excellent tires for their intended purposes.

RA1 = track tire with some street use.
RS2 = street tire that does well in autox and limited track use.
T1r = street tire that does ok in limited track use.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Kaefer
Instructor

Originally Posted by DDD
I have those tires and was prepared to be impressed by them but so far they are only okay.

First of all, I get some wheelspin, which is not surprising because I got some before on bridgestone.

Secondly, in a comparison test a while back, hankook was not very good in braking, and in the real world I tend to agree. It was good in cornering grip, and I agree with that.

I guess I want a lot out of my tire, and next time will try the TOYO which is very soft and has more grip, at least according to my mechanic friend. It will only last half as long however.

Hankook is a good value, lightweight tire, but you notice the braking isn't very crisp and the tire is not as sticky as I had hoped to tame the back end of the 930 on the gas.

Not saying the other tire brands are any better-except maybe TOYO, which I will try next for more maximum performance. And half the tread life.

I originally picked hankook because they seemed a step up on most of the other tires in overall value and performance.
(I apologize to the OP for this slight thread hijack!)

DDD,

I'm surprised to hear you say this. Can you clarify 'braking isn't very crisp'?

I have a couple questions:

1. What air pressures are you running front and rear in your RS2's?

2. Do your front wheels lock-up under heavy braking?

I notice you run 225/50 front tires on 7" wheels. One way to firm up the feel of the front tires is upgrade your front wheels to 8" wheels. 911 or 951 8x16 Fuchs would work on your car. I did this awhile back with one of my cars and the feel of the front end firmed up quite a bit (going from 7" wide wheels to 8" wide wheels with the same tires).

Another way is to simply increase your front tire pressures a bit (depending on where they are now).

If you want to keep the same size wheels and tires on your car your next step for increased traction would be to step up to competition tires (like the RA1). Otherwise you'll need to get larger wheels and tires.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Kaefer
(I apologize to the OP for this slight thread hijack!)

DDD,

I'm surprised to hear you say this. Can you clarify 'braking isn't very crisp'?

I have a couple questions:

1. What air pressures are you running front and rear in your RS2's?

2. Do your front wheels lock-up under heavy braking?

I notice you run 225/50 front tires on 7" wheels. One way to firm up the feel of the front tires is upgrade your front wheels to 8" wheels. 911 or 951 8x16 Fuchs would work on your car. I did this awhile back with one of my cars and the feel of the front end firmed up quite a bit (going from 7" wide wheels to 8" wide wheels with the same tires).

Another way is to simply increase your front tire pressures a bit (depending on where they are now).

If you want to keep the same size wheels and tires on your car your next step for increased traction would be to step up to competition tires (like the RA1). Otherwise you'll need to get larger wheels and tires.

Hey Scott,

You saw the Bridgestones that my car came with when I got it. Those tires just had more grip when braking. The Hankooks don't brake especially well in the comparison test that I read either. You can feel it just takes longer to slow down. It may only be a foot or two, like any comparison, the difference is not always huge, just noticeable.

Corner grip with the Hankooks seems very good to me, but in a straight line whether accelerating or decelerating, the tire doesn't seem to have enough grip for my application. Rick told me to try the Toyo for that.

I am interested in hearing how the RA1s work out for Pete. I think Hankooks are as good as all the other tires in the 16 inch size, except the Toyo. I guess it is the RA1 that people are running then. So Pete got the right tire for ultimate performance.

I run stock air pressure, so the fronts are actually pretty soft, like 29 lbs. I ran the same pressure in those Bridgestones. I don't really brake hard enough to lock up the brakes. The difference I feel in the tires is just easy to notice. Hankooks do a lot of things well, but braking is not the high light.

I think with a light weight normally aspirated 911 the tires are probably about perfect. I mainly want to minimize wheelspin under hard boost and they aren't getting the job done. Rick told me that the Toyos would grip hard as soon as they get some heat in them, and would not break loose.

I think anybody in doubt can always run the Hankook and see if it works well for their application, because it is a great value tire for sure. I just need a ton of grip in a straight line.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Kaefer
Instructor

Dave,

You're right - when comparing RS2's to RA1's the RA1's have more performance ability across the board.

If straight line traction is an issue for your car, and the RS2's aren't cutting it, then yeah try out the RA1's.

Another option would be to install a LSD!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
DDD
Pro

Yes, my first step is to try the RA1.

Anything after that gets expensive real quick.

The Hankooks have PLENTY of cornering grip, IMO. I think they are better than the other choices for overall value. I just want the rubber to stick to the road better when I hit the gas.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
ferraripete
Racer

ddd,

my ra1's will be delivered on thurs. of this week. i will mount on friday. i will let you know my thoughts and hope they will work out well. i ordered from edge racing ( thank you for providing the link) and they seem like good folks and the prices were in-line.

i have lots of miles on bfg comp t-a's r-1's so i have good basis to compare. the ra-1 should give me more life than the r-1 and they can be flipped on the wheel w/o issue. my negative camber will ensure that i wear these tires out on the insides first. when they get low...i will flip them. if i get 7-10k miles...i will be very happy.

best,

pcb
Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
DDD
Pro

My mechanic friend put those tires on his dad's 911, and they stick.

Quick Reply: Hankook Tires???