Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 88 930 Slant Nose Coupe - Available - Photos

Hi all,

I have not posted in this forum before, but do in other rennlist forumn. I have a friend who asked me to look into value of his 88 930 slant nose coupe. He is thinking of selling it. He has owned the car for many years (since 1993) and is the 2nd owner. The car is a factory slant nose coupe in red with black leather (with red piping with 22,xxx miles from new. It is in good condition as part of a driver collection.

Can you share value opinions and direct me to any place to get more information on the 88 slants. I know they are somewhat rare, but not sure how rare.

I remember the first turbo I ever drove was my uncles 89 slant cab which at the time cost around $125,000 with Alan Johnson Racing mods etc. I remember after the drive I said to him I want one of these "what did this thing set you back" - he looked right at me and said "I think you should consider buying a corvette" - as that was all he figured I could afford!

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 04-25-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that is an open ended question. The very first thing to check is the 505 code on the VIN # inside the driver's side door jamb. If it is a 505 then it moves up a notch in value. The history and records of all work done on the car is aanother notch up if it is there. Paint, interior condition, options, (Sport seats, LSD etc), add another notch. Wheels are important if they are in poor condition but don't add much if they are in good condition. If it were one year newer it would be worth a lot more because of the 5 spd tranny. If it is pure stock it will appeal more to a collector but light mods will appeal more to a driver:ie; new turbo, headers, wastegate, fuelhead etc. These will make the car more drivable and are not considered Porsche icon altering mods. I would say that if all of these conditions are on the plus side then you could expect a low in the high 30K and a high in the high 40k's.
It really comes down to what the market is at the moment he lists it. If he is in no hurry then he might even get into the 50k's. Post some pics and let the sharks on this forum sniff it!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
copyboy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 slant value

While I am not an expert, and auction values can get overpriced (no kidding), I saw a very stock 930 go for over 70K at Barrett Jackson, and a pristine 930 go at RM Auctions for 72K (both plus 10% premium). While it may take a while, I think the 50K+ number is a good one for a no stories, clean car, with records.
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Man that is an open ended question. The very first thing to check is the 505 code on the VIN # inside the driver's side door jamb. If it is a 505 then it moves up a notch in value. The history and records of all work done on the car is aanother notch up if it is there. Paint, interior condition, options, (Sport seats, LSD etc), add another notch. Wheels are important if they are in poor condition but don't add much if they are in good condition. If it were one year newer it would be worth a lot more because of the 5 spd tranny. If it is pure stock it will appeal more to a collector but light mods will appeal more to a driver:ie; new turbo, headers, wastegate, fuelhead etc. These will make the car more drivable and are not considered Porsche icon altering mods. I would say that if all of these conditions are on the plus side then you could expect a low in the high 30K and a high in the high 40k's.
It really comes down to what the market is at the moment he lists it. If he is in no hurry then he might even get into the 50k's. Post some pics and let the sharks on this forum sniff it!
911 Rudy - what is the 505 code on the Vin #? - does that make it an S or some other more desirable distinction? The car is all original, no paint work and is in excellent condition considering it is 20+ years old.

I will get some photos and all the option codes. I have been given similar feedback from a high line Porsche dealer, saying expect $35K- $39K for a low mile non slant and add maybe $10K for the slant. I saw from I believe your information that there were only 145 coupes imported to NA in 1988, so it is pretty rare and given it is totally unmolested and stock I presume it would appeal to a collector.

Thanks for the input.

JCM
Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M505 designation will show on the sticker inside the front hood when you lift it up...it's posted on the inside of the hood along with the other option codes.....M505 for the US model and M506 for the European model. The production figures I saw on an internal Porsche document for 1988 US Production/delivery figures showed 145 coupes, 14 targas, and 112 cabriolets. There are a lot of conversions around so you need to know the things to look for in a factory slant.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
The M505 designation will show on the sticker inside the front hood when you lift it up...it's posted on the inside of the hood along with the other option codes.....M505 for the US model and M506 for the European model. The production figures I saw on an internal Porsche document for 1988 US Production/delivery figures showed 145 coupes, 14 targas, and 112 cabriolets. There are a lot of conversions around so you need to know the things to look for in a factory slant.
Thanks for that Chuck. One of the nice things about this car is I know both Owners (original and current) and where it came from (selling dealer) and the fact that it has spent its entire life in San Diego.

I will confirm on the option tag that it is in fact shows a 505 option on the tag and not a conversion, I will be very surprised if it is not a factory slant. But good to know and thanks for the heads up.

JCM
Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

I now have some more information - car is red with black leather interior with red piping. 22,419 miles. A couple of camera phone photos are attached. The car has HRE wheels, upgraded exhaust and DME and CD player was added. All Stock parts also come with the car, wheels, exhaust and radio is a maybe, can't find right now but probably will.

Thanks for the help with the option codes? Still a few mystery ones?

Option codes are:
C03 - California Emissions
505 - slant nose
533 - Anit theft device
650 - Electric sunroof
07151 - ?
07152 - ?
07153 - ?
07154 - ?
L80k - Red paint - ?
LE - Full Leather - ?
158 - Blaupunct Radio
220 - Limited Slip Differential

Thanks for the help.

JCM
Attached Images   

Last edited by supercup; 04-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try this link....they claim to have over 16,000 option codes listed in their database...http://www.flat-6.net/forum/options.php?make=Porsche

There are also option code databases in RennTech and some of the other forums. I believe option code 220 is the limited slip differential. Mine also has the black seats with the red piping....I'd be able to tell you more, but my book with the build sheets is down south where the car is being spiffed up.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

There's also a list of the option codes somewhere on Pelican.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

This is from that list on Pelican. I don't know what those 6 codes in the middle signify.

Originally Posted by supercup
I now have some more information - car is red with black leather interior with red piping. 22,419 miles.

Can anyone shed any light on the option codes?

Option codes are:
C03 - red paint ?
California emissions
The paint code is found on a sticker in the front trunk, by the passenger front fender, under the carpeting. There'll be a name and number on that little sticker.

505 - slant nose
Slant nose

533 - ?
anti-theft device

650 - ?
electric sunroof

07151 - ?
07152 - ?
07153 - ?
07154 - ?
L80k - ?
LE - ?
158 - ?
radio Blaupunkt Reno

220 - ?
limited slip differential

Thanks for the information.

JCM
Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L80K is normally a paint code.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help.

JCM
Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Added a couple of photos above. Car is available for sale. Any serious buyers PM me and I will put you directly in touch with the owner. $55K is the price. This is a very nice example.

Production memo compliments of another members gallery.

JCM
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Production Memo.pdf (31.6 KB, 155 views)

Quick Reply: 88 930 Slant Nose Coupe - Available - Photos