The new digital warm up regulator has now hit that market

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
TJ930
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* Bump *

Anybody got any news?

I'd love to see another mapping file, if anyone has one that they can send me?

Tom.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM
UT_tech
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Latest News

A update is a bit overdue so here's the latest:

1. We've received a lot of feedback from shops and owners and the base map has substantially improved. A couple of weeks ago we started posting the latest and greatest base map on the UTCIS-PT product page. The current version is here:

https://unwiredtools.com/utcis-pt.asp

2. The UTCIS-PT has a problem with some (not all) RPM signals on 964 models which causes the RPM signal to read high or erratic. We found 2 cars where the tach gauge on the dash stopped reading when the RPM signal was connected to the UTCIS. Both problems were resolved by the development of an RPM Signal Adapter. This adapter dumps the raw RPM signal into an integrator, then a small micro generates a clean buffered pulse signal. This adapter is calibrated using a voltmeter. The voltmeter output is also handy as a signal to a datalogger. The RPM Signal Adapter is available as a no-charge spare part if you're having trouble with your UTCIS-PT RPM input. This Adapter is also useful if you have an aftermarket MSD ignition. Many thanks to Stuart (UK) and Chris (Turbokraft, AZ) for feedback, testing, etc.

3. The initial setup is often complicated by an out of adjustment CO screw. The CO screw position, control pressure, and AFR have to match at idle otherwise you're in for a ton of trial and error of editing the engine maps. We've worked out a quick and easy procedure which uses the narrow O2 sensor already on the car (1980 and later) to get the initial setup working quickly. This procedure is in a new tuning guide which includes additional detail on setting up a 964. The tuning guide can be found here:

http://unwiredtools.com/manuals/UTCI...n_Guide_A2.pdf

4. We've found that 90%+ of dyno tuning time is spent just correlating the control pressure setting to an AFR value under different values of MAP and RPM. The UTCIS gives you exact and programmable control over Control Pressure, but the Control Pressure doesn't translate directly to AFR. To make the setup easier we've added an input for an O2 Sensor. The current version uses a narrow O2 sensor. We're working on a wideband input now. The O2 input makes setup a snap. At idle you can watch the control pressure move up and down as you move the CO screw back and forth! If you you already have a UTCIS-PT you can upgrade it to the O2 sensor version for $50. Email us for details, support@unwiredtools.com . The narrow O2 input uses the stock Porsche O2 sensor (or the $30 generic equivalent) and can span an AFR range of about 12.8 to 15.5 . When compared to a wideband sensor the stock sensor is not scaled in AFR, the range is much narrower, and the response is a bit slower (though fast enough). I wouldn't use the narrow (stock) sensor for racing but it's inexpensive (already on the car!), very easy to use, and gives repeatable results.

Sorry for the long-ish post. Many thanks for the great feedback, success stories, and kind words. Please keep sending us your results, engine maps, and don't forget to include a list of aftermarket parts on your car. If you've sent us photos of your car please be patient with us, well post a bunch more on our site next week. Chris Toy, your polished engine is incredible!

Steve S
UnwiredTools Support
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Steve,
Thanks for the invaluable update. Regarding monitoring the O2 sensor readings, is it necessary to purge the exhaust when setting the CO screw? By purge, I mean blipping the throttle from time to time.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Falk930
Instructor

Great news, having AFR in the logs make things more easy.
But dont forget, different wideband systems have different
output ranges. They need to be calibrated with your software.

Falk
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
UT_tech
Track Day

Default O2 Sensor

The blip is very much needed. In fact, you may find that the control pressure will shift a bit after the engine gets under load and the EGT gets up to full temp, then it stops changing. We've also found that narrow O2 sensors are a bit sensitive to carbon residue loading. If the idle is too rich (>0.85V) for too long then the (narrow) O2 sensor output will stay high even after the AFR rises. The sensor will eventually recover, but only when the EGT rises under engine load. The solution is to set the idle at or near stoichiometric. When the engine moves off idle then the O2 value can move to whatever you want.

The engine map in the new version looks just like the old version, except that the vertical scale is in Volts output of the O2 sensor instead of control pressure. The control pressure maps are still there. If the O2 sensor breaks or it isn't there then the regulation loop drops back to control pressure.

Yes, we're planning for the AFR input to use a programmable scale factor. We've seen grim and unsettling bad accuracy from off-the-shelf wideband products. More on that later.

Steve S
UnwiredTools Support
Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Took a quick look at this thread. I see alot of info. Has anyone from rennlist used one yet? If so what do you think? I am thinking of getting one. I am not looking for more horsepower. I am happy with what I have. I have modified fuel head and adjustable WUR and solinoid. It works GREAT. The one thing I dont like is how my A/F at full throttle flucuate with the temp outside. At 70 + deg my A/F are great. Once it gets cooler than that I start to run lean. I dont want to have to adjust the WUR every couple of months.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

A few guys on Pelicanparts have them and seem to be happy with them.
When the wideband O2 version hits the market I think I'll take the plunge.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I'm not sure that they have temp correction yet?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I am waiting for the Digital WUR with the wide band. In the mean time I have brian leasks WUR and solinoid. I also had my fuel head mod ( imagine auto). I am running 10lbs of boost. My motor is a 3.5 with sc cams and 8-1 comp. In the cold weather I am still having a problem with running lean up top 5500 and above( 12.8 a/f). I have the full inrichment on the WUR max out. Can I get more fuel out of the fuel head. I have not messed with the fuel head at all. I know there is the allen key adjustment.
Thanks John
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I'm not sure that they have temp correction yet?
Hit the nail on the head, Nathan.
Add temperature compensation and wideband control and now our cars will be as close to EFI as they can get.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
WERK-I
Pro

I don't know about the necessity of temp compensation in the DWUR. I would think the wideband would detect the changes in air temp by an increase or decrease of O2. Increase in air temps would result in a slightly rich condition and air temperature decreases would cause a lean condition with a static control pressure system.
All I really care about is accurate MAP input, accurate wideband input, good cold start capability and, of course, stable VME mapping. The more bells and whistles added, the more expensive this device is going to be.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I don't think an inlet temp sensor would cost much and as I've said before, make all these things an option, not an actually requirement.
That way if you don't want it, don't by a sensor or go to the trouble of installing and wiring it.

John, are you saying you have a modded fuel head and you still can't get enough fuel at high rpm?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:21 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

yes nathan. I am still lean in the cold weather up top, above 5300. I am only running 10lbs of boost . I have ck fuel flow and my fuel pressure and everything is good. I have not played with the fuel head at all. I have maxed out the adjustable WUR. I have a innovative wide band in my car so I can see my a/fs
PS> yes my fuel head is modified Thanks John
Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Do you know what your control pressure is at your max boost level?

Are you too rich lower down the rpm's?

Is that a modified euro head you have?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

JBrown, what it your system pressure?

Quick Reply: The new digital warm up regulator has now hit that market