Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in Japan I drove an older (heavily modified) Skyline GTR and to be honest while it was a blast to drive it has nothing on my 79 930. There wasn’t that sense of exhilaration you get when the turbo kicks in. I know that we are talking about modern cars but in my opinion there are very few modern cars with a soul.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calm down gents , the atomic cockroach is here to stay ..........

While the New skyline , is well" New " this excitement should be expected. I have seen this numerous times over the years , just sub the name and date and it is the same cry , new king , 911 dead and what ? the atomic cockroach is still with us 32 yrs later ....

Porsche is fighting that euro vs dollar/peso thing , so the hefty price is expected. The nissan is an excellent performer and i look forward to driving the darn thing , but you know what , i have been there before and have driven just about all japanese hotrods in various crazy forms and i can tell you an R34 skyline is no porsche substitute and i can bet this one will not be either...
While the euro influence is obvious in the new nissan products , i do expect this new Skyline to be closer in all respects than previous jap skylines , it will take more than a new pretty face to konk the atomic cockroah , Ferdinand lives
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by UDPride
I dont think the car looks that bad at all. Certainly no worse than some late model Carrera cabs. Is it going to have German styling? No. Its not German. However it probably won't have German repair bills either.

I think the response when a car has nowhere near the performance potential of a Porsche is "yeah, well that'll teach em. Cant hang with the big boys." And when the car is on the same playing field or even completely eclipsing it, the response is "yeah well, theres more to it than just performance."

So either way, theres a built-in excuse. I dont give a **** if Daewoo built it. Its an impressive display of technology and performance at a ridiculously low price from a car company with rather rich history in motorsports in its own right I might add.

Last thing I said when I wrote the check for my pcars was "its a pcar, so that means something." It doesnt mean dick. Just because I drive them (among other cars) doesnt mean I think Porsche can crap thunder on command.

ye old 2 cents.

Well I didn't think it looked so bad either until I stood 2" from it and had to cover my mouth with both hands to prevent the hurl from splashing out.

And sorry I think you missed my point - I will be last in line chanting the "Porsche is the end all be all" song, there are many cars out there that do many things better. Who cares - like what you like, I'm not loyal to any marque in fact I enjoy cheating on them religiously. Sure Nissan has some motorsport pedigree - all this doesn't change the fact that the GTR is beyond heinous and incongrously overstyled to the maxxxx. Blech.

And *yes* I WILL still leap @ the opp for some seat time in one sure. Bet it's a hoot and a half really I do. Just will never see the inside of this man's garage - sure you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. A buddy of mine was offered an allocation on one, is contemplating flipping it - I really hope he does to allow some shenanigans.

But a Porsche it is not - crapping thunder on command aside (good one btw). I'm glad others hand them their **** - hopefully results in engineering advancement on some level. Agree that some here / Pelican are getting their **** in a twist a bit over the results, that definitely bewilders me. Again, like what you like, not just b/c it posts the best #'s.

Also agreed, neu Porsche buyers buy the Suburban Dream Image package (nail/head Micah) and that's precisely who Zuffenhausen markets / caters to since that's who's buttering their bread. Not us gamers that buy them cents on the dollar and make them "right" down the road certainly.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com

WRETCH:

Last edited by pkrasusky; 04-23-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I dont think the GTR looks an ounce worse than the 997TTs goofy accent lines, tupperware vents, and over-pimped rims, but thats just me. I think 911 Turbos have been toilet water designs since the 993.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
srupp1969
Instructor

Hi @ all,

I just ordered my GT-R yesterday. It is a premium edition in pikes peak white metallic with black leather and will be delivered in september 09'.
As you can see in my profile I am (still) a porsche addict and love and enjoy my 930 turbo, my 928 S4 and my 944 S2 V8 project deeply.
As with all of us there is a lot of money and time in this hobby but from my own experience I don't want to use one of these cars with excemption of my 928 as my daily driver.
And this was the major point of my decission when I was looking to replace my BMW E60 530D with something more sportier: A full four seater with a useable trunk that I can drive in alle weather conditions the whole year with the biggest available bang for the buck and the ability to do a DE or trackday 2-3 times a year.
This beast went around the Nürburgring Nordschleife last week in 7 min 29 sec. (Porsche GT2 with Walter Röhrl on the wheel: 7 min 32 sec.). I know, these a only numbers and only few of us will be able to go in this direction anyway.
But in all honest, why pay 200K Euro if you can have just the same performance paired with better daily usage for 75K ?
There is also no doubt that the the design is very polarizing, you like it or you hate it.
But this is absolutelly ok, I hate oysters, others are addicted to them :-).
My personal opinion is that the time was right to show the established sports car manufacturers like Porsche that you can outfit your customers with a very well designed and competitive package without investing a fortune.

Btw: We here in Germany will receive far less than 500 GT-Rs per year, so exclusivity is also guaranted.

Cheers
Stefan
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I dont think the GTR looks an ounce worse than the 997TTs goofy accent lines, tupperware vents, and over-pimped rims, but thats just me. I think 911 Turbos have been toilet water designs since the 993.
I agree. The GT-R doesn't do anything for me. The Lexus LF-A on the other hand might prove to be a car I'll covet though.

Video at the midway point of the page- check out the V10 noise:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...rcar-up-close/
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
jbailey930
Intermediate

I felt the same way most of you all when the R&T showed up. Disappointing, but not unexpected. We had a German marque car show last week. My 930 far from perfect but it earned some votes in the Peoples' Choice category for '65 and later coupes. Lots of folks stopped by to ogle the beast and ask her age. In 30 yrs will they do the same for the GTR? Time wil tell.

A couple hours into the show a guy pulled up next to me in his 996 TT. Hate to say its just not the same emotion a 930 brings folks. He ended up staying only 15-20 mins, kinda like the time it takes to read one of those articles. IMHO lots of folks get short term memories - ADD.

No doubt the GTR puts out impressive numbers but to most of us, there are more to Porsches of this vintage than the numbers. On a side note, they tested at BW. I've never driven West Coast tracks but hear from PCA/racer friends these are tight, twisty/ technical oriented vs. HP. How would these compare on a Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, VIR or Road Atlanta? With maybe Hurley Haywood , Sasha Maasen driving?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by srupp1969
Hi @ all,

I just ordered my GT-R yesterday. It is a premium edition in pikes peak white metallic with black leather and will be delivered in september 09'.
As you can see in my profile I am (still) a porsche addict and love and enjoy my 930 turbo, my 928 S4 and my 944 S2 V8 project deeply.
As with all of us there is a lot of money and time in this hobby but from my own experience I don't want to use one of these cars with excemption of my 928 as my daily driver.
And this was the major point of my decission when I was looking to replace my BMW E60 530D with something more sportier: A full four seater with a useable trunk that I can drive in alle weather conditions the whole year with the biggest available bang for the buck and the ability to do a DE or trackday 2-3 times a year.
This beast went around the Nürburgring Nordschleife last week in 7 min 29 sec. (Porsche GT2 with Walter Röhrl on the wheel: 7 min 32 sec.). I know, these a only numbers and only few of us will be able to go in this direction anyway.
But in all honest, why pay 200K Euro if you can have just the same performance paired with better daily usage for 75K ?
There is also no doubt that the the design is very polarizing, you like it or you hate it.
But this is absolutelly ok, I hate oysters, others are addicted to them :-).
My personal opinion is that the time was right to show the established sports car manufacturers like Porsche that you can outfit your customers with a very well designed and competitive package without investing a fortune.

Btw: We here in Germany will receive far less than 500 GT-Rs per year, so exclusivity is also guaranted.

Cheers
Stefan
I feel that building cars far more complicated than they need to be is not the result of a good design, but rather the result of overkill. That goes for Porsches too.

I consider the Nissan to be a thousand pounds overweight. The 997TT is at least 600 pounds overweight, as well.

With modern technology, cars should be trending towards lighter weight and therefore better gas mileage and efficiency.

Sports cars seem to be in a trend to weigh as much as compact trucks.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Regardless of all our predispositions here Stephan... it should be said - CONGRATS on your purchase! Enjoy the beejeezus out of the thing, I'm sure it'll be a downright hoot.

lease report back with your impressions. Aside from being Fugly (agreed on the love it / hate it bit), you're going to have a blast.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Oilonly
Intermediate

Hey guys. Well after sitting on the fence for quite some time I jumped in and did a trade with a friend who has numerous Porsches and picked up a black beauty of his ('87 930). Car has 22,000 miles on it and looks it. Not planning any performance add ons as of yet cause the beast is sooooo pristine.
Well got to go look at it and double clean some stuff.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

It's the same BS I heard when the Z06 and R8 came out. Oh Porsche better rethink this and rethink that. Where is the Z06 now once all the hype has died down. I know of people that bought the new Z06 when it first came out only to sell and get back into a Porsche again, the same will happen with R8. These cars may look like a bargain next to our cars, but they just don't have the feel, heritage, etc... After buying the GT-R you will find yourself saying in the end I just ended up paying 70-80K for a Nissan. BTW I really think it's just plain butt ugly, the Z06 and R8 are more pleasing to the eye. The GT-R is just something new so it's all the rage, but thats it. Give me a break
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Cars are getting more bloated, but much of it is because buyers are asking for it. Low weight and getting trimmed down to the bare essentials is fine but a lot of people have one car and need one car to perform all things relatively well. The bone jarring ride and tailpipe wail may be great on the weekend or for 45 minutes to work, but if you have to be on the highway for 4hrs or in rush hour traffic all day, all those sort of performance idiosyncrasies can and do get very old. Especially if you have any passengers in the car that dont care one ounce about your driving passion (like your wife or mother in law or business associate).

So people need things like SatNav and weighty audio systems and more forgiving suspensions and shocks so when they arent on the track or a back road to their lonesome, the car still delivers in a manner that makes you less and less dependent on any other car for your transportation needs. With the GT-R, no longer is it a strict compromise between buying a car thats fun and giving up what you love because your Porsche 911 has no usable back seat and a trunk thats as deep as rain puddle. For a lot of people, these factors alone mean a 911 will never be in the cards. Its not a question of affordability, but a question of needing two cars to do what one can be done with a GT-R.

Not to say the GT-R is twice the car, but there's a lot to be said for giving people a consummate all-rounder that eliminates the need for a winter 4x4, passenger sedan, grocery getter to compliment it and make daily life livable. For the young single male yuppy, perhaps none of that matters and life can be sieged with a Gallardo or 430 or GT-3 24/7. For most people however, there are compromises and not enough cash or garage space to go around and caretake a fleet of vehicles catering to a single specialty or two. And thats where the GT-R becomes such a tremendous opportunity.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

So people need things like SatNav and weighty audio systems and more forgiving suspensions and shocks so when they arent on the track or a back road to their lonesome, the car still delivers in a manner that makes you less and less dependent on any other car for your transportation needs. With the GT-R, no longer is it a strict compromise between buying a car thats fun and giving up what you love because your Porsche 911 has no usable back seat and a trunk thats as deep as rain puddle. For a lot of people, these factors alone mean a 911 will never be in the cards. Its not a question of affordability, but a question of needing two cars to do what one can be done with a GT-R.

Not to say the GT-R is twice the car, but there's a lot to be said for giving people a consummate all-rounder that eliminates the need for a winter 4x4, passenger sedan, grocery getter to compliment it and make daily life livable. For the young single male yuppy, perhaps none of that matters and life can be sieged with a Gallardo or 430 or GT-3 24/7. For most people however, there are compromises and not enough cash or garage space to go around and caretake a fleet of vehicles catering to a single specialty or two. And thats where the GT-R becomes such a tremendous opportunity.
This reminds me of my brother's C55 AMG he used to have. Hands down that car was balistic. almost 400hp, 400 torque, but an everyday driver. He could put groceries in the back, turn on the nav system, put his beer in the cup holder , etc... But at the end of day he wanted somethig more than mashing the throttle and watching the smoke bellow from the tires. Those cars get boring after a while, then you end up relizing the money you paid for it and the what are really the rewards for it. Ask him which car he would take now his 95 C2 (300hp) or the big power, luxurious AMG. No doubt the GT-R is stunning performance wise, but it lacks just about everywhere else. I mean can you see yourself holding on to that car more than 1 year, after the newness and "hey I was the first one to get one on my block" wears off
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds like your brother had no one else to consult and doesnt drive anyone else around.

Most people I know have wives and kids and itchy mothers in law, and neighbors kids needing rides to soccer practice. Any Porsche other than a Cayenne would be nuclear stupid to own if you need one car to do all things for your lifestyle.

Porsches are for people who have the luxury of owning more than one car for their own personal transportation or have no one else to worry about when it comes time to having to meet all of your lives needs -- or you have a spouse who wants to drive something thats a hell of a lot more practical. Most people dont live this way. They get one car. The wife gets one car. Together you have two cars and each one of them must do EVERYTHING. Your passengers dont give a **** about how much fun you are having, they just want a lot of legroom both front and rear, good HVAC, and a comfortable ride to the board meeting. Most people do not care about cars. Most family members of car enthusiasts do not care about cars. And for a lot of people, all of these forces of nature must be taken into consideration when picking a car. How fun it is ends up being just one factor in the equation.

For the guy living in San Francisco with a one car garage apartment, two kids, a wife, and a dog, the GT-R makes a hell of a lot more sense in just about every measure. Most Americans live like this. Full of compromises and accommodations for others around them. Not everyone can run a family in a Mazda Miata. For people like this, a Porsche 911 is about the stupidest car you could possibly own.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

My brother does have the family, wife, kid, house, other cars. The GT-R is not being marketed as a family hauler, but directly to compeat with the 911 Turbo etc... I have a daily driver and then my 911. These cars aren't meant for daily driving, but my 07 997S felt like I could. Even my 94.3 3.6 Turbo (which was considered the last of the raw 911s) was very drivable even in stop and go traffic. The point I was trying to make, is that the GT-R is new, different, etc.. Once that wears off I think most people that bought it (the ones that are performance oriented, not hauling the family around) will get bored.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R