Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
willtel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edmunds tested a full production spec US car and it just barley lost a 1/4 mile drag race to the 911 Turbo. Seems the GT-R makes a little less power with our US fuel. Don't count the P-cars out yet.

I don't enjoy electrical nannies in my car deciding how much fun I can have so no GT-R for me, I prefer to kick it old school.

GT-R 11.7-second quarter-mile at 116.8 mph
911 T 11.6-second quarter-mile at 118.5 mph

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*
Old 05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I dont think the GT-R owners are going to ever get bored. From what? World class handling, power, 4-seats to take the kids to soccer practice, traction in the winter, exclusivity, reliability, a trunk thats more than ornamental, one insurance premium rather than two, $50,000 left in the bank to fix up the kitchen or add that 4th bedroom for the incoming troll or that speedboat at the lake, a car your wife will actually ride in?

i can see how that would be a turnoff and get old.

some people have to live on the closer side of practicality. And IMPRACTICALITY gets old. Do you want to make 3 trips to the supermarket because your 911s trunk is as useless as two **** on a boar, or do you want a usable trunk you can actually fit groceries and a golf bag in. For many people the 911 isnt just a bad option, its not an option at all. So while the GT-R may possess 911 Turbo-like performance as their benchmark, the clientele remains much different. Most GT-Rs are going to be daily drivers in households where its the primary or only car. 911 GT2s are usually parked in garages with 3-4 other cars. Different income levels look at these cars. The guy thinking about a GT-R isnt a 997TT owner, its a ZR1 or Audi S/RS owner. All that stuff about topping the 911 Turbos performance is merely about bragging rights. It tops a Ferrari 430s performance too but nobody in a 430 is going to jump into a GT-R. He probably has 3-4 other fast capable cars to fart around in if he wants room in the back and an honest trunk.

My point isnt to say which car is better, my point is many people live vastly different lives and lifestyles where either car may be a total waste of money. Both cares cater to people looking for different things. Whats a detriment to one is a luxury to another.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by UDPride
I dont think the GT-R owners are going to ever get bored. From what? World class handling, power, 4-seats to take the kids to soccer practice, traction in the winter, exclusivity, reliability, a trunk thats more than ornamental, one insurance premium rather than two, $50,000 left in the bank to fix up the kitchen or add that 4th bedroom for the incoming troll or that speedboat at the lake, a car your wife will actually ride in?

i can see how that would be a turnoff and get old.

some people have to live on the closer side of practicality. And IMPRACTICALITY gets old. Do you want to make 3 trips to the supermarket because your 911s trunk is as useless as two **** on a boar, or do you want a usable trunk you can actually fit groceries and a golf bag in. For many people the 911 isnt just a bad option, its not an option at all. So while the GT-R may possess 911 Turbo-like performance as their benchmark, the clientele remains much different. Most GT-Rs are going to be daily drivers in households where its the primary or only car. 911 GT2s are usually parked in garages with 3-4 other cars. Different income levels look at these cars. The guy thinking about a GT-R isnt a 997TT owner, its a ZR1 or Audi S/RS owner. All that stuff about topping the 911 Turbos performance is merely about bragging rights. It tops a Ferrari 430s performance too but nobody in a 430 is going to jump into a GT-R. He probably has 3-4 other fast capable cars to fart around in if he wants room in the back and an honest trunk.

My point isnt to say which car is better, my point is many people live vastly different lives and lifestyles where either car may be a total waste of money. Both cares cater to people looking for different things. Whats a detriment to one is a luxury to another.

The problem with new Porsches is that they have all the drawbacks that you have mentioned in regards to being a 'focused' sport car; as in lack of space, no back seats to speak of, hard core nature, ect....BUT they also have the obesity and complexity of the GT-R. And a hefty surcharge in price.

Not to mention that they are intent on ignoring their best chassis for marketing reasons.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Oilonly
Hey guys. Well after sitting on the fence for quite some time I jumped in and did a trade with a friend who has numerous Porsches and picked up a black beauty of his ('87 930). Car has 22,000 miles on it and looks it. Not planning any performance add ons as of yet cause the beast is sooooo pristine.
Well got to go look at it and double clean some stuff.
Welcome!

You kinda of tucked your introduction away on this thread, why not post a new thread with some pictures of your car?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Oilonly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DDD
Welcome!

You kinda of tucked your introduction away on this thread, why not post a new thread with some pictures of your car?
Will do.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R