Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possible job op in Pori Finland, anyone been there? bring the 930?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts
Question Possible job op in Pori Finland, anyone been there? bring the 930?

Hello all- I know we have a wide base of members and was hoping someone might enlighten me on the use of, or rare use of a 930 in Finland. I have not been that far north since I was a child. I work for Areva and I may have an opportunity to take a position there outside of Pori. The company will provide me a home with a garage (so they say) and allot me 10K for vechicle purchase or transport.

IS it worth trying to import my Euro spec 930 back over to drive and enjoy for the 2-3 years I am there? Does the weather allow for much dry driving and are there places to drive the car at higher spirited speeds? I will be able to have a second car but did not want to spend the allowance if it is just not pratical.

What would my car be worth in Finland? more or less than the 32-42K USD?

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated- Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been there, but used to have a hot girlfriend from Kokomaki, Finland.
It snows ALOT during winter and there's a reason they call it land of the midnight sun...

Oh... and Finnish women are r e a l l y excellent.. you'll be finished!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

JFairman..

That's funny..!!

Best I can offer is my enjoyment of mass quantities of Finlandia Vodka while eye-balling the extremely hot Finnish girls at the Mercedes F1 party several years ago at INDY. Hmmmm.. way off topic huh?

P-
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Olli
Racer

I will be relocating to Finland and taking my 930 with me and doing it as soon as I can which may still be a while as I need to sell a house here etc. However, I have no idea what kind of a 930 community they have there and what these cars might be worth there. For me it won't be an issue since I won't sell in any case. As for spirited driving legally there is a track in a place called Alastaro which should be around 50 miles from Pori.

I would guess that the proper driving months with a 930 would be May thru September. Especially this winter they have had hardly any snow in the south-west coastal areas (don't know about Pori) so in theory you could drive it there even now.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I've been to Helsinki, yeah, the women are hot
Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
AngM018
Instructor

only 10K for a vehicle allowance? That seems a bit on the low side. as for shipping your vehicle, it would be cheaper to upgrade to the largest sea container possible. this way you can park the 930 inside, then build a protective shell out of wood, and put the rest of your housewares inside. It makes shipping a whole lot cheaper, especially since they will usually give you a shipping allowance as well. the weight limit is usually extremely high so spend some extra money on making the wood structure extra sturdy.

When I lived in singapore, we used to always come in just under the allowance and pocket the remainder
Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

I love the variety of advice found here.. I am excited about the "possibbbbbilitttties"-- the vechicle allowance is a "do what you please" one time thing. Most of the guys are selling thier rides and adding the 10K to purchase similar vechicles. I was wondering if it is worth it. I love my 930 and it is just how I want it, I was wondering if I might drive it and sell it for more than sending it back home when the time comes.

Jim- do you still have the number of the girl from Kokomaki, Finland? Maybe she could show me the ropes..or around.....LOL wink wink

Olli - Thanks for the info, I worried about the endless days and dark winters. If you go send me a note.

Onboost- I too have had my fair share of Finlandia Vodka and since I am on condition after the holidays I feel even though I cannot speak the language they will be either simpathetic or remotely ammused at my attempts..

AngM- I did not even think about the moving allowance - the 10K was for the car replacement or transport only, Maybe there is another way to get by "the man"...

thanks guys- Mike
Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 AM
AngM018
Instructor

Mike,
I will say this, getting the opportunity to move overseas was the best experience of my life. Luckily I was backed by a company that payed for everthying and then some. I even made the mistake of telling my newly wedded cousin about how much money you can make on the company dollar. they have been in China for the past 5 years and no plans on moving back. Just make sure your company is taking care of you, and investigate how much the cost of living over there really is. You will find a lot of companies will pay the difference in food, electric, furniture, transport, housing, phones, internet, etc. and still pay you more b/c you are in a different country. Even better, think of all the countries you can visit "on the way home". Good luck with your decision. it will suck to loose two Porsche lovers so close to me (you and Olli).
Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli
II have no idea what kind of a 930 community they have there and what these cars might be worth there.
There are very few 930's in here. I can think of maybe 5 cars all together but there are probably few more. Most are early models and maybe only one is new enough to have 5sp box.

Few 930 owners can be found at local Porsche discussion forum:
http://www.9xxfin.com/forum/index.php
One has to register to be able to post.

This winter we have seen very little snow and there isn't practically any on the ground at the moment below Oulu. Winters are not what they used to be.

Quick Reply: Possible job op in Pori Finland, anyone been there? bring the 930?