Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Rear wheel and tire size on a 930

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another wheel question

I also have a wheel conundrum. I am running rear 345/35-15 tires on my original BBS 15 inch wheels. The wheels (as pictured below) have wide backspacing on the front of the wheel ("backspacing" may not be the correct term but I'm referring to wheel depth from the lugs to the outter rim) . In order to upgrade braking system and esthetics, I want to move up to a 17" or 18" wheel. In looking at my options, however, I find that new wheels have the backspacing in the rear of the wheel. It seems that spacers might be the answer but I've got roughly 7" of offset (distance from lugs to outter rim of wheel) and that seems way too much to solve with spacers. I've seens pics of several DP 935's with newer version large wheels but don't know how they accomplished it. I've spoken to the BBS people about the problem and, although they may be able to provide a solution after receiving more info about the existing wheels (the wheels may have been a special version made for Kremer), they couldn't tell me anything at this point. Since I'm kinda at a loss right now I'd really appreciate any recommendations on how to fit some new wheels. Thanks much.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
On this car the suspension is different as it is actually an SC.

There is a company in CA which is producing the Fuchs style wheel in various rim and width sizes. It is a very good knock-off and many guys are using them on RS and RSR conversion. My understanding is that they will or currently offer a 16 x 11... although tire choices will be limited, this might be something to look into to get the proper look you're after. I believe the company is Roto Fox.

Paul
My car started life as a targa and had the turbo-look stuff done by an after-market company in California in 1989. I know it has 930 brakes, and was told it was upgraded to 930 suspension, but I have no idea how to check.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Justin,

If you look into your rear wheel at the brake caliper it should sit at roughly 2:00 oclock on a Turbo control arm.

On that of an SC they will sit forward at roughly 10clock even if Turbo calipers were used. The calipers can be machined to fit an SC contol arm.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:57 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 92742
In order to upgrade braking system and esthetics, I want to move up to a 17" or 18" wheel. In looking at my options, however, I find that new wheels have the backspacing in the rear of the wheel. I've seens pics of several DP 935's with newer version large wheels but don't know how they accomplished it. I've spoken to the BBS people about the problem and, although they may be able to provide a solution after receiving more info about the existing wheels (the wheels may have been a special version made for Kremer), they couldn't tell me anything at this point. Since I'm kinda at a loss right now I'd really appreciate any recommendations on how to fit some new wheels. Thanks much

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your wheel is a BBS RS wheel, and it was not uncommon for somene to make-up a wheel such as you have as the RS was a 3 piece wheel, and wheel halves were all over the place in the days an most parts were BBS as that was the wheel to have. Unfortunately like many other items today, manufacturers choose not to support the older items.. not enough of a demand to make it worht there while, or in some cases.. woth the liability.

The wheels on your car were probably not standard as both DP and Kremer used either factory RSR 15" wheels or a widened version ogf those back in the 70's and 80's.

There are a number of companies that can build wheels to fit your car, however I would go with a 3 piece Fuchs from Lindsey racing. Just think it would be so peirod correct for that car.. Blk center with polished lips for me!

Check out ..
HRE Wheels
Fikse Wheels
Compomotive

Oh, and I'm still curious.. was that car purchased from a guy named Craig?

P-
Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Justin,

If you look into your rear wheel at the brake caliper it should sit at roughly 2:00 oclock on a Turbo control arm.

On that of an SC they will sit forward at roughly 10clock even if Turbo calipers were used. The calipers can be machined to fit an SC contol arm.
My rear calipers are sitting at 2:00 o'clock, so I guess that means i have the turbo suspension.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 AM
AngM018
Instructor

Talk about some deep dish rear rims! Beautiful car!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
The Turk
Intermediate

Check out Kodiak Racing Wheels, they're a forged 3 piece wheel that they custom make to your specs, the price is right too, about $700 each for 17"x11-12".
I put a set on my car and the fit and finish was excellent.
Black with polished centers would look great on your car

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Rear wheel and tire size on a 930