911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Jet Hot Coating Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jet Hot Coating Headers...

What do you guys think about Jet Hot Coating Headers???

I just purchased a set of GHL headers from another member, and I took them to my local speed shop to show some friends. The first thing out of their mouth was that they would Jet Hot Coat them. They said that this would make a difference in the performance of the car, especially since it is a turbo car.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with this? I trust these guys COMPLETELY and they have a TON of experience with turbo cars, although mine is the only 911 Turbo they have encountered.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Cajun
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Without a doubt! 2years later holding up well.

Yasin
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The coatings help keep the exhaust velocity up. I would have to see before and after dyno charts run using the same conditions before I could say that they substantially made a difference.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Looks like I should do it...

Thanks for the responses....
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
Looks like I should do it...

Thanks for the responses....
?? Sounds like you were sold before you asked the question.

For a street car, you will most likely not feel a difference.

How much will it cost (removal of headers, coating, reinstallation)?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

I have also planned on using a ceramic coating on my headers...but will not be going Jet HOT...( which is just a company, there are others out there who do the same thing). There is a comany here on the South side of Atlanta who does powdercoating as well as ceramic coating. I have used them on atleast 3 vehicles that I have right now for headers. They have an outstanding product. Here is there website:
http://www.headercoatings.com/

What I really wanted to tell you is I have heard that one with a turbo motor should not coat the inside of the tubes. If any of the ceramic piecies flake or chip off, the will head straight to the turbine causing damage. When I do mine, I am only going to coat the outside.....

Anybody out there think the same....or is this just some stupid story??? Anyone actually see any damage from something like this?? If so...let me know.... I have just heard about this...never seen it in person, but it does make sense.....
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest issue with any of the SS headers is cracking at the welds along the heat exchanger boxes and WG tube. If you bought your headers used, don't bother with the cost of the coating. Get them checked out for leaks. Money better spent.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DonE
?? Sounds like you were sold before you asked the question.

For a street car, you will most likely not feel a difference.

How much will it cost (removal of headers, coating, reinstallation)?
I have not made my mind up yet, however I am leaning towards doing it because I trust the people who recommended it.

I am not sure as to cost. I will have to contact the place they recommended.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used them years ago on a set of 427 headers for my Cobrs replicar. They stayed bright and silvery the whole time I had the car. They really dressed up the engine too.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Does it help much if you have heater boxes covering a significant area?

RT
Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
ferraripete
Racer

myles,

congrats on the headers...about time my friend! i had the ferrari headers jet hot coated andthey look and seem to work well. my thinking was to protect the half-shaft boots from exessive heat in order to get longer wear on the ruber boots. in the original configuration, the heat simply melted the boots w/ quickness.

three years later, they seem to have been holding up well...thus i assume the ceramic coating is doing its job.

never gave any thought to coating my 930 headers however. seems like a good idea. have at it!!

pcb
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
What I really wanted to tell you is I have heard that one with a turbo motor should not coat the inside of the tubes. If any of the ceramic piecies flake or chip off, the will head straight to the turbine causing damage. When I do mine, I am only going to coat the outside.....

Anybody out there think the same....or is this just some stupid story??? Anyone actually see any damage from something like this?? If so...let me know.... I have just heard about this...never seen it in person, but it does make sense.....
That is absolutely true. Never, ever, ever coat the inside of the headers on a turbo. A flake the side of a grain of sand will do real damage to a turbine spinning at 100,000+ rpms.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I would do it. I wish I had mine done before I had them shipped to the UK from the USA.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Without a doubt! 2years later holding up well.
Yasin
I think I am going to do mine for sure. Just found out that GHL doesnt use stainless flanges!
I don't want to see the flanges rusted onto everything (not that the car sees a drop of rain).

Obviously no coating in the header but what about heater box? Did you coat in there or plug the heater box holes as well. In Texas, I don't need alot of heat...in fact I disconnected the tubes because I was getting roasted.

Thanks!

RT
Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM
stu.p
Racer

whats the approx cost of getting a set of headers done out there in the u.s.a,,seems a bit expensive here in the uk,,got an approx price of about $800- $1000 dollars(£400-£500) to get a set done here in the uk

Quick Reply: Jet Hot Coating Headers...