911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I drove Olli's car

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove Olli's car

I went to North Carolina with the hope of picking up my car to no avail, but I did get a chance to meet Olli and drive his low flying ROCKET! The car is absolutely amazing and I observed -from the four gears I had the pleasure of shifting it through- it will pull violently from any where in the rev range. What fun, too bad I couldn't be there longer and worst of all I forgot to take pics, by the way the car sounds absolutely delicious.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Lincoln! It was a great pleasure meeting you and I hope one of these days we can take a ride in our cars in the Blue Ridge mountains ....
Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 151 Posts

Lincoln - So by which Superbowl will your car be ready?

Yasin
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
DDD
Pro

Why couldn't you pick up your car?

Didn't they give you a head's up?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

They did give me a heads up but I was being optimistic. I am trying not to be impatient but it is very difficult.
Yasin, it will be ready soon -- I hope anyway--
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

schnele,

All the way over on this end and you didn't even drop by DC to say hi ?

So are you going to drive the car back?

P-
Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Olli, Have you gotten her into 6th gear yet, or are you waiting for the Autobahn?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Paul DC is too far west, by the way Olli was great helping me out while on this road trip, he scouted hotels for me while I drove and even gave me wake up conversation very late and generally he went above and beyond the call of duty and is a credit to our Rennlist community.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:11 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Very good to hear!

I was wondering if you were driving or flying...

SO when is the car expected to be ready? Are you going to drive or trailer back and what's the current status of your car.. c'mon share the ****!

And hey.. what's with this forgetting to take pictures business?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by AngM018
Olli, Have you gotten her into 6th gear yet, or are you waiting for the Autobahn?
Hi John! Oh yes, when driving on the highway I have it on the 6th most of the time. Feels so civilized. In fact I have not had enough enjoying this gearbox and the new FW/clutch/PP. For example with the short first gear and the new clutch setup sitting at traffic lights on a hill with cars on all sides has been a joy to handle. We all know these Porsches are real performers, and they never disappoint one in that department, but to be able to enjoy the daily driving in heavy traffic on the streets is just fantastic with a 930. It was OK before too but now it's a downright pleasure.

In fact I think Lincoln started having doubts of my car when he was the passenger and I was the driver. Fortunately it occurred to me to ask him if he wanted to try as well to dispel those doubts.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

There was never a doubt in my mind about your car's capability it is just that you shifted very early, but I guess that is why you keep using the adjective "civilized" to describe your 930, newsflash, your car is a wild beast even at idle what a rush when the boost comes on. OOH BABY!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
DDD
Pro

I was wondering why Olli never said anything about his car's performance, it sounds like we need to send more Rennlisters down to try it out and report back.

I can be there in three hours...I'll pack light.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Olli
Racer

I guess the expectation of needing to race frequently just goes with 930 (or any Porsche) ownership. Also on the street there's always someone who wants to see it go like hell by pretending to challenge one.

Yesterday I was on my way to a working lunch in a fairly busy area of the town traffic-wise. (For those who know Greensboro, NC, it was past Four Seasons Mall going south on High Point Road.)
I was sitting at the traffic lights waiting for the lights to turn green. Next to me was a white sedan of some kind (later saw it was an Impala) that I did not even pay attention to. I just heard this revving and when the lights turned green I took off normally. The guy in the sedan clearly wanted to race so I just glanced at him thinking: "what's wrong with you" and pushed the gas down a bit. He matched it and started pushing real hard. My instincts almost got the better of me and I got on the gas and pushed ahead of him. But now we were already going quite fast (at or above speed limit) so I just let go and let him carry on. As he passed me I noticed the blue light at the bottom of his rear window. Second time a cop has tried to entrap me.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

LOL! good story Olli.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
pete77930
Racer

Olli, we're neighbors. are you coming out to foreign cars' car show and autocross this saturday?

Quick Reply: I drove Olli's car