compressor bypass valve assembly removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default compressor bypass valve assembly removal

Hi folks,

I'd like to remove the CBV assembly to replace the two rubber CBV seals. I've removed the intercooler, the large intake hoses, the two long bolts [driver's side] and the nut on the long stud [passenger's side] on the assembly itself. I've also separated the assembly from the throttle body. Something, that I can't seem to put my finger on is, unfortunately, still holding the assembly in place.

Is there anything else connected to the back/bottom of the assembly that would prevent it from lifting out?

Things are pretty tight in the engine compartment and, taking my time, I've been working on this for several hours. I think it's time for another beer...

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Allen
'89 930, red/tan, stock
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a hose underneath the assembly on the driver side that is holding it down. usually takes a long screwdriver to access it.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:28 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Karl,

Is that you? Thanks for the info. As usual, you are correct. In addition to this hose you speak of [the one from the vacuum limiter to the CBV assembly], the vacuum limiter itself was attached to the CBV assembly by way of a [typically over-engineered German] bracket. In other words, there was VERY LITTLE wiggle room. Suffice it to say, that little bracket did not find it's way back onto the assembly.

Patience is definitely a virtue when working on 930's in particular, if not Porsche's in general. What took the better part of a day to access [the two little CBV rubber seals] took all of 15 minutes to disassemble, clean, install, and reassemble. Since this was as "deep" as I've ever been into her engine compartment, I really wasn't in any particular hurry to break anything "while I was in there".

This has been a relatively simple, yet time consuming, project. What started out as your basic oil and filter change somehow mushroomed into a wow, that's-what's-under-the-intercooler/airbox/CBV assembly, change-all-the-turbo/intercooler/throttle body-orings-and-seals-while-everything-is-apart, kinda project. How do things like that happen...

Allen Chin
'86 951
'89 930
Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

At least you didn't find that your oil line to the turbo was leaking...
Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Nathan, where does the turbocharger oil line originate and how is it routed in the engine compartment? Besides working in a cramped space, did you run into any issues with replacement?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:06 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

It runs from the very back of the top of the engine where there is an oil pressure switch (slightly to the right). I removed the whole intake assy, CIS & manifold...

The funny thing was that when I emailed Stephen Kaspar about upgrades for the engine I stated that I would never remove the CIS LOL.

It was pointed out recently that I could have cut up the line to get it out & repaired it with flexible hose too.

Quick Reply: compressor bypass valve assembly removal