Could be alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Could be alternator?

Had trouble starting the car yesterday morning before a car show. As if there is no juice. Hooked up my charger to it and gave it 50 amps to start, and after 20 minutes it was just starting to get that "turning over" sound, but I couldnt await any longer and had someone jump me. I needed about 2 seconds of jump time to get the car started.

The weird thing is I had my battery tender on the car for 2-3 days to charge it up and when I tried to leave yesterday morning its as if I had never had it on. I dont think I have a battery drain issue anywhere (stuck doorjam light toggle, etc).

Car show was 15 miles away. The car wouldnt start again when I left but Ibrought my jumpers. Just a click when I turned the ignition. Again 2 seconds of jump and it started.

While driving to and from the show, the radio would periodically cut off for 2-3 seconds then cut back on again. I wouldnt think this would happen if its a battery issue. The battery is probably 4-5yrs old, but normally after driving it and charging it up it will keep a charge.

I think the alternator was replaced last year. Maybe it went kaplooey? Could be something else?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
pete77930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your alternators wired right, porsche changed the design and the new replacement alternators we get will fry your wiring harness if wired up the old way. ask me how i know. fortunetly that shop is outta buisness, I think its the C2 turbo that he caught on fire that did him in. lol. I'd switch to an optima battery. My turbo used to do similar things when I would let it sit for a month or so. I went with an optima and haven't had a problem since. go figure.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

Default won't start

I also have a'88 930 ...210,000 miles on it. Check the battery ground...must be clean and very good connection...a bad ground will act like yours... might as well check the positive terminal..too. I've had the negative ground on mine act up a couple of times. ..terminal looked fine.....but the ground was not 100% ...car would run down road fine..go to restart..nothing...twist the negative cable on the battery terminal a little by hand...or tap it with a tool...just enough to sort of redo the ground...started right up.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

PS..if the battery is that old..no matter wha... you need to put in a new one...you're very close to the end! I have never used a trickle charger...car has sat 2-3 weeks..started right up...A good battery with GOOD cable connections will solve your problem....I'd bet on it. Dought if its the alternator....your problem doesn't sound like it. But..not had to be wrong on 930 stuff.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I may replace the battery. Quick $140 fix. I may go Optima. Ive had the car since 2003 and havent replaced the battery so its a cost worth trying. Swapping a new battery in and out will also re-do those battery connections.

Is there a specific Optima model for 86-89 930s?

If it doesnt help, I can throw money at the alternator and not feel like I flushed money beforehand.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris,

After you clean the battery grounds, take a quick look at your engine-to-chassis ground strap connections.

Allen
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the voltage at the battery. If it's good, I'd get a new battery. You're due for one now anyway.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I ordered an optima bracket from per products hopefully it will get here soon. called advance auto parts after 9 other places didnt have a 34R. they did so ill get it and monitor.

Quick Reply: Could be alternator?