911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Tial Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
SoFast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tial Turbocharger

Has anyone heard anything about the Tial Stainless Steel Turbocharger? Has anyone tried a Tial Turbocharger setup in thier 930?

http://www.tialsport.com/prod%20ss%20turbo.html
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been wondering the same! Someone on here's been running around with a Tial turbocharger avitar that makes me drool!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting. Tial makes great stuff, I have a wastegate and BOV in my car. These look like a Garrett unit to me?? It will be interesting to see if others chime in. The Wastegate was leterally a work of art in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
SoFast
Racer

It is a Garrett unit with a Tial Stainless housing. You can buy the housing seperate or as a whole. It looks fantanstic. I was wondering the heat disepation rates? Please, if anyone knows of these units, chime in!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

I called Tial today and talk with one of their reps.... He said that it primarily is for weight savings, and is not a performance gain. But he did say that the weight savings is substancial... HE advised that a GT-35r turbo with their new SS turbine housing, only weighs 12.5 TOTAL!!!!! the whole turbo only weighs that.... that is a huge improvement!!
They are out of stock on the 35r housings right now and will hopefully get some more in next month.

The cost??? try only $60.00 added onto the price of a new turbo...!!! But if you buy it seperately, it will be close to $400 bucks...

This is a critical area, not only as it is in the rear of our cars, but also would help possibly with the cracking of the header system, by taking some of the weight off of the headers.....

The only downside???? Well, if you are going to go with, or already have a custom set of headers, not a problem, but you might be out of luck with the factory stuff, as this turbo does not bolt to the header in a traditional way. ( you know, the four bolt T-3 style), instead, it uses a V-band clamp. So you would have to fab up a new flange on your header system to make it work....

Hmmm, no more rusty bolts..... just one V-band clamp, and the turbo is disconnected from the headers... He also said that their flange is the equvilent of a T-3 flange as far as flow is concerned...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
SoFast
Racer

Sounds interesting.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Was that possibly me Sand_man?

Those new SS housings are pretty sweet state of the art stuff. I don't remember if Tial mentions it on their site but, the diffuser shape of the turbine inlet and outlet also aids in helping to achieve maximum airflow velocity which of course has obvious benefits. While they don't make any claims for performance benefits, I'd suspect in certain turbo configurations that are some definite improvements in spool and overall power output as a result of these housings. Now, if Tial could just put out a twin scroll stainless v-band housing, I think I could die a happy man!

To anyone giving serious thought toward twin scroll applications or these new ss v-band housings, I would highly recommend doing some research on some of the various import forums out there. Regardless of the whole anti-import sentiment some may have, those guys are usually at the forefront of new turbo technology, and there are some forums out there with tons of good first hand tech that can really help better educate you on subjects like this(Supraforums, SRT Forums, Honda Tech......). Here's a Honda Tech thread with some more comparison pics to get the ball rolling.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Twin scroll - the late Doc Emard was doing these many years ago on his 930 and got the idea from diesels.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DonE
Twin scroll - the late Doc Emard was doing these many years ago on his 930 and got the idea from diesels.

Yep, it's nothing new, though except for the few OEM gasoline twin scroll applications, it's still relatively uncommon in turbocharged gasoline setups.

Quick Reply: Tial Turbocharger