Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Let's talk about those mods we regret...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Let's talk about those mods we regret...

**Talking about modifications, not you John D. (super mod)**

Been lots of new players on here as of late and it's sometimes a fruitful exercise to share the voice of hindsight regarding the stuff we've tweaked, removed, thrown away, modified, super-sized, miniaturized, replaced, and/or "upgraded" on/to/from our cars.

I'll go first: If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have avoided all of those naughty urges to go koo-koo during my engine rebuild. My car was a pretty low mileage example and as I began to drive it daily, it was quickly beginning to nickel and dime me to death as I sorted it out. The oil leaks were nothing short astounding. When I got it up into the stand, one thing led to another. I lost my footing on the slippery slope and became a human avalanche. The new engine has been fantastic (no regrets there), but these cars are really not an investment and I can never really recoup the money I spent. So I'll get my "investment" by driving and enjoying it. My coffin is this car. And my build was/is nothing compared to some of the others I've seen on here

So let's have it...release your pain. Let it all out. Cry in your beer. Be the ball...were you one of the ones who bought the cool collar? Fess up!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A 1 bar boost spring. That started me down the path that endedup with a 700hp EFI track oriented car. That was the mod I regretted the most
Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic! For me it has been items that I have acquired and then due to change in direction no longer needed. For example I bought the Guard TBD for my old G50. Shortly afterwards an opportunity came up to get a new 6 speed gearbox (in fact 2 of them) and I no longer needed the $1300 item I had just bought and the installation labor I ended up paying for.

OT: I intended to keep the G50 as a backup but since the opportunity of acquiring a second 6 speed came up, I have since sold the G50 with the TBD.

Also, there were items that supported CIS, that were really great, but since going EFI they also turned out to be unnecessary for the long term.

Bottom line is that there aren't really any mods or items that were not good, they were just unnecessary due to the fact that my addiction for modifications is not under control.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Olli
Great topic! For me it has been items that I have acquired and then due to change in direction no longer needed.
You know that's an excellent point, Olli! Having a good plan and sticking to it, so as not to accumulate a bunch of parts that won't work. For me, I was limited by both time and money so it was prohibitive for me to even think about EFI. That at least helped in realizing that I'd be building another solid (tried and true) CIS based engine.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
mclaren55
Advanced

Buying a 3.5L, hahahahaha.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Pieces to work around having a cat then only later removing the cat

Buying expensive pads for the front brakes, then later upgrading calipers, rotors and pads!

Having a street alignment done, then putting adjustable sway bars on and having it aligned again for the track!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I would do brake cooling scoops under the car and near the brakes instead of front valance entry- they're pretty tough to plumb cleanly.

I would have thought through my whole EFI conversion before ordering the B&B intercooler- it is pretty tough to make it work with the 3.2 intake manifold- not impossible, but it requires quite a bit of fabrication.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Not really a "mod", but buying brand new Magnecore spark plug wires, new cap, rotor, and coil only to go Electromotive XDi twin plug ignition 200 miles later! BRILLIANT!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Upgrading my 911 to a 930.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I bought Smart racings mag crank pulley and sensor before I bought IA's pulley and sensor. That reminds me that I need to put the Smart item in the classifieds.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I regret saying I'll just build the engine now, so it'll be ready to handle all the super go fast parts later. Later came a lot sooner than I expected, like before I ever started the engine . Oh well... if my tuner would just get some free time to finish my EFI tuning, I'm sure I wouldn't be complaining .
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very close to my heart. There is not one mod I have ever done to any of the cars I have had that was regretted. It was all of the mods/ parts bought that I spent money on with other shops in the past. Most if not all wanted to sell me something. None ever gave me options orchoices. Most never worked or not to what was sold as would. If I added up what I have spent with these shops it makes me cry for sure. I try not to have a rear vision mirror in life. I just wish I had found the shop I use now long ago. I get the best service, the best quality and have had it proved over and over again. Most of the time, I suspect any regrets are stemed from been sold something that never worked or it was over sold. I suppose the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is real. I just wish it was understood by those who sell it. Working with those who know their stuff, or tell you when they don't is refreshing. Thr cream does rise to the top. It a shame we all have to swallow alot of sour milk to find this out.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thinking about my upgrades only hurts when I realize my house could've been paid off with that money - and I'd be totally debt free...
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

You can live in your car but you can't drive your house Brian.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimculp
You can live in your car but you can't drive your house Brian.
Funny, when I brought mine home, I actually tested this theory! WOMEN...SHEESH!

Quick Reply: Let's talk about those mods we regret...