911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Best sounding/loudest exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best sounding/loudest exhaust

I did a search and did not come up with what I was looking for....

Here's the question:

What is the best sounding/raciest exhaust I can put on my 930? The car is not a DD so I am not concerned about resonance...I just want the thing to sound GOOOOODDDD!!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS. - The only exhaust mod I have on my car is a B&B muffler...

I am in the process of researching headers...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
PS. - The only exhaust mod I have on my car is a B&B muffler...

I am in the process of researching headers...
The best header according to most are the B+B. Sure, they are hated by some people because the quality is not any better than cheaper headers, but they deliver horsepower.

There are a couple cheap headers based on the going super fast design, the GSF and OXB headers are the same design. They supposedly have some fitament issues to some buyers.

GHL has a good set of headers, but they are not really cheaper than B+B and supposedly not quite as good on the dyno.

If you don't want heat, Danske has some headers right in the performance products catalog which look pretty nice and are in between the others in price, perhaps a happy medium.

If you want the baddest exhaust around, ditch your muffler and get a zork pipe. Rarlyl8 (Brian Bodart) is selling them and I just bought one. They weigh under two pounds on my scale. There isn't much louder than a foot long straight pipe off the turbo!

They also shoot the occasional flame.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Talk to Stephen Kaspar; aka PorschePHD.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
ferraripete
Racer

hi myles...i called you 2 weeks ago. did you get the message that i returned your call? i have the b & b headers and single outlet pipe. i too am looking to get more engine note and less woosh. i am going to see if the fabguy at waltrip racing will gut my b & b and have it run straight through w/o resonater. i hope to do that in the next two weeks and will let you know the outcome.

hope you are well my friend!

pcb
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 PM
jbailey930
Intermediate

Its very hard to hear the engine over the boost/whoosh with most configs. I had my wastegate dumped on the original setup and it was not bad. You can check out the sound on this dyno run if that may suit you.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...195&pr=goog-sl

This is GHL headers with Bursch muff that was gutted.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I run B&B headers with a Fabspeed single out and it's waaaay too quiet, best solution is a straight pipe (Zork) out of the turbo and a small WG dump pipe.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:46 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ghl build me a dual outlet, I am pretty sure it is a 4 inch tip muffler, it is completely gutted out and was way too loud for the street. I am willing to part with it. I also had it ceramic coated
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run B&B full exhaust not to loud and you def feel a power increase and you keep your heat.best of all when you let off the gas is that unduplicated PORSCHE burble sound the exhaust makes. downside it gets costly. a friend of mine has a borla muffler on his 3.6 and it sounds deep and throaty.makes car alarms go off as you go by. good luck in your search
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using SSI's w/DP single 3.5" tip muffler. A little louder than I like it in the lower range so I made a slip in baffle. Also has a short dump pipe for the w/g. Doesn't set any alarms off.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weight and power motivated me to replace my B&B "single in dual out" with a Zork pipe. It's loudest off boost but quiets down when the turbo's spooled up. If your after that vintage 935 sound a Zork can't be beat.

Lyall
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast82930
Weight and power motivated me to replace my B&B "single in dual out" with a Zork pipe. It's loudest off boost but quiets down when the turbo's spooled up. If your after that vintage 935 sound a Zork can't be beat.

Lyall

We need some youtube sound of that baby!!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case you guys didn't relize this was on their site:
http://www.fabspeed.com/videos/911T-...ork%20Tube.wmv
The zork is tuff to beat, but it can get old after a while when it's your daily driver (I relize the orignal poster indicated that this WASN'T his DD). So I configured the Fabspeed zork flange to accept a custom Borla XR-1 that exits on the passenger side. It's very easy for me to remove whenever I feel like having that famous "IMSA sound". But the Borla sounds fantastic, too and sets off plenty of car alarms in my company parking garage.

(ignore the oil stains...a nice reminder from the original low mileage engine...new garage floor is next on the list)

Last edited by sand_man; 07-08-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with sand_man, the Borla sounds awesome
I have the single in dual out and it frightens people next to me on the road!

The only annoying thing about it (at least for others ) is the flame and the firecracker sound it makes on hi-rev deceleration.

I really like the looks and sound of the Monty exhaust! Youtube has a sound clip of it!
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heard my friends pcar again and borla is a great sound.try to see if you have anyone close to your area with a borla and then you drcide

Quick Reply: Best sounding/loudest exhaust