911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Tire dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire dilemna

Gents: I went in to the tire shop today with a leaking front tire, and they fixed a leaking valve stem. While I was there, the shop manager looked at my right rear and noted that it was getting down to where I should think about buying a new one. The car has a set of staggered Michelin Pilot Sports on it.

Since my fronts are just about new, I asked him to "match the hatch" and give me a price on a set of Michelin rears in 245/45 ZR/16. He looked in his book and told me that Michelin doesn't even make this tire size anymore. Since my fronts are just about new....I don't want to have to off them in order to get a staggered set that matches all the way around. He looked at the DOT date and said that the rears were manufactured in 3/02. I was rather surprised that all of his online and hard copy catalogues didn't have that tire size.

Is there somewhere I can still get a set of rear Michelin's in that size so that I can match the fronts? I'd like them to all wear out together before I switch to another model....and another set of rears would probably last long enough to wear down the fronts.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Shaka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, it appears that Tire Rack has them in stock.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...rk=1&x=11&y=19
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM
DDD
Pro

Aren't pilot sport cup tires strictly racing tires? I don't think that is the road going version.

I mentioned that these tires are not made anymore for the road, two posters from Australia seemed to think they are available in Australia.

I doubt that helps much...
Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm not that up on tires...but I just went out and looked at them and all they say is Michelin Pilot Sport....do the Pilot Sport Cup tires actually say "Cup"? I made the tire tech double check the book and the online listing for Michelins and he verified that there were NO listings for a Michelin Pilot Sport in the 245/45/16 size.....I would imagine that even if they're not being made any more, I should be able to find a couple rear tires to get me through to the next time I have to buy a new set.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Shaka
Track Day

Originally Posted by DDD
Aren't pilot sport cup tires strictly racing tires? I don't think that is the road going version.

I mentioned that these tires are not made anymore for the road, two posters from Australia seemed to think they are available in Australia.

I doubt that helps much...

I think you are right. After looking closer they appear to be made for autocrossing or track events. Still streetable but I dont think this is what Chuck is looking for.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
JFairman
Racer

Default Looks like this place has them still

Michelin Pilot Sport tires
245/45ZR16 Ultra High Performance $212.11
1-877-558-4737

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_tires...brand=Michelin
Old 07-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

JFairman: thank you for your information. I have emailed the company and ordered a set if they still have them in stock. I truly appreciate the fact you took the time and effort to find a possible outlet for me.

Chuck
Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I hate bothering the forum again for such a mundane issue....but after an extensive search all over the US through multiple companies....I have finally reached the conclusion that there just aren't ANY of the Michelin Pilot Sport 245/45ZR/16 tires left anywhere. I was trying to match a new set I have on the front, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible.

I was given an alternative by the Tire Rack...which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE750 that comes in a staggered 16 inch set for around $550 delivered...which I think is a great price. Just the rear Michelins were around $215 each.

My question is....for my 87 930S; or really any equivalent vehicle.....are any of you out there running the Bridgestone Potenza tire...and if so can you tell me any pros/cons about it? It looks like I'm going to have to completely switch brands in order to get a matching front/rear set. I do not track this car, so the Michelin Sport Cup tires are not an option for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

I have a 88 factory 930 cab...and have used lots of tires since it has 203,000 miles. I ran Kuhmos for a long, long time with great luck! Now Kuhmo does'nt make a 245/45. So I put on a set of Fuzions from Tire Rack....made by Bridgestone...look like a Bridestone etc etc. I like them a lot....quiet...look good.....a little softer sidewall than Kuhmo so they ride some what better...good in rain ....I think they'll get good mileage. Most of the time I run my 18 inchers..so I can't say for sure how good they will be...but I bet they will be very good.....good mileage and good in rain. I can't run them on my 18's because the correct sizes aren't available...but I would if I could. I run Kuhmo SPTs on the 18's....so far I don't like them quit as well as the old Kuhmo 712's but they are close....I think big dollars do not equil good tires.....especially on Porsche. PS..If you are ever thinking of running 18s on a factory slant..talk to me first...lots of interference problems!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Bruce: First of all, my hearty congratulations to you for taking care of your car all the way to 203,000 Miles. I'm always gratified to see/hear/read of folks who keep them running into the high mileage categories like you have done. A tribute to the car and the owner. Thanks mucho for all the information. I'm in the process of soliciting responses exactly like yours from the folks who have BTDT because that info is time tested and directly relevant to the make/model of the car. I do not intend to run track...this is a week-ender and fun-run car, so I don't need a super high performance tire. Are the Fusions you mention the same as the Potenzas? Tire Rack never mentioned them in their suggestion of what they'd recommend. I'm primarily interested in one that rides well...NO or LO NOISE if possible, good in wet weather even though 99% of the Porsche folks advertise "garaged and never been in the rain" and something that gets decent mileage. It seems like these 930's are really hard on the rear tires for whatever reason....and in my case it's not because of being driven very hard. Fast, yes, twisties, yes, but driven really hard...no. The passenger rear seems to burn out faster than the other side...???

Again...thanks for the info. Truly appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

Harris Connor at Gran Turismo East in Chamblee Ga is the person who put me on to the Fuzions....Gran Turismo has been here for over 30 years...they really know what works and doesn't work. I am putting on my 16 inchers tomorrow as I JUST damaged the outer rim section on my right rear 18 inch Fikse and will send it back for repair (junk in the road) I bet I'll like the Fuzions better than the Kuhmos....they'll be on about two weeks and for over 1000 miles as I'm taking a long trip. I'll let you know. I can tell you I had a set of 16 inch SO2s on in about 2000.... noisey and did not wear well. Kuhmo 712 Supras were great....but not made anymore. The deal with tires is to put a good "rolling down the road stright" alignment on the car...no trick stuff and find a shop who can balance the tires ON THE CAR...especially the front. Remember..the majority of 930's are just sitting..not running or running poorly....because the owners just have to continually screw with them..and letting so called performance shops screw them over. There are dozens of 930s in the Atlanta area ....maybe 3 are running. The rest are junk or."performance tuned " to a dead stop. People really think they are going to take this 1970's technology and turn it into a Viper or ZO6 beater..and still be able to drive it 100,000 miles with no problems. I will say a performance muffler and a K27-7200 are a must. otherwise the thing is a dog from a dead start. Never..ever run synthetic oil unless you want very short engine life....20-50 Castrol works great. The old pros around 930s will tell you the same thing. I also run a Kokelin intercooler because of the hot weather here....helped a ton! I also have full Griffith AC stuff.....94 outside....40 degrees at the vent.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Bruce wrote: "There are dozens of 930s in the Atlanta area ....maybe 3 are running. The rest are junk or."performance tuned " to a dead stop"

"Performance tuned to a dead stop".....that was a great one liner.....thought provoking, and more than likely has a bit of truth in it. I'll be checking into those tire recommendations you furnished. I just hate to retire (no pun intended) the fronts with all the meat they have left on them, but I won't run two brands just trying to save a few $$. I have a great tire shop, but they have never balanced the tires on the car....they are very meticulous and all the BMW, Porsche, Volvo, Mercedes dealerships send their cars there, so I have implicit faith in their ability, it's just that they've never balanced on the car.

I do have a performance muffler, and a K27 7200 in a box waiting for Ben from M & K to return my Y pipe set up with the SSI products for the 46mm Tial. I see you have a Kokelin....whereas I have a Blown6 that is still in the box. I also have Brian's adjustable WUR and solenoid. I'll be doing an install iof the various items over the next month...but for the time being, the car is running great...and I don't intend to have it "performance tuned to a dead stop". I also use GTX 20-50. My AC is stock and it actually WORKS!!

Let me know how you like the Fuzions running on the 16's....I need to buy something within the next couple months. It seems that for whatever reason...the various companies are phasing the 245/45/16 in and out of production, and you can't count on the same models being in stock for any extended period of time. Thanks again for the feedback....truly appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Eyring
Never..ever run synthetic oil unless you want very short engine life....20-50 Castrol works great.
I was with you until this part. What in depth research do you base THAT statement on???
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

It has been stated that the actual engine would prefer dino oil, but the turbocharger needs synthetic. It shouldn't make a great difference to engine life unless the new oil loosens dirt that is already in the system (engine, oil lines, tank etc) which could then lead to blocked spray holes.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Chuck,
if you haven't purchased tires yet, there is no need to spend the money on a matched set of fronts and rears if your fronts are still new.
just buy a good set of rears from what ever brand and when the fronts wear out get a nice matched set.

I have never had good luck with Fuzions or any of the "cheap brands".

I've always been a Toyo and Falken guy.
Kumho's are nice but i have found Falkens to be a much better tire.
Mich, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Goodyear have never impressed me with what you get for the price you pay.

good luck with the search.

Quick Reply: Tire dilemna