Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What is an 88 Factory Slant nose worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What is an 88 Factory Slant nose worth?

with 92,000 miles in "ok" shape. Black/ light gray int. It was pretty dirty but looked straigt.
I was driving along in Phoenix yesterday and came this small dealership selling one. They wanted $32k for it. Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A picture is worth a 1000 words.....hmmmm...seem to have heard that one before. 92K is a bit high, but depends upon the condition, maintenance schedule, care and feeding etc. I can't imaging why someone would want to try to sell one that's dirty. See if you can post a pic or two. Interior also. Some of the guys here have pretty keen powers of observation.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure it is really a factory slant.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
A picture is worth a 1000 words.....hmmmm...seem to have heard that one before. 92K is a bit high, but depends upon the condition, maintenance schedule, care and feeding etc. I can't imaging why someone would want to try to sell one that's dirty. See if you can post a pic or two. Interior also. Some of the guys here have pretty keen powers of observation.
Sadly I did not take any photos of it. Cars get dirty here in AZ just sitting there. Especially black one's. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DougM
Make sure it is really a factory slant.
It is a real factory slant.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
A picture is worth a 1000 words.....hmmmm...seem to have heard that one before. 92K is a bit high, but depends upon the condition, maintenance schedule, care and feeding etc.

C'mon guys, 92,000 miles on a car that is 19 years old? That's less than 5K miles a year and in the Southern climates, how can you not put that many miles on a Porsche in a year?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

45-60
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
epsdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it really worth - only the buyer and seller know for sure!

I have an '83 factory slant 930S that is pretty near original (couple of bolt on engine mods) that came out of the Special Werks program. It was 1 of 38 slants made at Porsche in Germany, and brought into the US by Dick Barbour in '85. I have all the paperwork and history on this 4 owner car. It was absolutely perfect in every way when I bought it. I paid under $30K for it within the last two years.

There has been a twin to mine for sale recently, starting at $60K. It's now down to $40K - and this is for a relatively rare (1 of 38), pristine car. Still not sold, as far as I am aware.

Another anecdote - I'm currently looking at an '85 factory slant (somewhat the same relative production numbers, since full production didn't start up until '86 for Europe), with 44K miles, and a non-factory, very "built" 6000 mile engine in it. We're working through the PPI process right now, but the asking price is also under $30K.

Take a look at e-bay. There are a lot of sellers that see alot of value in their cars, but the buyers don't always agree. You do need two to tango.

Bottom line, if it's really, really nice, $32K may be about right. Without looking, it's hard to say for sure, but the three cars described above were not described by their sellers as "showroom quality", but IMHO, they are pretty close.

Just one guys opinion ....

Dan

Last edited by epsdan; 06-15-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by epsdan
I have an '83 factory slant 930S that is pretty near original (couple of bolt on engine mods) that came out of the Special Werks program. It was 1 of 38 slants made at Porsche in Germany, and brought into the US by Dick Barbour in '85. I have all the paperwork and history on this 4 owner car. It was absolutely perfect in every way when I bought it. I paid under $30K for it within the last two years.

There has been a twin to mine for sale recently, starting at $60K. It's now down to $40K - and this is for a relavely rare (1 of 38), pristine car. Still not sold, as far as I am aware.

Another anecdote - I'm currently looking at an '85 factory slant (somewhat the same relative production numbers, since full production didn't start up until '86 for Europe), with 44K miles, and a non-factory, very "built" 6000 mile engine in it. We're working through the PPI process right now, but the asking price is also under $30K.

Take a look at e-bay. There are a lot of sellers that see alot of value in their cars, but the buyers don't always agree. You do need two to tango.

Bottom line, if it's really, really nice, $32K may be about right. Without looking, it's hard to say for sure, but the three cars described above were not described by their sellers as "showroom quality", but IMHO, they are pretty close.

Just one guys opinion ....

Dan
Dan,
Shouldn't the fact that this factory slant is an 1988 US car and not a gray market (Like the 83-85 slants) impact its value some?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
epsdan
Advanced

Thumbs up Good question!

Luis,

There is a certain bias in the marketplace in favor of US cars, vs. RoW (non-US)cars, for sure (that's a factual statement, not a judgmental one - while I may not agree that it SHOULD be that way, it certainly is). Even given that, if you look at the exclusivity of the '83-'85 M506 cars (37-40 per year, according to most "experts"), vs. the numbers I've seen for the '88 M505 US cars (271 total = 145 coupes + 14 targas + 112 cabs), you have to ask the question - what is more important - grey/non-grey market vs. low production numbers? I guess everybody makes up their own mind.

For me, unless I can't license it, the grey market is a non-issue. Again, that is just me ...

BTW, of the US cars, (again, according to the information I have been able to get my hands on), the largest "production year" for the slantnose from a M505 US standpoint was 1988 ('87-195, '88-271, '89-143 for a total of 609).

The shorter answer is that I haven't really paid that much attention to the grey market vs. the original US cars, be they slants or not. I'm certainly no expert, but to date, I don't know about a problem (personally) with a grey market car, if the paperwork was done right originally. I hope I don't curse my latest deal by saying that! Having siad that, though, your point is valid - there is a value bias in the US market towards US cars.

Nice GT3, BTW! I love my 930S, but I have to admit a little jealousy!

Dan
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan.
As far as 930's are concerned, and for my purchase of one, it really does not matter to me weather the car is a US car or ROW. With a car that is out of warranty, and in this case (where the differnce between the 2 is so minimal) the deal is more important to me than weather a US dealer sold the car. I guess I am wondering if a "specialty/limited production car" like this should commend a higher premium than what these people are asking. Like I said in my original post, the car is far from a concours car, has obviously been driven (92k!) and who knows what else is wrong with it. The owner of the little dealer bought the car at an auction in Tucson. He also had a 90 C4 there that had been hit and they were selling for $17k. (He likes porsches) Other than these 2 cars, the rest of the lot was full of sub $10k cars and while I would normally never buy a car from a place like this, I have to admit, I was intrigued when I saw the 930S sitting there, like a puppy at a mall dog store wanting you to bring him home.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
epsdan
Advanced

Default There's a lot out there, at the low to mid thirties price.

What I've found is that there are a lot of really nice 930's out there for sale, if you have the time and patience to look. As I mentioned, I'm having a PPI done on one right now, and actually have another one that I was looking at - not too far from you, BTW (not a slantnose, but a drop dead beautiful car). Drop me an e-mail if you want to discuss it drogers (at) epsinc (dot) com. Sorry for the ugly addresses -I'm getting filtered!

Dan
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Found a link to it on Craigslist.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/331395831.html
No affiliation with the seller, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

here are two white cab slant nose that have sold here in so cal in the last 90 days. one at a dealer is a fake ana sold at $27,000. it is a converted carrera, I know, I checked. the other is a real R.O.W. 930S factory slant nose that sold for only $15,000. It is just down the street and supper supper clean. whay did the fake do so much better than the real thing?
Attached Images    
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

The real 930's are defiantely worth considerably more than conversions. The car in question is a coupe.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: What is an 88 Factory Slant nose worth?