911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Autronic SMC

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Noah Holcomb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autronic SMC

Is any one running this ECU? I have been looking into several ECU and was looking toward the Haltech E6X, and E11v2. However I have just started to read about the Autronic products, and I can get an SMC system for a decent price. So any one who has ran this ECU what did you like about it and what were it's faults?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Stephen Kaspar uses Autronic. Must be good.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't validate the quality of an ECU by whether one tuner uses it or not. That said, I will add that Stephen doesn't use junk, they are mutually exclusive. There are tons of options out there find one that is common to the tuner you plan to use and is generic enough that it will not be a negative should you plan to sell in the future.

Last edited by schnele; 04-28-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I forgot about a big thread that was on this board recently. Basically the advice is to get a system that your local dyno operator can tune correctly. A good system badly tuned will be worse than a average system correctly tuned.

Ask your dyno tuner what ECU's they like best.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did an EFI conversion using A Haltech E11v2
I like it .......many features easy to use . very good quality and easy to understand instructions.
Elliot
Old 04-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The SMC is limited in what it can do. As long as you recognize that and design your install around its limitations, you will be Ok. I'd continue looking.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Bailey-86-MA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Autronic. This will be third season with it. Factors were cost, recommendations from others, and a local guy who knows how to set it up well. Goes on the dyno Monday after work over the winter.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The SMC is limited in what it can do. As long as you recognize that and design your install around its limitations, you will be Ok. I'd continue looking.
I use the SMC but regret not getting the SM4 which has funkier stuff. Use SMC if you think your needs are simple and will not grow over time. Get SM4 if you cannot leave well enough alone for long and have constant need to tweak and upgrade. But SMC does have everything that a standard EFI project demands

Also ensure you dont get a good deal because it is an older version. The newer versions of SMC and SM4 have more features and not all are upgradeable from older versions.

The interface is simple enough such that I can make small adjustments on my own or by just calling my tuner on the phone for simple instructions.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: get a good tuner that knows how to use the unit that he is asked to tune but his tuning skill and experience remains paramount
Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Noah Holcomb
AutoX

I have experience with the Accel GEN-6 Fully Sequential DFi from my Turbo Buick days, any EFI system out now will be light years ahead of that. It's not that GEN-6 EFi was bad, it's just the software had it's last revision released in 1993, I ran it on a 386 laptop for goodness sakes! GEN-6 EFi could get the job done pretty well on the Buick (keep in mind this was for a drag car) but it takes so long to get to that point with such an antiquated system. All the newer systems are so much better in terms of the interface, sampling rate, and data display and logging. I did the work on my own with the Buick and I will likely do a majority of the tuning on this car to a point. There are several good tuners fairly close to me, so whatever EFI control unit I choose I will have support if I reach a point where I no longer feel comfortable tuning the car. I really want a control system that will support sequential direct fire coil ignition with a twin plug system, although I would settle for wasted spark. I have been considering twin injector per cylinder based on my dealing with around town drivability with large injectors on my Turbo Buick V-6 (it ran 83 lbm/hr.)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there are many good units out there. I like the SMC and have grown to like the SM4. The bottom line is find a tuner who meets your needs then use the system that he knows. The best system in the world will be the worst system if he does not know how to tune it.

Quick Reply: Autronic SMC