Another rebuild/EFI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Olli,

Is there any chance that you will have the 930 at this years Rennsport Reunion? I see you're in NC- it's not too far for you.

Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Olli
Racer

Jim, PM sent....
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Thanks for sharing Olli. It looks incredibly long hehe.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Thanks for sharing Olli. It looks incredibly long hehe.
I was amazed at how much bigger it looked than the G50. I'm sorry I did not get a picture of the two of them side by side.

G64/51

G50/01

Last edited by Olli; 08-23-2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added a pic of G50
Old 09-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Olli
Racer

There was some discussion in Stephen's thread re: 964Turbo EFI conversion about the location of the air intake. Here's where my builder put mine:

Jean's comments in Stephen's thread are well taken and I can see a GT2 wing in my future
Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Olli,

We considered that location a couple of times very seriously. We thought that the ambient heat from the turbo housing would heat the intake air too much. You've had good performance with it?

Jim
Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Olli
Racer

Back to the transmission:

The G64/51 shifts very smooth and I could not be happier with the transmission itself.

There was a little issue with the speedometer since pre-1991 cars had some sort of magnet that sensed the rotation of a wheel inside the differential cover and the post 1991 cars measured speed at one of the wheels. So, since my car is a 1989 and the transmission is 1996/7 we had to figure something out. And the solution was a sensor reading the rotation of a 'toner wheel' from 8 equally spaced bolts. The 'toner wheel is sandwiched between the CV flange and the CV joint as shown below:

I also have an AP Racing LWFW/Race Cluch/PP installed right now and I am still getting used to the different feel, and also the extra noise that the LWFW lets past it. I never realized how much the big and heavy flywheels masked the noise coming from the transmission. So, whether I keep this setup or go back to my old FW/Clutch is still up in the air.

The job is not quite finished yet, just some cosmetic stuff left to do. I have ordered a 993 center console from Better Bodies (see a separate thread about Better Bodies - I'm slightly concerned now...) to make the shifter with it's 6 speed **** look more natural. Right now the RUF 6 speed **** does not look good at the end of the long shifter. I expect that to change when the 993 center console is in place. Here's the current (not so good) looks:

The protrusion at the back as a result of the longer transmission should "blend in" when the 993 Center console is installed....At least I hope so.....

Old 09-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by jimculp
Olli,

We considered that location a couple of times very seriously. We thought that the ambient heat from the turbo housing would heat the intake air too much. You've had good performance with it?

Jim
Thanks Jim,

So far so good, but I don't doubt that it is not the ideal location and I am planning on utilizing the GT2 wing in the future for picking up some air as Jean suggested.

My car is a street car and sees short bursts of spirited driving only, so it will be OK for a while...but to answer your question directly: For me, the performance is really good...(understanding that this statement is relative to what one is used to)...but yes, I am very happy with it. I still have the small RUF intercooler which gets hot pretty quick so when I can afford something again, that will be changed to an appropriate IC for my setup.

For your setup, as someone suggested, the break vents might be a great way to enhance the air intake? I also think those vents look good. What is your experience so far regarding performance in your setup?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Well for the 150 miles that I had the car before it seized it ran like a peach!
I guess I'll just have to experiment a little more with it and see what seems to work the best.

That shifter setup looks really nice BTW.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Jim,

Yes, I remember the seized rod - I hope that the rod issue is history and that you get the car back on the road again real soon to enjoy it
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Olli,

The location of your intake is *much* better in my opinion than the other one, that is inside the wheel well, at least based on air flow. In your case, there is a lot of fresh air coming from the undercarriage and exiting from the rear while driving. The heat from the turbo's hot side will not affect it, while running the hot air will flow backwards, and at idle the turbo is not "really" spooling, the issue might be after a hard run and coming to traffic, where the turbos will still be very hot. Easy fix is to put a turbo blanket.

I would be only worried about debris from the tires and dirty water if it is raining, it can be worked out with a shield and smart ducting. No need for a GT2 wing, One of the nicest things about these cars are the turbo wing they have!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Jean,

As always, I really appreciate the sharing of your insightful thoughts

Maybe a turbo blanket for now and ducts from the top of the wing with GT3 like scoops there later when I do the IC switch.

I think you are right about the wing. I had just seen this Guards red slantnose with a GT2 wing at SpeedWerks and started wanting one for myself too. This is the same car that had the Better Bodies 993 Center Console in it. But I think you are right, why molest the car if there is really no need to.

I put it all on this terrible addiction of just thinking that I have to get every nice thing that I see
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Mo Mia
Advanced

Hi Olli,

I don't often post or respond but I am an avid reader of the posts on the 930 forum. I had my intake in exactly the same place as you. I do 6 track days a year and a couple of autox's. The first filter I had on showed signs of melting so the shop changed it even though I objected to the location (once bitten twice shy) but they were insistent. You can guess what happend next, the second melted and disintegrated under the heat generated in that area which stuffed up the turbine of my new GT35. Luckily, if you can call it that, no further damage was caused. I had it moved to the left rear fender by another shop.

This is just my 0.02c worth from personal bad experience.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Mo Mia,

I appreciate the warning. I am planning on bringing the intake filter upward and scooping some air inside the grill as suggested by Jean a while back. I'll do that with the next "phase" - which will only be the IC and another couple of small things probably. In the meantime, I will just do regular driving - no track days. For the meantime, I will probably put a turbo blanket on. Never even seen one but since it was suggested, might as well take that precaution.

OT: I used to live in SA from 1974 to 1986....
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Mo Mia
Advanced

hey cool man ... small world ... i'm from sunny Durban ,,, where were u based for 12 years

Quick Reply: Another rebuild/EFI conversion