Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Another rebuild/EFI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

It's great to see how well the engine turned out, congrats!!!

I can't to wait to hear about the 6 speeds, both of them .
Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schnele
Hey Olli is the dyno chart reflecting rear wheel HP or Flywheel, the chart indicates the latter. Great numbers either way and done in great time as well.
I was surprised about that too. I ended up calling Dynapack USA to ask about that. The answer was that provided the total correction factor (tcf on the chart) is one (1), it is the rear-wheel power as "seen" by the Flywheel divided by the ratio shown on the chart, in this case 3.86. (at least that's my best understanding of the confusing explanation). The ratio apparently is the final drive ratio multiplied by the gear ratio of the gear used. For instance with the torque, apparently what the flywheel "sees" as the rear wheel torque using my chart earlier as an example, is a little over 2000 lb-ft, and to translate that to the real number you have to adjust for the ratio.
How's that for a convoluted long answer

The short answer is that it is rear wheel power. Apparently Dynapack removed the word Flywheel in the later versions of the software because it was causing too much confusion.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by 125shifter
It's great to see how well the engine turned out, congrats!!!

I can't to wait to hear about the 6 speeds, both of them .
Thanks David! I am very much looking forward to getting them on as well. At the end of the week I will take the car back and let them start with the job. To put either one of these gearboxes in requires that I also get the coil-overs (RSR) so that they can fit these larger transmissions in there. They need to cut into the car a bit and in the process remove the torsion bars to make space.
Once all that is done and I've driven a bit with the G64/51, I will do another post to give my impressions.

BTW another thing I am looking forward to is the sports clutch with the pressure plate and single mass lightweight flywheel that Jean sent with the sequential.
That flywheel should make a difference and of course the sports clutch will be a bit different from what I'm used to. The LWFW/Clutch/PP looks like it's never been used!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Olli the torque numbers are STAGGERING! anything over 500 for torque is nuts. The trans will also move the engine back further which may lead to other issues. Did you have the case and the main shaft machined?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Olli
Racer

Olli the torque numbers are STAGGERING! anything over 500 for torque is nuts.
When deciding on the 3.6RS crank I was told that would make it more torquey with the extra 2mm of stroke.
Maybe that has something to do with the torque numbers.

The trans will also move the engine back further which may lead to other issues. Did you have the case and the main shaft machined?
I know they'll have to cut into the car and do some fabrication stuff there. But that's what they do very often with cars that they work on so I am looking forward to seeing exactly how they do it. David did show me two other cars they had in the shop where they had done it and the main thing I remember is the cut (or rather a narrow slit) deeper into the mid section of the car and some supporting bars I saw in the cut area.
The case and main shaft were not machined. I hope I can get a picture of the installation just before it goes in to show what was done. If I do I will share it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I wanted to bring this thread to the fore since my car is now at Speedwerks, thanks Olli, I plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks maybe we can rustle up some Rennlisters to meet up a Speedwerks. I will be driving down with a trailer so I am planning to be in the area for at least one full day.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Olli
Racer

I wanted to bring this thread to the fore since my car is now at Speedwerks, thanks Olli, I plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks maybe we can rustle up some Rennlisters to meet up a Speedwerks. I will be driving down with a trailer so I am planning to be in the area for at least one full day.
Thanks Lincoln! Looking forward to meeting you in person
Yes, I think for anyone around here who has not been to Dave's shop yet it would be pretty interesting to see what goes on right here.
Also, I think on the weekend of Sept 7 - 9 there is some event at VIR again. Would be a convenient coincidence if your car was ready at that time. We'd be assured to meet up with some other Rennlisters during that weekend at VIR.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I will be in Rome that weekend so I am hoping to be down there the weekend of August 24 and 25. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Olli
Racer

An update on the 6 speed installation: The G64/51 is in the car with the AP Racing lightweight flywheel/PP/Clutch that I received with the sequential. I had a Guard TBD installed in the transmission and SpeedWerks also did some preventive maintenance by putting some new gaskets in there.

A prerequisite was also replacing the torsion bars with full RSRs all around since the torque bar had to be cut due to the length of the box.

Here's a few pictures of the installation:

The RSRs (just showing the rear ones not to waste too much space here):

The G64/51 stamp:

The mount from inside the car:

A couple of pictures from under the car focusing on where the linkage is to the shaft from the shifter:

the drivetrain:

Once the brake lines have been coupled together, the inside cover placed on the part of the transmission that protrudes into the car + carpeting etc., and I am supposed to select a new speedo, I will post my first driving impressions with the 6 speed. Just testing the shifting inside the car feels real good though.

Edit: BTW, no modifications of any kind were made to the transmission itself for fitment. Naturally, the shaft from the shifter needed to be shortened.

Last edited by Olli; 08-17-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Ollie. I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to drive her.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Good stuff Olli, I hope Speedwerks will have both our cars ready soon, looks like you will be first, so you could show me some North Carolina roads when I pick mine up.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Jim and Lincoln!

Lincoln, I am looking forward to teaming up with you and your car to do a little driving here
Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

That's just beautiful...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Olli,

What an unbelievable project! Did you perform any chassis/shock mount strengthening for the RSR suspension? Do you have a shot of the shifter mechanism for the sequential box?

Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Drew and Jim!

Jim, I will have a front strut bar installed and the rear shock towers were strengthened already - can't see it too clearly here but there is some stuff welded on.

If this is not the shot you had in mind, let me know and I can take another picture today since the sequential is in my garage.

Quick Reply: Another rebuild/EFI conversion