Silicone hose for intake elbow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicone hose for intake elbow?

I working on intake piping to the turbo. The stock pipe diameter going from the filter element to the turbo is too small for the inlet opening on the turbo, so I was wondering if I could use high grade silicone hose to go from the turbo just past the motor mount or will silicone hose collapse under vacuum stress?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Do you mean a silicone intake coupler or are you asking about actual silicone hoses to replace vaccuum lines and such? Either will work just fine. The lines collapsing under vaccuum pressure is somewhat of an urban myth. Generally you'll be just fine with most brands of silicone hose. There are some out there that are so thin and pliable they practically have the consistancy of foam, though I haven't seen that stuff for sale too often (sorry, I really don't remember a specific brand). With thin, weak stuff like that, it can be a very real possibility that it could collapse to a degree. If you stick to most reputable brands like Samco, Hosetechniques, etc then you'll be just fine. Samco is my personal favorite.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I'm doing an EFI conversion so I will have a 3" K&N filter going to an aluminum pipe to feed the turbo intake air. I'm wondering if the final bend just before the turbo inlet/after the level of the motor mount can be silicone tube.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I run a silicone elbow with no problems (except for the spring that keeps the plastic intake rigid fell into the turbine wheel). With my EFI conversion currently underway I will have a mandrel bent pipe right from the turbo to the air filter.

Craig
Old 03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any reinforced elbows? I'm guessing you've looked.

What about an aluminum elbow with two straight sections of silicone at each end?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I run a silicone elbow with no problems (except for the spring that keeps the plastic intake rigid fell into the turbine wheel). With my EFI conversion currently underway I will have a mandrel bent pipe right from the turbo to the air filter.

Craig
So you are obviously going to enlarge the opening for the pipe in the tin next to the motor mount? Will you hammer the bend that allows clearance by the motor mount?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Are there any reinforced elbows? I'm guessing you've looked.

What about an aluminum elbow with two straight sections of silicone at each end?
That would be great if I could find a 70 degree mandrel bend section. I know 125Shifter got an aluminum elbow and cut it up to get the desired bend. It's a pretty severe angle to get from the turbo inlet to the tin opening.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Samco's stuff is reinforced and excellent quality. You can get just about anything you'd need from ATP Turbo . Most 930 owners aren't running nearly enough boost that would cause any problems with typical reinforced hoses like Samco's stuff. Or you could just simplify things, run a filter directly on the turbo, and maybe run a filter shield like this to provide some protection from road debris. That's the route I'm taking but, I'm also lazy and tired of fidgeting around with the intake pipe.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Originally Posted by jimculp
So you are obviously going to enlarge the opening for the pipe in the tin next to the motor mount? Will you hammer the bend that allows clearance by the motor mount?

The system is a Protomotive Stage 3+++ setup. The Garrett turbo sits a little different than the KKK. The intake will be shaped around the mount, much like a Ruf setup.

Craig
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I use a 4" silcone hose to feed the turbo from the engine compartment to the turbo - not the entire way, but there are two 90 degree elbows and one 15 degree. The KN filter I use has so much flow, you would not come close to collapsing it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...upID=TURBOHOSE
Try these people. They seem to have a good selection and understand racing requirements.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Originally Posted by DonE
I use a 4" silcone hose to feed the turbo from the engine compartment to the turbo - not the entire way, but there are two 90 degree elbows and one 15 degree. The KN filter I use has so much flow, you would not come close to collapsing it.
How did you get a 4" elbow to route up into the engine compartment? Not much room there

I had to get ATPTurbo to CNC the inlet of the GT35R down to a 3.25" OD!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I noticed the blue Samco hoses are thicker than other colors, so if you go with Samco you may want to stick with blue.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Samco's stuff is reinforced and excellent quality. You can get just about anything you'd need from ATP Turbo . Most 930 owners aren't running nearly enough boost that would cause any problems with typical reinforced hoses like Samco's stuff. Or you could just simplify things, run a filter directly on the turbo, and maybe run a filter shield like this to provide some protection from road debris. That's the route I'm taking but, I'm also lazy and tired of fidgeting around with the intake pipe.
Interesting idea- I might try that.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProtoCab
How did you get a 4" elbow to route up into the engine compartment? Not much room there

I had to get ATPTurbo to CNC the inlet of the GT35R down to a 3.25" OD!
That's why I'm just running a filter on the turbo. Geez, I think my intake pipe was only a ~2" or at least no more than 2.5", and even that was a tight fit! Needless to say it was a bit restrictive and I noticed a small improvement in spool up by eliminating it. Good luck Jim.

Quick Reply: Silicone hose for intake elbow?