911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'87 turbo clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '87 turbo clutch adjustment

I have an '87 turbo trans (not hydralic) with the sport spring center clutch disc.
The clutch grabs about 1 in off the floor. All the slack seems to be in the helper spring. As I push the pedal down the helper spring rotates pretty much the entire pedal travel. Do I keep tightening up the cable to take most of the helper spring travel out?
Harold
'79 930/DP935
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your helper spring look like this? This is the correct postion.

Is your adj bolt adjuste right? Does it look like the pic?
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
mark '87 930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A930Rocket, WOW that looks so clean under there!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:10 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

It doesn't always look like this. If I had enough room to take a picture, I must have had the engine and trans out for work before and cleaned it.

Originally Posted by mark '87 930
A930Rocket, WOW that looks so clean under there!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 AM
strudel
Racer

Yes, it looks like that. I adjusted the cable so the clutch engages about half way through the pedal travel. The adjustment looks the same. But there is no play between the clutch arm and the adjusting bolt.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

There shuold be just a hair of a gap between the the bolt and the arm. I adj mine so that it just touches and then snug the jam bolt down. Try to adj it.

Originally Posted by strudel
.... But there is no play between the clutch arm and the adjusting bolt.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM
strudel
Racer

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Loosen the cable where it attaches to the transmission until there is no tension on the arm that has the helper spring attached to it. make sure that arm is as far to the rear of the car as its travel will allow. Next, use a feeler guage to set the gap between the small lever and the arm at 1.1mm. do this by moving the set screw, then lock it in place with the jam nut. You have just set the free play you feel at the pedal. Now, adjust the cable where it attaches to the trans until you get a 1.0mm gap between the lever and the arm. secure the cable in that spot by the other jam nut on the cable at the trans and you are done. A few notes: Make sure you have enough "bow" in the cable where it goes over the bell crank on the trans. If you don't the clutch will chatter. Also, if you run out of thread on the cable before you can get the proper adjustment, the clevis on the other end of the cable is not screwed on far enough. good luck
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Check out a service manual. It will give you the full procedure for clutch adjustment. You need to have slack in the cable while you adjust the gap between the adjustment bolt and the arm. You can loosen it by loosening the nuts that hold the cable which are above the rubber bellows boot in the picture above. Once the cable is slack, adjust the gap between the bolt and the arm to 1.2mm, and tighten the jam nut. Then tighten the cable back up till there is a 1.0mm gap between the bolt and arm. Once this is set, make sure the throw of the arm is in factory specs (I forget what it is off the of my head, check a manual), and you should be done.

BTW A930rocket that IS clean underneath, nice work!

---Chris A.

Last edited by Droops83; 01-30-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Wow PorscheMD posted right before I did!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
strudel
Racer

PorscheMD & Droops83. I must still be missing something. I followed the manual procedure. What I got was the clutch engaging about an 1" off the floor. As you push the clutch pedal down the helper spring seems to rotate until it hits the trans, then engages the clutch arm. The majority of the pedal travel is in the helper spring rotating.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't remember where I read it but someone had the arm or the spring in the wrong position and he got no clutch travel until he was about one inch or so off the floor. He said that he had it just like the picture in the manual but later admitted that it looked the same but wasn't. Is there some way where the whole rig might be mounted "Backwards" and look very similar? Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Can you take a pic and post it?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Originally Posted by strudel
PorscheMD & Droops83. I must still be missing something. I followed the manual procedure. What I got was the clutch engaging about an 1" off the floor. As you push the clutch pedal down the helper spring seems to rotate until it hits the trans, then engages the clutch arm. The majority of the pedal travel is in the helper spring rotating.

When you set the distance between the arm and the small lever at 1.1mm you are setting the free play at the top of the clutch pedal. This free play should be roughly an inch of travel before the pedal starts getting stiffer. Do you have more free play then that? You say the majority of your travel is in the spring and it hits the trans. that shouldn't happen. It sounds like your problem is in the position that you have the helper spring. Also , when you put the small lever on the splinned shaft, make sure you put it as close to the arm as possible without hitting it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
strudel
Racer

Here is a shot of my set up.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

From the pic, it looks like you have it set up right. Loosen the cable all the way off at the transmision until it is not pulling on the arm at all. I think this may be where the problem is. You have to set the distance between the small lever and the bolt with no tension on the arm from the cable. Set the gap to 1.1mm. Then, adjust the gap to 1.0mm at the cable where it attaches to the trans. It looks like you have the cable way too tight.

Quick Reply: '87 turbo clutch adjustment