911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Any 930s in Seattle???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any 930s in Seattle???

Well guys, it is happening. I am up in Seattle and my GF is starting to talk me into moving up here (she is from this area).

Although I have seen quite a few 996s and 997s (some turbos) I have not seen any older turbos zooming around in the rain. Having said that, with all of the hills and wet weather, is a 930 a reasonable/practical car to own up here? I know that there are certain days during the summer and spring that I can use the car, but overall, the lack of anti-lock brakes, abs, and turbo lag would make the car a handful (especially a modded car like mine) the majority of the time in the wet, hilly surroundings.

What do you guys think? The car is not a daily driver in Louisiana, and would not be a daily driver in Seattle, BUT the idea of not being able to take the car out on a regular basis and get my "fix" is a little daunting.

Admittedly, I would probably buy a truck if I made the move seeing as how a modded Vette & a modded 930 are probably not the best cars to own in this kind of weather, so the 930 would spend the majority of its time in the garage.

I am just curious about what some of you think, and I would be interested in hearing from some Seattle 930 owners. I really don't want to sell the car, but if I will never be able to use it, then I may have to opt for a newer awd turbo (read 993tt).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..
Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk w/ the Northwest Guru.... Steve Weiner at Rennsport:

www.rennsportsystems.com Portland, OR has similar weather I hear.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the lead Gino. This is looking more and more like something that might happen before the close of '07. We'll see.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Our favorite turbo guru is in Washington. Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks. Give him a shout.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Man, going from flat, hot and humid to hilly, cold and wet will be a big change for ya. I say keep the car...it can't rain ALL the time up there. Plus, a little boost is a useful venting tool if the GF ever gets PO'd at you
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

You are NOT going to be able to drive a 930 as a daily driver without issues.. Picture the front windshield fogged and the wipers running at full tilt.. That's been our winter this year.. I have not pulled mine out of the garage since fall.. We had a nice day on Sunday and one could have had a nice drive. We have had alot of ice and rain turning to ice in the evening.

Moving from the Midwest where we always had snow, my first winter out in Seattle resulted in me wrecking my 911 in a brisk October.. I was accelerating on a on ramp and the low area fog/mist had turned to frost, where my driveway or local streets didn't.. The a$$ end came around, and I was in the armco barrier..

Grab a Farmers Almanac and see what the weather is like or what is predicted.. As you know today it rained..

Even if you are the best rain driver it is the "other" drivers changing lanes right in front of you or slamming there brakes on at 55-60MPH.. ABS is nice...

The picture that I have painted sounds horrid, however sunny days in the Northwest can't be beat!!! And worth keeping the car..
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

When I bought my 930, I was living in Portland. Weather is pretty similar to that in Seattle. Admittedly, I was only there for a year, and the winter I experienced was unusually mild, I was told. But I still drove my Porsche in the rain. Windows misting up can be a problem, so make sure you know how to decipher the ventilation controls. Rain is slippery (duh), so just make sure you're pointed in a straight line when you tap into boost. The temperature gets down to freezing levels (watch out for black ice) only a couple weeks out of the entire year, so know what the temperature is like and drive accordingly. Obviously the winter Kevin's experiencing is worse than what I (anomolously) went through. But just keep those things in mind, and I don't see why you can't drive a 930 in the PNW. Particularly if it's your 2nd/3rd vehicle.

My 930 wasn't my daily driver; my motorcycle was. I'd be more concerned about the PITA factor of driving a 930 in heavy Seattle traffic.

Trade off is SPECTACULAR scenery. Go for mountain drives through the volcanos/mountains and the Columbia River Gorge, and it's impossible not to be awestuck. And both Seattle and Portland have racetracks for DEs and such.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

JWL,

I hear you bro! NOTHING helps you get over being pizzed off like hitting the boost bong!!! And NOTHING makes a fast get away from a pizzed off woman like a 930!!!

Kevin,

Your input is greatly appreciated. I was thinking exactly what you described. This past Sunday was a perfect 930 day, however today was anything but. My GF has an apartment on Queen Anne Hill and needless to say, on days like today getting up and down the hill with a 930 could get a little interesting. At least my Vette has abs & traction control (even though it is modded).

I think if I make this move I am going to keep my cars and add some sort of awd vehicle to the stable.

Thanks again for the responses gentlemen.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My Brother in Law has an 80-930 that has lived it`s entire life in the area. 250 some odd thou and it has always been outside. Durability!! He has had it for decades and it still cooks(but in a stock way) Email me and I will send address. KEEP THE CAR!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Has ANYONE figured out the ventilation control enigma?
Originally Posted by Noah930
Windows misting up can be a problem, so make sure you know how to decipher the ventilation controls.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

I have a modded 930 and live in Seattle. Basically, it's a May-September car, with occasional forays out in the offseason when it's dry and not icy. And when it does come out, it's not for commute purposes, since our commute sucks badly around here, and with a 935 puck clutch, stop and go is a bitch on the flats, let alone hills.

Gives me something to look forward to, though, that's for sure...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add a truck to your fleet and keep the rest of the toys around for summer and the occasional off-season sun breaks. There are more then a dozen hard core 930's in town and at least half of them have seen some track time.

For me, having a truck as a daily driver is the only reason I still have my drivers license....

Lyall
Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just got back to Louisiana and when I stepped into my garage, both of my babies were there to greet me.

I am going to keep them both and get a 4wd truck. I should know by the summer if I am going to take this relationship all the way and move to the Seattle area. Next time I am up, I would like to meet some of you guys. Maybe we can get together and have a couple of beers.

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have no problem getting out to get the boost fix, even during the winter months. There's a darn good Turbo community in the area as well (DE, auto-x, concours, tours, etc).

As Lyall says, be sure to get a truck. You'll need this to harass the Prius drivers...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeff91C2T
You'll have no problem getting out to get the boost fix, even during the winter months. There's a darn good Turbo community in the area as well (DE, auto-x, concours, tours, etc).

As Lyall says, be sure to get a truck. You'll need this to harass the Prius drivers...
Yeah, I noticed the overwhelming number of "hybrids" when I was up there. I think my last tribute to the Cajun gods before moving up will be a Ford F-350 FX4 Crew Cab Dually with the Powerstroke diesel.

That ought to harass the Prius drivers....

Quick Reply: Any 930s in Seattle???