Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Any 930s in Seattle???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
bwbolin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived in Seattle most of my life. I drive my 930 most of the year. Only in the crapiest weather do I take the truck out. Driving in winter is not that bad, you just have to watch out for all the other people. They are so busy talking on the phone and drinking coffee with the other hand. When the spring hit, there is not better mountain roads in the US. The north cascades highway is all that.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I guess your avatar shows how strong the targa roll bar is.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Hey Cajun, Bruce M and Lyall bot have some wild cars, Bruce will help you spend some money on EFI and G50 conversion and he is an attorney as well so it is something else you have in common.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. This move is looking more and more like something that could take place.

I am beginning to syke myself up to take the Washington Bar Exam in July...

Bruce, any ideas on where I should look for employment???
Old 01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schnele
Hey Cajun, Bruce M and Lyall bot have some wild cars, Bruce will help you spend some money on EFI and G50 conversion and he is an attorney as well so it is something else you have in common.
It sounds like there is a pretty nice turbo community up there. As much as I would LOVE to go EFI, the first order of business after the move would be HOUSE.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Yes, House would be good. Kinda spendy these days, unfortunately. Even more than EFI . As to employment, you probably know the drill--send out resumes, maybe hire a headhunter, pass the bar and keep the faith. Lots of people want to be lawyers in Seattle, so it's a buyer's market. But doggedness does wonders.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Yes, House would be good. Kinda spendy these days, unfortunately. Even more than EFI . As to employment, you probably know the drill--send out resumes, maybe hire a headhunter, pass the bar and keep the faith. Lots of people want to be lawyers in Seattle, so it's a buyer's market. But doggedness does wonders.
Yeah, that's the drill.

Unfortunately for me, I was one of the crazy ones. Katrina hit the summer after I graduated from Tulane and exactly one month after I took the bar in the Superdome. (Can you believe that the Louisiana Supreme Court informed us that they may have lost our bar exams in the storm!!!!). Fortunately, my bar exam was not lost and I passed. Got a job with a defense firm and went to work. Had enough of the defense mentality and lack of court time after 10 months, and went out on my own. Been kicking azz ever since as plaintiffs attorney.

Now that my business is beginning to make some $$$, my GF who is a prosecutor in Seattle, has informed me that she is NOT willing to move back to Louisiana (she is originally from Seattle and we met at Tulane Law).
I know from watching her try to get a job that it will be no easy task in Seattle, and that is one of the reasons that I am not packed yet. (She was top of the class and none of the defense firms wanted to pick her up. They gave preference to local L-school grads).

I am not worried about passing the bar. What bothers me is my lack of contacts. I KNOW I can make a killing financially down here, but I am not so sure about the market up there. All of my friends who are attorneys up there have informed me that it is a buyers market and the ONLY thing I may have going for me is my minority status (apparently there aren't many young black male attorneys up there??? I don't know how true that is, I think they are trying to persuade me to move up!!!) and it may sway some plaintiffs firms that I am a profitable plaintiffs attorney with a great deal of court/client experience down here. Who knows. I may end up sleeping in the 930!!!

If any of you guys pass a local park and there is a tent made out of a black 930 with RUF wheels and a Polo Green Vette with black GS wheels and a sign saying "Will Race for Food", stop by. It is probably me!!! If nothing else, I will have a hot pot of Seafood Gumbo and a cold beer near by!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Well, Seattle is a terrific city. Loads of character, and lots of interesting places to visit/hang out/explore.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Cajun--If you're good and you're driven, you can get a job anywhere eventually, even if that job is self-created. Seattle included.

All else roughly equal, minority status does help with the larger firms, but it doesn't sound like that's the way you would want to go.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like. The Porsche content is dwindling...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
D.A.Bull
Intermediate

Default What rain ??

I live on the south east coast of Vancouver Island, less than 50 miles as the crow flies. I know the weather you're learning about.
The only thing I'd say is watch out for tire compound. As the temp can swing 15 or 20 degrees in a matter of hours, those Yokies that were sticky at 70, won't hold for nuthin at 50, especially if the road surfaces are a tad moist.
As to fogging, I never have trouble with the defrost, here it is:
Fan on high, top two levers all the way to the left, bottom lever all the way to the right.
Good luck
DB
85 Euro 930

Quick Reply: Any 930s in Seattle???