Need an Atlanta painter

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:54 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need an Atlanta painter

Well after a year of working on my car preparing it to be painted, I was informed by my painter the he can't get to it until the early summer. He is very good and it might be worth the wait but I sure would be obliged if any one in the greater Atlanta area could give me the name of a good painter.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
sand_man
Drifting

DonE could probably give you some advice. I think Don does his own painting, but he might have a name for you...just a thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I did my own job was two-fold - cheaper and I like to paint. Some of the quotes I got were real big and they wanted to take months to complete because the real money is in repairs.

There is a good painter in Fayetteville, but he is backed up due to a couple of restorations he is doing and he is a 3 man shop. My recommendation (if you don't get anything here) is to call some paint supply shops and find out who they recommend. Since they visit shops a lot (sales visits), they are up on who does good jobs. Then go visit the shop and see some of the work yourself.

Riverdale Collision (Jimmy Houston) just does repair jobs, but he might be able to recommend someone. Jimmy and his son Trey, are good people. (411, Riverdale, GA)

If you want to talk about this more, you are welcome to call (404-663-9383) and I'll try to give you some other ideas - are you willing to use a painter on the north-side of Atlanta (80 miles away)?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 AM
gaijin
Racer

Give Johan Ragnarsson, JRD Tuning a call at 404.213.3908. His shop is adjacent to Panoz Auto Development in Hoschton (east of Road Atlanta/Chateau Elan). Johan's shop does the prep work and reassembly. Paint is done at Panoz Auto Development. Excellent work. The Paint Shop Supervisor at PAD is Keith. Knows his paints and blends really well.

I know that JRD is finishing up a frame-on resto on a Ferrari 328 this week. Johan might have an opening soon.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks gaijin, I'll call him and see what he has available. If anyone else has any contacts please let me know.
Rudy
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
gaijin
Racer

Rudy,

I spoke to Hank Burell, General Manager, Panoz Auto Development. Give him a call directly at 770.8674796.

His paint department does the paint work for the newly built Panoz Esperantes and on space-available, he will do other cars. They are one of the best in the ATL, if you can manage to get your car into their painting schedule.

Larry
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry,
I talked with Hank today and sent his painter, Keith, some pics of my car. Keith is going to get back to me tomorrow and let me know how many of my arms and legs they will need to be happy. Thank you so much for your effort. You probably don't know how hard it is for the average guy to find a reputable shop with the skill needed to do these cars. I also talked to Johan and he told me what a car nut you are so I feel that I am in good hands. This forum is amazing!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
gaijin
Racer

Rudy,

Pleasures all mine.

I do agree. Most accomplished painters (and restorers) have a perceived aura about them. Not Keith or Johan. They're both as down to earth as you get. And I know Hank will make sure you're well taken cared of too.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Larry
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Also try " Bo Perckle" body shop...been painting ferraries for years...not going to be cheap but you won't be disappointed either...
Old 12-22-2006, 04:44 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I'm back in the need for a good painter in the Atlanta area. The people at Panoz will be painting race cars this Jan and Feb instead of doing private cars and I've been to two auto paint stores and have still had no luck. Keep me in mind if you come up with any ideas. Yasir, I have been unable to find Bo's number or shop. Merry Christmas!

Rudy
Old 12-24-2006, 08:32 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Embrey's Customotive in Peachtree City. The Owner, Jeff grew up helping his Dad restore /customize. He is Good! 678 364-1807
Old 12-25-2006, 03:21 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Slider,
Thats where I live. I'll call him tomorrow and cross not only my fingers,but my legs and *****!!!
Rudy
Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slider,
I met with Jeff today and had a good meeting. He has painted several Pcars and knows some of their trouble spots. He has agreed to start my car sometimes in Feb. I am going to remove all of the black "Things" which is about half of the car!!! He will do the windows both in and out himself. He quoted me a price of $4500. It sounds fair and I will let you all know when it is done. I like his method of allowing each layer of different spray ie; primer/filler, primer, paint and then clear to cure completely before going to the next layer. It is going to take approximately two months. I can wait for a great job. I told him that when one of these rare cars is resprayed it has to be better than the original or the value of the car will be hurt. Then you have the cost of the paint job plus the loss in value added together for a whopping loss of value. He understood exactly what I was talking about.
Thanks again for the tip Slider, (Michael). If any of you have any tips about some of the black things let me know. I am going to remove the seals on the sunroof too. Is there anything tricky abouit glueing them back?
Later Guys,

Rudy
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No tips, but take pics so you can show us the progress.

Good luck!

Jim

Quick Reply: Need an Atlanta painter