911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Heater blower fan (engine)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heater blower fan (engine)

I have had no heat in my car since an engine out procedure. I want to inpect the engine blower fan. Where the hell is it? I have an '88.

Also, is there a wire harness that may have been pinched during the engine out process that may have rendered my system inoperable?

All 3 fuses in the tail fuse box are fine w/ 12v at all posts.

Blaine
Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
mark '87 930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is indeed an 88 930, then you do not have a fan in the engine bay. It sounds like you have an issue with power to the two footwell blowers... do they turn on at all when you turn the dial to defrost? Also, do you hear the servo motor between the seats turning and pulling the lever/cables to close the two traps inder the car?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

The footwell blowers do not turn on when the auto heat is on "max". I tested both blowers with 12v and they both work.

I hear the servo motor and also saw the heater flaps open and close. I also changed the relay under the hood that is designated for these blowers and no change.

Blaine
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't the heat output maintained by RPM? If you are sitting idle, you will have very little heat. Try driving around and run the car at a higher RPM to see if it blows heat.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
mark '87 930
Instructor

If you footwelll blowers aren't working, then it's probably the little microswitch inside the center console between the seats. They are renowned to fail and supply the 12v to the fans. I have replaced mine already, and it is still flakey at times. YOu need to take the center console out and take it somewhat apart. There are several threads about this on the Pelican site.

Doug, you get more intense heat when you are revving the car, but the footwell fans should be on to supply heat even when you are idling

Try this link..
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...nd+microswitch

Last edited by mark '87 930; 11-13-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:24 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Don't forget there is also a sensor near the flaps so when there is no heat from the engine it will not blow cold air in the car. Not sure how reliable these sensors are, maybe they never go wrong.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like I am going to check the microswitch in the console next.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:59 PM
paulleslie
Advanced

If you study the manual there is a sensor in the engine bay near the heat exchangers which turns off the heater blowers (in the footwells) , when the engine is cold.When the sensor is failing you get an intermittent operation of the blowers at all different temps. The sensor is connected to the auto heat control between the seats ,it is a white wire.
If you cut it just under the central bit of the rear carpet ,just behind the seats ,the blowers should work.Mine did. good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very first thing to check is the two heat valves just in front of the rear wheels to see if they are opening. If they don't open then nothing in the heater system will operate. You can turn the center control **** all you want but if the valves don't open nada. Try this; get down real close with your ears to the center control **** and turn it to max heat. Listen for the little servo motor to operate the lever in the console. If it operates and does not open the valves under the car, then the control lever is broken inside the console. It happened to me so I got real familiar with the system from hell!
There is a heat sensor in the driver side duct just above the left heater valve, and as mentioned above, it controls all or no air coming into the heater sys. It is rivited in and must be drilled out to replace it.
If the little control rod is broken it is because one of the two plastic hiem joints on the rod ends has cracked. They crack because the heater valves are never lubricated and become extremely hard to open and close. I replaced my two joints with Holley carb linkage parts that fit and are made of brass. After you have done all of this, if the heat sensor is inop nothing will work.
The other option is to buy a used controll lever set that came on the earlier cars that had two levers that stood up just in back of the emergency brake handle.

Last edited by 911rudy; 12-17-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Heater blower fan (engine)