Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

76' 930: 400 hp. Have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76' 930: 400 hp. Have questions.

Hi, I just bought a red 930 off E-bay, with variable turbo 400 hp at 1.2 bars. Could crank it up to 2.2 bars if I wanted to melt the engine. Anyway, I'm bringing it to the shop. Please let me know if you have opinions on the following:

I am thinking about adding solid motor and tranny mounts to tighten up shifting and handling. Will this add a lot more noise to the car, and will it be annoying noise? What about vibration? I already have a tight suspension, will this make a noticable addition in handling prowess and making shifting better?

Also, engine soundproofing foam is deteriorated and falling apart. I want to just rip it out. Again, how much noise will it add to the ride, and will it be annoying noise or just nice soothing loud engine rpm sort of noise along the lines of less restrictive exhaust? Does the soundproofing serve any other purpose, like making a big difference in the level of heat in the car or anything like that?

Would like to get MSD CD ignition for better low end performance. Anyone done this? Also would like to replace points in distributor with one of those infared electronic devices, anybody tried that?

Also thinking of Cambermeister shock tower front bar, anybody tried that? I have big 23 and 30 mm torsion bars, so car is already tight.

All input on any of these issues is appreciated. Just want to learn up before going to the shop.

My car has 5:1 final gearing and SUPPOSEDLY does a 10.4 quarter mile. I almost believe it could, because it is as fast as my Kawasaki GPZ1100, I think. Very lightweight 1976 chassis. Tight suspension. 400+ h.p.

So hopefully they'll figure out why it's leaking oil! LOL.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:02 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

First, I'd back of the boost to 1.0 until you've done serious mods.

WEVO make an engine mount that's a good compromise between solid and stock. You can send off the tranny mounts for WEVO to install them if you want them too.

The new sound pad weighs almost nothing, so you might want to keep it. There's the stock vinyl type and an aluminum foil type.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Stratman
Racer

As everyone here will point out sooner or later. Do some searches. Everything you've asked about has been done. And yes do turn the boost down unless you are ready to tear something up.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

you can have wevo add the mounts to the tranny ? didnt know that. how much does it cost? and how long does it take?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:04 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not go with solid mounts. Too much noise and not worth it.
You can buy the trans mounts and do it yourself as well.

The sound proofing does some good, but I've found that unless you take the engine out, it's hard to replace. Tear out the old stuff now and replace when you pull the motor. Others will chime in that it's piece of cake to do it with the engine in I'm sure...

The stock CDI is pretty good, although I have an MSD 6AL which I like. It's not that hard to install and a search will give you directions on how to install it.

The strut tower brace I've noticed doesn't do much. I've driven my car on the track with and without it. Camberplates would do more.

I take it with that kind of power, you have a nice intercooler? They were not used back in 76.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 10-15-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:11 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I've told people recently regarding oil leaks, "If you've got a Porsche that doesn't leak, then you've got a problem!"

Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kens911
you can have wevo add the mounts to the tranny ? didnt know that. how much does it cost? and how long does it take?
I think it was a week or so, I'd give them a call. I decided to stay with the stock tranny mounts to limit the vibration to the driver, but I did put the WEVO's on the engine.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

10.4 in the 1/4mile? To get that number you need around 700-800whp. I find it hard to believe that you have a 5.1 final drive, at 65mp/h is your tach pegged?

At 400hp if thats truly what you have is equal to a mid(at best) - high 12sec. Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge on the car, how do you its making 1.2bar of boost?

I chuckle at how people throw down numbers these days...priceless.

What exactly is a "variable" turbo? And what exactly is an infrared devices that replaces the distributor?

Sounds like you need to arm yourself with some knowledge before tearing into your car and asking further questions.

I also hope that you did research before buying this eBay car and you did not believe the stats given to you by the seller of the car, as there are alot of REALLY questionable info.

Oh...and welcome to Rennlist.

Yasin
Old 10-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

DDD...could you post a link to the auction you won? We'd like to see pictures and the seller descriptions if you are willing to post the link.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

thats what I have at the moment wevo's on the engine and the stock mounts on the tranny
Old 10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
DDD
Pro

Thanks for your input. I have thoroughly researched all aspects of the 930. I just wanted some 'real time' advise. I found the advise on the solid mounts from WEVO to be useful.

If A930rocket checks back, i'd love to hear more about how well the MSD ignition works. Especially on the low end, since my car runs pretty rich down low due to the turbo being set at 1.2 bar, and needing to run rich when on the boost. And thanks for the advise about the cambermeister. I haven't read much at all about camberplates, I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

As far as Yasin asked: I've had fast cars and bikes all my life. This car redlines in fourth gear at about 145 m.p.h. It does have an Andial intercooler, racing valves, camshaft, tight suspension, lowered, ect. I do have a turbo boost gauge on the dash, and the CIS has two extra micro fuelers. The car hits redline pretty much after covering the quarter mile. The former owner was once an NHRA funny car driver, and I doubt that I will ever shift the car as fast as him, so some of that performance will be lost to me, but he has timed the car at the strip. I don't believe that it does exactly 10.4, I said 'almost' believe, since it is as quick as my bike. The engine made 360 hp. without the K27 installed or the intercooler, so 400 hp. is a conservative estimate, I don't know what it makes. It is set up to run 1.2 bars reliably.

Thanks for the input, hopefully I can get back to A930rocket about the MSD system.

Oh, yeah, the infared device to replace points in the Bosch distributor is an item in the Performance parts catalog on the same page as the MSD CD ignition. It doesn't work on 009 and 050 distibuters, if I remember correctly.

I will try to get my wife to post an E-bay link since I am hopeless on a computer. The car has almost no rust (A little surface corrosion under the car in one or two spots) and clean bodywork, and has always been garaged. It starts great, and the oil leak just appeared. I think it is the oil return pipes, because it seems to smell on the heat exchanger when I start the car. Just a guess.

Thanks for the advice, I wanted to get all my questions out there because advise from people that actually tried something can be a lot better than reading a book or talking to a mechanic that wants to make money.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you buy Eldon Slick's old 930?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM
DDD
Pro

No.

Just trying to work on an image link...

Tea tray tail was added to fit andial intercooler.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DDD; 10-15-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
DDD
Pro

Interior.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Olli
Racer

Looks great! Congratulations on the new car. Looking forward to hearing more about it as you are getting acquainted with it!

Quick Reply: 76' 930: 400 hp. Have questions.