911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Front oil cooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 PM
bjorne
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front oil cooler ?

Hi, getting ready to mount a B&B front mount oil cooler with a 935 style front valence on 84 turbo, wanted some diff. opinions on mounting the cooler ? what about space behind the cooler , like the a/c condensor, leave it or take it off? also what about any modification to the luggage area in front to create more room? any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Jason
Old 09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I'd say you need to take a look at the Turbo Oil-Cooler thread that was posted a few days ago. That should give you an idea of how your cooler should be mounted. That being directly center under the front bumper in the open space on your new air-dam.

Second the a/c condenser should be in the tail, not at the front. If you do have one at the front it's usually mounted in the wheel well just in front of the tire/wheel. This is nowhere near the oil cooler mounting point in that air dam.

Third, you don't need to modify your luggage area in any way. This should be a simple bolt on procedure. If you're cutting into the tub you're way, way off on your installation.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a front mounted A/C condensor with a fan from the factory.

You can also bolt the B&B directly to the front tub with some standoffs and it will provide sufficient cooling.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some that have cut the tub and fabbed sheetmetal to give more clearance for the air flow. Otherwise it can be a close fit at the top of the cooler to the tub, but push it out as far as you can. SmartRacing has a prefabbed cutout made in fact.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

it should be hung off the bumper not connected to the tub. that way if you ever have any impacts in the front it will move with the bumper and have less chance of damage, I recently ordered a front cooler and got the straight connetctions instead of the angled connections.The hose connections would not allow installation of the fog light on the pasenger side. so I had to send it back and get the one with the angled connections. which I am still waiting for.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

MOCAl has a nice prefabed insert for the front tub also. I talked to them in Ventura last year at the show and it is a quality piece. I have been trying to decide how to mount one also and even with the DP valance which has more room than stock the airflow will be limited. Ofcourse just having that many more feet of tubing for the oil to flow through will help but airflow at any speed other very fast will be restricted. Look at what a front engine car does with its radiator. Not only does it have a fan but a shroud also. To have only a couple of inches at the bottom and probably less than one at the top with no shroud or fan and it becomes obvious how inefficient it will be.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

With a one piece bumper air dam, you have to hang it off the tub. I wouldn't wan the weight and vibration of it hanging on the off the one piece.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with A930 that the cooler should be mounted to the tub. There's little benefit in mounting to the bumper from the standpoint of collision -- the cooler is so flimsy that if you have a frontal collision of any magnitude, it won't matter if it was mounted to the tub or not. And mounting it to the tub is more convenient from the standpoint of installation (e.g., you can remove the bumper and valence without having to dismount the cooler).

I've heard that you want to have a minimum of about 1.5 in between the cooler and tub to get enough airflow to make it worth it. Another thing to note: only about half of the cooler will "overlap" with the tub. The other half will be in a free airstream. The lower you mount it, the better this equation, but of course, then you're putting the cooler down where it's more vulnerable.

There are numerous threads over on Pelican that show how this can be done.
Here are a few:

Chuck Moreland, Part 1
Chuck Moreland, part 2
Bill Verberg
Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM
senna21
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob S
I agree with A930 that the cooler should be mounted to the tub. There's little benefit in mounting to the bumper from the standpoint of collision -- the cooler is so flimsy that if you have a frontal collision of any magnitude, it won't matter if it was mounted to the tub or not. And mounting it to the tub is more convenient from the standpoint of installation (e.g., you can remove the bumper and valence without having to dismount the cooler).

I've heard that you want to have a minimum of about 1.5 in between the cooler and tub to get enough airflow to make it worth it. Another thing to note: only about half of the cooler will "overlap" with the tub. The other half will be in a free airstream. The lower you mount it, the better this equation, but of course, then you're putting the cooler down where it's more vulnerable.

There are numerous threads over on Pelican that show how this can be done.
Here are a few:

Chuck Moreland, Part 1
Chuck Moreland, part 2
Bill Verberg
While I agree that's a great way to do it on a race car it's not necessary on a road car and it's certainly the last thing I'd do to some members cars here. Those individuals being people that have stock setup or factory flat noses. Cutting into the tub and the hood I would think send resale value down considerably.

If you don't want to mount it off the bumper or directly on the airdam make a bracket and fix that to the tub.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Senna,

I'm not endorsing cutting the tub, either. Those theads I showed may have focused on that technique, but I'm avoiding it on my own car for the reasons you mentioned. I believe that leaving the tub alone should work just fine, especially for a street car. However, to do so requires a different valence; there's no way to fit a center cooler behind a stock 930 valance. If someone is hell bent on using a stock valence with a center-mounted cooler, then it will be necessary to cut the tub (or modify the valence extensively). But there are a variety of front valences that work fine with a big center cooler that require no slicing of the tub. Bjorne mentioned using a 935 valence, which certainly isn't stock, but he should still study it carefully it to see how well it would work on a 930 with a center cooler.

Another good option is to go with "wing" coolers in the fender(s). The problem with a 930, though, is ducting enough air to those coolers and fitting them in the space. Perhaps the best cooling available is what the mid 90s RSRs used (two 964 coolers, wing mounted). But to make them fit in a 930 and to duct them correctly is a big chore. I almost did that and then gave up and went with the biggest Setrab center cooler I could find (272), a 930S front valence, and a Fluidyne wing cooler (with fan) in series, which fits in the fender location quite easily. A Carrera cooler there works too, as do other aftermarket coolers. Though I haven't put mine to the acid test yet, I expect it will provide enough cooling. If not, I'll add a third cooler in the other fender.

Here's another thread on Pelican that I started that has more discussion about front coolers and has links to other threads and photos.
More front coolers
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I was talking about the front spoiler like the factory euro slant nose 930's the factory hung them from the bumper. I was originally going to hang it from the tub but to allow more movement of the front bumper and provide more room behind the cooler I decided to mount to the bumper. Additionally the brackets interfered with the front intake for the ac condenser fan which is important here in south Florida
Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
shockm
Racer

We came up with this.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 PM
shockm
Racer

Oil cooler ducts on both sides.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
bjorne
Rennlist Member

I want to thank you guys for the great info, on my previous search here and pelican I have seen some creative ideas, I cant bring myself to cut the tub for value reasons and my basic use is I drive the car a couple times a week plus I do 5-6 PCA DE's a year so its not a race car(although the thought keeps lurking in the back of my head), after fitting the cooler and valence just to see which has the more room, it appears as if mounting the cooler with brackets to the valence instead of tub gains the most room , I would reinforce the valence top and bottom to become a bit sturdier either way, however not sure which way to go from a safety standpoint or off course excursion,
anyway I appreciate everyones help
Jason
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Cutting the tub would be extreme. I haven't cut mine (but have thought about it, as it would help to blow air over the A/C condensor as well if you duct it). As mentioned, 3/4 of the cooler will hang down below the tub in the air stream. Just push it as close as you can to the air dam. It only takes two small "L" brackets at the to to install.

I just bought another Carrera oil cooler that I'll install on the driver side. Now I'll have a very large air dam cooler and two Carrera fender oil coolers with fans to keep my new motor in check. I also have a 934 style air dam with large side openings that will duct air to the Carrera oil coolers.

Quick Reply: Front oil cooler ?