911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

AC overhual time

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:00 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC overhual time

After going all summer long without it I've decided it's time. So the question is should I stick with the OEM Nippen Denso compressor or go with something else like the Sanden 507 or the Kuehl? My plan is to replace the evaporator, expansion valve and dryer also. Both Griffiths and Renn Aire have kits and I'm leaning toward Renn Aire since they are close to me. Suggestions?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:25 PM
DRV2FST
Instructor

I bought the Renn Aire system. I forgot the guys name but he was VERY nice and easy to work with. I have not installed mine (much engine work) even thought I bought it over 6 months ago but there are plenty of people who have posted their results with this system and others. Do a search on this board and pelican parts and you will find many happy customers of both companies.

Personally, I don't understand why Kuel puts their new condensers in the drivers rear fender. That is where the turbo is on our cars is is the hottest place possible. I guess the wheelwell gets a lot of very turbulent airflow. Anyway, I am not an expert and I am sure they know better.

Kuel seems to be more active on the boards (like this one).

Is it possible to move airconditioning from a 964/965 to the 930? I guess we would have to lose or relocate the washer fluid container. My 965 has wonderful AC. I would love to find a ssytem off one of those and put it on my 930. Is that possible?

Sorry if this is a hijack but it is on topic of AC Overhaul.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

I take it you opted to go with the Sanden 507? Renn Aire recommends it's plus it's more cost effective.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I upgraded my '89 930 A/C but reused the compressor as it was working fine. I got fantastic results and am very pleased. My car cools as well as any car out there, even in our Dallas 105+ degrees. I used Retroair.com as he is located near me. Ron at Rennaire is a nice guy with excellent products and Charlie Griffiths has been around a long time with high quality stuff too. Having Retroair close by made it easy for me to see the products and meet the man up front and asking questions in person was convenient.

I did a write up on my install here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/267009-a-c-upgrade-project-completed-it-works-long-w-pics.html

Maybe it will help you. I found by upgrading the hoses, evaporator and condenser the effiiciency of the system was significantly enhanced. The compressor was fine. Each vendor has a slightly different approach to upgrading your A/C. I suggest you check them all out and go with what feels best to you. In addition to his proximity to me, I was very happy with Retroair's approach and products.

Beautiful color 930 by the way! Is that Meteor Gray? Or is it silver and the avatar just looks a little dark?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:57 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

John,
Thats a real informative write up and it makes me think that maybe I should just keep my stock compressor and just upgrade the rest. I'd need to get the compressor checked but I could get that done locally.

Thanks for the color plug...it's meteor metallic or so I've been told
Old 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jim,
I converted mine from R-12 to 134 about 3-months ago. Kept the Nipondenso rotary compressor. Changed out everything, and I mean everything else. Car is much better now in Florida's 90+ heat and almost equal humidity, even though its Black on Black and gets super hot. I think the only additional improvement I could make is to add an additional condenser, or add a fan to the current condenser in the whale-tail. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fan does help. I added a Mr. Gasket 9 inch fan to my condenser in the engine compartment and powered it from the compressor clutch wire through a relay. It comes on whenever the clutch is on. It helps a lot in traffic when rpms are low. I also made it a suck rather than a blow as some have suggested because the air comming into the engine is a whole lot cooler than the air in the engine bay. I also replaced everything except the compressor and think that is the way to go.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
jwl
Rennlist Member

I've opted to go with the Renn Aire system II kit which inclucdes the Sanden 507 compressor, evporator/expansion valve, procooler reciver/dryer, hoses, O-rings, insulation and the works. I called Ron at Renn Aire Sunday afternoon and met him up with him at his shop yesterday morroning and picked up the parts..thats what I calll service!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

911rudy,
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do the same to mine. I was planning on having it "suck" too as that is the normal airflow path into the engine compartment. It sure couldn't hurt getting additional air into that area either.

Jim P.

Quick Reply: AC overhual time