911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B&B Headers Glowing Red?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Tripster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B Headers Glowing Red?

I have been doing some fine tuning on the car since a few up grades (Cams & Headers) and tonight I noticed after a run down the road, before I pulled back into my shop (dark outside) I had a glow under the car, I looked and seen the new B&B Headers was glowing red, is this normal? When I say Red, it was like metal that was heated with a torch. New to the headers, need some schooling.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Yes, that is normal. Turbos generate tons of heat.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does that as well. If you let the car idle for about a minute, you'll see the header return to normal. This is even if I cruise home and don't use boost for about 5 miles. If you really want to see something, look at the turbo itself. It should also be glowing.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Tripster
Instructor

Thanks guys, Actually I was just cruising the local streets and never got on boost. I knew it generated tons of heat, but that seemed hotter that I would have thought.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:42 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for your reading pleasure (some cool pictures too):
The case of the red-hot glowing header pipes...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Tripster
Instructor

Thanks sand-man,
Actually I have to re-adjust the timing and the CO on the car. I had the CO set @ 2.8 and the timing @5 degree BTDC before taking the car apart for the Mods. I thought the shorter headers would change the CO and the new Cams MIGHT change the timing, looks like it did.I plan to tonight, get this thing dialed in and take to the roads to see what I have got. Ive got a few buds that need some azz whippings that are way long over due,,,,,,,,.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

5 degrees BTDC? Read the sticker in your engine compartment, the ignition timing should be something like 26 degrees BTDC +- 2 degrees at 4000rpm for USA cars.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Tripster
Instructor

Actually the timing @ 4000 rpm is around 27-28 / and @ 900 rpm is 5 degree BTDC. Or I should say before the mods that is where it was. Who knows, maybe right now it is left field. I will treek on it tonight
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

If your timing is too retarded it will cause glowing headers. I know because when my EFI was first installed with engine rebuild I thought it would be safer to run it richer and with less advance. My headers would glow within 5 mins of very relaxed driving.

After the timing was adjusted to more advance, the glowing problem went away, even with leaner mix. Car runs at 14.7 AFR at idle and max richness of 11.5 at full tilt - no glowing headers once advance was set right (in the 30s BTDC with absolutely no pinging)

My tuner eventually told me that running too much retard will cause the flame from the combustion chamber to enter the headers and continue burning since combustion is not complete but exhaust ports have opened
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Good post Pzull, looks like I'll be checking my timing as well. I'll put a little advance in it and see. I'm currently at 26 (per spec). Maybe play with 28 and see.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NSXTC
Good post Pzull, looks like I'll be checking my timing as well. I'll put a little advance in it and see. I'm currently at 26 (per spec). Maybe play with 28 and see.
Are you able to increase advance only in lower rev range? Too much advance, especially in high rpm boost range will blow your engine if you are not careful. When my tuner tuned the timing, he had a knock sensor (microphone) placed on the engine and connected to HKS device (actually an audio amp) to which was connected a headphone to listen to the engine for pinging while increasing the timing. Without this it is unlikely you will be able to hear pinging in the early stages. Be very careful
Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pzull
If your timing is too retarded it will cause glowing headers. I know because when my EFI was first installed with engine rebuild I thought it would be safer to run it richer and with less advance. My headers would glow within 5 mins of very relaxed driving.

After the timing was adjusted to more advance, the glowing problem went away, even with leaner mix. Car runs at 14.7 AFR at idle and max richness of 11.5 at full tilt - no glowing headers once advance was set right (in the 30s BTDC with absolutely no pinging)

My tuner eventually told me that running too much retard will cause the flame from the combustion chamber to enter the headers and continue burning since combustion is not complete but exhaust ports have opened
Exactly right. I just went through this with my tuning. Even with 1575 EGT (12.8:1 AFR) at 1 bar, the pipes did not turn red in a normally lit room. However, when I had unusual low timing (20 degrees), they turned orange immediately well below one bar. At cruise, 14:1 AFR, 34 degrees timing, my EGT's are just above 1100 and no glowing. Pretty good proof showing AFR is not the holy grail in tuning a turbo motor, and does not do a good job of cooling the motor to avoid detonation - its a combination of timing (first) and then AFR.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Tripster
Instructor

Here is what I have, Just set the CO @ 2.8% on idel, I do not have any other way of checking it. The timing is 28 @ 4000 and or 5 BTDC. Car feels great, only .8 Bar. But these pipes get orange as hell and pretty quick, Layed back driving no playing.
What do you guys think, I had planned to take the car this Saturday Morning for Dyno session.
Now keep in mind this is a very mild motor.
K27 7006
SC330 Cams
Ported Heads
Euro Fuel head and Injectors
B&B Headers---Nice and ORANGE
Magnaflow Duel outlet Muffler

Should I stay away from the dyno this weekend?
If it does not go 390 HP to the Crank I will feel bad no matter what color Headers I have.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

While you're at it, don't park on a pile of leaves or on tall grass...

Did it once accidentally...and had to stomp out a fire...after I moved the car after I realized that I just rolled over a pile of leaves while parking my car.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by DonE
its a combination of timing (first) and then AFR.
So if I play with the timing, will it change my AFR? My LMA-3 has a built in EGT sensor, so maybe I'll hook that up and compare my temps with yours.

My 87 California spec says 26 @ 4000. I'll try 28 and see what the sensors say.

Quick Reply: B&B Headers Glowing Red?