911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 DIED!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 DIED!!!???

A week ago I bought an 87 930 with the mods listed below. I have put about 600 miles on it and it runs great...but...

The first day I had it after running it for a couple of hours it would not restart. It cranked fine, I thought I smelled fuel but it wouldn't fire up. I checking the wires and eventually it started. I chalked it up to maybe me pumping the pedal after the initial try and flooding it or a loose wire. I found a red wire that seemed to have become seperated froma connection where it looks to be attached to a overboost sensor. There is also a yellow wire thta is stilkl attahed in that area. You can see where the red was "tacked" into to it previously. PO was called and he had no idea. I electric taped the red wire and drove for the next few days without incident.

Last night I was cruising along in 2nd at about a constant 300-3500 rpm's trying to dodge deer on my road when I heard a"clunk" the car bucked and then died.

I have tried starting several times last night and this afternoon with no luck. Where should I start????????? I bought a wire brush and plan on changing fuses and cleaning contacts. I may also try to "rerigging that red wire. It is located just south of the intercoolers tube on the far drivers side rear of the car so it's hard to reach or photo with the intercooler installed. How hard is the intercooler to remove???

Thanks in advance.

87 930 Guards Red / K27 7200 / Tial 46mm WG / 1 Bar Spring / B&B SS Headers and Exhaust
Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Here is the sender and both wires.
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM
BReyes
Racer

This car requires service. They (PO) seem to have given her plenty of attention. The checking the connections and fuses is important. Really have to check eveything and your level of detail is what is required. I would re-re-check everything. Go into their and bag/label (take pics) everything. It could be as simple as a fuel pump fuse difficult to tell it is blown to as bad as your ecu went out.

Good luck! You should have her fixed in no time. And post some pics when shes trim and proper.

Regards,
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
AZ930
Instructor

Originally Posted by BReyes
This car requires service. They (PO) seem to have given her plenty of attention. The checking the connections and fuses is important. Really have to check eveything and your level of detail is what is required. I would re-re-check everything. Go into their and bag/label (take pics) everything. It could be as simple as a fuel pump fuse difficult to tell it is blown to as bad as your ecu went out.

Good luck! You should have her fixed in no time. And post some pics when shes trim and proper.

Regards,
you really think his ECU went out??????
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a temperature sensor off the left timing chain cover. Part number 930 617 118 00. Looks like yours has fallen apart. You need that working to help it get started.

With the ignition on, do you hear a whine from the CDI box?

You also need to check all your wires, hoses and vacuum lines. Give the car a tune up while you are checking every thing... Cap, rotor, plugs, wires (Your plug wires look like originals. They probably need replacing), etc.

Jump the yellow relay in the engine compartment. Jump the fuel pump relays in the front trunk. Do you hear the fuel pumps running? With the ignition on, push down on the air metering plate, do you hear the fuel pumps kick on?

Is the ECU box light flashing a code....
Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Haven't had the car long enough to really tell if it sounds exactly like it did before..but all the sounds seem consistent, I believe I hear the pumps. Iit seems to sound fine right up to the part where it doesn't fire. I will check everything, replace anything minor that looks worn and see.

The fuse in the rear looked good with the exception of a big round black relay marked 21131-12volt 911.615.109.01 for the lights and horn. I removed and cleaned the other fuses and contacts. Everything up front in the "trunk" looked very good so I didn't touch much.

I will try and pickup/order this relay and the thermo time switch tomorrow any idea what they run? Porsche dealer the only option for the Thermo time switch ??? I will see if I can find it online.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

It's the thermo time switch. Try the part number I gave you. You can always try to jump the two wires to the switch to start it as well.

Replace your two fuel pump relays as well (the red ones).

You really need to pull and check/replace all your fuses in the front fuse box. They may look good, but be bad. Use a test light as well to check for power.

The fuses in back don't do anything to help it start or run. Just that one yellow square relay does.

The pumps won't run unless the engine is running.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Here's apick...at least it still look purty
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2006, 01:32 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, that tells the cold start injector to fire and how long. It will have a very hard time starting without it connected. You will need to pull the boost hose to get to it.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:36 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

I ordered the Thermo Time switch Bosch part online for $72 vs. the $280 Porsche wanted...we will see if that's it. Anyway I needed it so no loss if it doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

$280! That must be the gold plated version...

Where did you get the part online?

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
I ordered the Thermo Time switch Bosch part online for $72 vs. the $280 Porsche wanted...we will see if that's it. Anyway I needed it so no loss if it doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

HERE: Thermo Time Switch

AutoPartsWarehouse.com , I chose to have it rushed...it should be here by Friday at the latest. Shipping was free for 5-7 days , but even with overnight shipping it was still only $97.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Looks like the right one.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

The part arrived today, I installed it and no help. I checked all the other wires and fuses, I smell fuel and hear the pumps....cranks but no fire.

I am going to talk to a friend who is more familiar with these cars, if that fails I think I may need professional help.

Last edited by F350Lawman; 07-20-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the driver's side in the engine compartment you should be able to locate the CDI box. On the bottom of this box, there is a six wire plug (well my 1987 has a six wire plug others may vary) that connects to the bottom. There's usually a rubber boot over the plug. Check to be sure that this plug is firmly connected to the CDI box...mine came loose once and the car died. Also, is your primary dizzy coil wire (in the center of the dizzy) well connected to both the dizzy and the coil?

It sounds like you aren't getting spark. Can you connect a timing light (strobe) to number one plug wire and see if it flashes when the key is turned over?

Also, in the engine compartment there is another fuse box - where the yellow over-boost relay is located. Check to see of the large wiring harness that powers this fuse panel is firmly seated.

Last edited by sand_man; 07-21-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 930 DIED!!!???