Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1986 930 front rotor replacement HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 AM
hailwood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 930 front rotor replacement HELP!!

I am swapping out front rotors on my 86 930. calipers are off, but i am not sure how to get the hubs off. there is a small semi round cap in the center of the hub with a threaded hole (only 3/8" deep) in the center of this cap. i assume it is for some type of puller? is that correct? then there will probably be a castle nut/ pin under that cap.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. i have looked on the web but have not found anything specific about this exact scenario.

Thanks,

Leslie
Old 05-12-2006, 09:40 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Leslie:

I can't remember the size of the bolt that I used on mine, but basically you find a bolt, screw it into the bolt hole in the grease cap, and what I did was hook the bolt with a pair of channel lock pliers and tap the channel locks with a hammer, away from the car, and it would pull it out.

Once you get it off, you will have to turn the hub so that you can access a 6mm allen bolt that holds the nut onto the spindle.

Loosen it, spin the nut off, and start slipping the hub off. WHen you start to pull the hub off there will be a thrust washer and the outer bearing that will come out, catch those with a paper towel.

At this point you are holding the hub and rotor in your hands, and if you flip it upside down, you'll see about 8 13mm nuts that hold the rotor to the hub.

When putting the new rotors on, clean up those bolts pretty well, or get new ones, and apply BLUE (not red) loctite on the 8 bolts. Torque the bolts to 18 ft/lbs in a cross-pattern.

Clean off spindle, apply fresh grease, this is also a good time to repack the hub with grease or change the bearings if needed.

Put hub/rotor assembly back on spindle, insert outer bearing, thrust washer, and nut, and adjust your wheel bearing play, eventually locking the nut down with the 6mm allen wrench.

Spin the rotor, make sure its free, adjust if needed.

Tap the grease cap back into place.

Re-attach caliper, insert brake pads.

Put the wheel back on.

Don't forget to get in the car and pump the brake pedal a few times before trying to drive the car.

You are rolling again.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
hailwood
Instructor

thanks for the quick response. i screwed a bolt in there and put some vice grips on the bolt and hammered on those. the thing did not want to budge, so i figured that i was on the right track.

the allen bolt is a great tip, i had a feeling there was some good reason thoses crafty germans had two holes in the hub that seemed to lead to nowhere!

it is the first time apart so i figured better safe that sorry, especially in NH where it could take years for parts to arrive.

Thanks.

Leslie
Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I got my 1983 930, it had the grease caps with the "nut" made into them. What I ended up having to do was get a threaded stud that would fit the hole, and I got a steel plate that sat on top of the wheel studs. Then I would run a nut down onto the plate, and tighten it, and the stud would pull the grease cap out. That's how tight they were in there. I couldn't hammer them out at all, had to take this approach. After I took them out though, from then on, I was able to tape them out by grabbing the bolt with the pliers and hammering the pliers, and they'd tap right out.

Brian
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what Brian's talking about...
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
hailwood
Instructor

thanks a lot, i really appreciate the help. that is very similar design theory to the Ducati tool for pulling the alternator cover. looks like i will be making some special tools tonight.

i cant believe how tight they are in there, but i am glad to hear that i am not the only one with ones that would not budge using normal methods.

thanks a million, i am really impressed with the speed and clarity of the feedback!!!

hopefully i will be able to help someone with car stuff oneday, but right now bike only help from me if you ever need any.

Leslie
Old 05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

We kinda like full cockpits with cages around here...

Brian
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Brian,

How did you come up with the same idea I did?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Because you are my MENTOR!!!!

For the record everyone, when I first got my 930, I couldn't even figure out the brake pad butterfly clip. A930Rocket guided me through that, and many other questions!

And now, 4-5 years later, I've built my own engine, and touched almost every nut and bolt there is to touch on these things!

A930Rocket is the MAN though! MENTOR EXTRAORDINAIRE!

Brian
Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

And all I still know to do it that DAMN butterfly clip on the brake caliper.......
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 AM
hailwood
Instructor

so i made the special tool, used penetrating lube, heat and burte force. the car KICKED MY ***!!!! i guess it has to go to a pro and i will let them deal with it. that is the problem with alumnium hubs and steel caps, they weld themselves together after 20 years.

thanks for all the help.

Leslie
Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

You really have to hold the bolt and turn that nut hard. It will give with a loud pop. Onec it frees up, you'll be good to go in the future.

Do you hve it set up like in the picture?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:57 AM
hailwood
Instructor

I had made a tool to do exactly what was pictured and the caps would not budge. a Porsche mechanic in Framingham (Rene at Rensport) suggested a 5lb slide hammer for automotive body work.

Bang, Bang, Bang those caps popped right out. ten minutes to do what i could not in 5 hours.

$26 bucks for the slide hammer, weld on the appropriate bolt and there you go.

I also have to give HUGE props to Jimmy Foshay at Jack Daniels Porsche in Fair Lawn NJ. I called for new caliper bolts and they were on my desk the next morning. This is not so amazing by itself, but he did not charge me for the bolts or the shipping. He happens to be a Ducati guy and now i definitly owe him big time.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Glad it worked out.

I switched to a slide hammer version as well. My weight must be too small, as I really have to pound on it to get the cap off.

Quick Reply: 1986 930 front rotor replacement HELP!!