Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930T vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 AM
pete77930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont compare NSX's or Corvettes, etc to porsches. We're all here because we chose a Porsche for its pedigree, heritage, class, a true purebread sports car that has a soul, it speaks to you, through its feel, its noises, its performance. everything that the epitome of a Porsche is. and at the end of the day, no matter if we get beat by some big block chevy or a jap car, we're still driving a Porsche, one of the best, most sought after cars ever produced. and the NSX and corvette owners are driving glorified hondas and chevys.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
Thats interesting because every race of those Ive ever seen, A jap car has never won.
well, who knows? maybe, maybe not. the conventional wisdom on the racing video sites is that they are staged, but....

You could see how they would put the faster drivers in the slower cars to make the races more interesting.

In a real race, there's just no way a 270hp NSX is going to be anywhere near a 400hp 996TT. Not to mention the 996TT has a braking advantage too with the rear weight bias. Sometimes it's fun to pull for the underdog, but that's just not a fair fight.

-dc
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

JBL930, sent you an email last night, hope you got it, if not let me know. The beer mountains are most impressive. I think we can find a proper team to represent the ALMS. We can probably find enough Euro visitors to get a properly staffed ELMS team. We can make it a competition. Thank gawd the race is on a Saturday. Gives us Saturday night and Sunday morning to sober up before the drive back home!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Gaijin, are you working the Petitie LeMans corral this year too? We'll have to get hooked up at Road Atlanta.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Miguel
Pro

Pete77930 stated, in precise and clear terms, the concept of "porschness"...no more words are needed.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by srf506
JBL930, sent you an email last night, hope you got it, if not let me know. The beer mountains are most impressive. I think we can find a proper team to represent the ALMS. We can probably find enough Euro visitors to get a properly staffed ELMS team. We can make it a competition. Thank gawd the race is on a Saturday. Gives us Saturday night and Sunday morning to sober up before the drive back home!

I sent one back this morning, something is wrong with my e-mail on the Mac at home so i had to wait until i got into the office this morning. I'm seeing some of the lads this weekend so i'll see who's up for it and get back to you, i'm keen so even if they have other plans i'll do my best to make it. I know this one is probably an obvious NO but i'll ask anyway, is it purely a lads trip? I'm just thinking if the lads can't make it i could bring the girlfriend, don't worry she's 26 and pleasant on the eye
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

You guys really know how to take a topic and twist it around

Christian
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Sorry Christian, That's why I was trying to confirm email was received. Didn't mean to steal your thread. We're taking this off-line.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Sorry mate!!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Derick Cooper
Those races are staged. They've got a bunch of different ones with different types of cars, Evo VII's, BMW M3s, etc. Somehow, the japanese cars have never been beat....

I've driven several NSX's and they are wonderful cars, but they are down on horsepower a lot to everything built since 1993...

-dc
Actually, the 996TT won the 4 lap race in the Japanese BMI video "996 Turbo - The King". No, the NSX or the 360 weren't any match for it.

The NSX was a strange case. The first year they came out I thought it really COULD be a Japanese Ferrari. Then Honda literally did NOTHING for it over a 10 year period, while the other sportscars of the mid 90s either improved (Corvette C5, Porsche 993 & 996, 355, Viper) or disappeared (Supra, 300 ZX, RX7, 3000 GT).
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pete77930
dont compare NSX's or Corvettes, etc to porsches. We're all here because we chose a Porsche for its pedigree, heritage, class, a true purebread sports car that has a soul, it speaks to you, through its feel, its noises, its performance. everything that the epitome of a Porsche is. and at the end of the day, no matter if we get beat by some big block chevy or a jap car, we're still driving a Porsche, one of the best, most sought after cars ever produced. and the NSX and corvette owners are driving glorified hondas and chevys.
WAY too harsh, those are two fine cars with many of the elements (especially the Corvette) you mention. All you have to do is substitute the words Ferrari, Porsche, and glorified VW to get the same BS Fcar guys spew out.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Whos to say the NSX had a terrible driver then. The case was made earlier that all the bad drivers got the fast cars. Seems to me the same argument cold be made that someone gave the best driver the 996TT.

On a road course I just have a hard time believing the NSX would get buttslapped. Each newer Porsche has gotten more bloated than the next, the rear bias remains a handful, and all the rest. Torque and horsepower are great, but the widdy biddy Lotus Elise with a 170hp Toyota engine in it was hanging square with 360 Modenas on a road course in a not too long ago Road & Track or Car and Driver article on cars meant for the track. In fact, cornering speeds and Gs were higher in the Elise than any other car they tested. All it lacked was straight line speed and the torque to exit the corner to keep up with Viper GTSs and Porsches.

Also depends on which NSX we might be comparing. A 996TT is the latest and greatest (pretty much) from Porsche. Take a 964TT against a 91 NSX and perhaps the fight isnt even close.

I guess my point is, the comparison can go both ways. Sure, you can mod out 930 or 996 to beat any car on the track you want. Same goes for an NSX. Both are more than capable platforms to throw $30 grand into and mop the floor with just about every car you'd ever cross paths with. There's nothing inherently proprietary in a Porsche that makes it go fast or handle well. Everybody is playing by the same rules. Mass, friction, balance, aerodynamics, horsepower, torque, gearing, suspension on and on. You could do the same with an RX7 R2 and yield much of the same results.

All this said, would I trade my Porsches? Nah. But I wouldnt ever presume just because my car is from Stuttgart that it is inherently superior. Some of the dumbest, most maniacal design gaffs that have ever been put on a production automobile have come from Porsche. Any car company that has to make extra keyholes on fenders and inside DOOR JAMS in order to activate a security system isnt exactly corning the market on Einsteinium.

Hell I cant even see 1/2 the switches on my dashboard because they are under the dash. Might not mean anything, but if you half-*** the small details, who's to say you dont half-*** the big ones.

They are awesome cars. I love them. But they are far from the only ones.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Getting back to the Japanese videos, I have seen the Japanese videos where say 6 cars race each other, it really is a great idea to see how they compare. All the drivers seem equal to me, they get overtaken because the car can't handle or produce the speed.

Guess which car won in a race I watched by these guys, the 997 S or the 996 turbo ?

Typical, I can't find the video on my pc, but I am sure the 997 beat it.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

What does the NSX or any car have to do with this thread fellas. Jeez, 930 vs 996TT!!!!!!!!!!!

Christian
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I don't think I will ever sell my 930, I’m not sure I will be happy living with 500bhp though either, I know it's probably more power than I will ever have the skill to use to it's potential but for instance, on the way down to le mans last year, me in the 930 and my mate in his Tuscan, everyone is driving like maniacs it's just the way it goes, and we are leapfrogging traffic driving almost flat out everywhere basically at the limit, then a Zonda and a Maclaren F1 pass us into a corner like we are stood still, I’m not sure where I’m going with this but if there is more power to have and I can possibly afford it then, (like when I was three year old), I WANT it. Surely an 800bhp 996TT would be able to mix it with those boys and for a lot less money! What kind of reliable BHP can you get out of a 993TT without spending more than $70k on Mods

No one answered this question??

Quick Reply: 930T vs 996TT