Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930T vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006 | 12:05 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

There's a video floating around on google or youtube from Japan of a Murcielago, Modena, 996TT, NSX, and couple other cars going head to head on a track. All are completely stock.

In no uncertain terms the NSX was causing serious problems for everyone. And I doubt any of the straights were up to 150mph. And doing it with 3/5 the horsepower.

Ive driven an NSX and they are incredible cars. Cant think of any car remotely in the same performance ballpark that has the reliability, dealer network, and ease of service. A car that can be driven without worrying about blowing thousands each year on repairs. A few people on the NSX board have twin turbo NSXs putting down over 500 ponies. I would hate to pick on those guys. But I wouldnt pick on a kid in a plain Jane looking Civic either. He might be packing 600 horses and a better suspension setup than my 930.

Point is, you never know what someone has under the hood. You never know how good of a driver they are. What the badge says ultimately means nothing if all you want is to brag about a stopwatch timing. The stopwatch doesnt care about prancing horses or crests of Stuttgart. No matter how fast you think your car is, someone has something faster.

So whats the point of proving manhood. If someone wants to race me or "get it on", in my opinion I have already won. They are threatened by my car or looking for my approval. Their own peace of mind is not good enough. I drive a Porsche, not because it may or may not go faster than the neighbor, but because I enjoy the cars. I'll stretch its legs on my own terms, not some ******'s.
Old 04-25-2006 | 12:08 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
It must be the drivers of those NSXs, because I've smoked everyone of them at the track.
Its always going to come down to the driver unless you have two identical drivers in disproportionately matched cars. I had an NSX prior to my 930 and you wouldn't believe how sneaky fast those cars can be. I could out drive cars with 100+ more horespower at the track. Of course differences in drivers likely made a difference as well.
Old 04-25-2006 | 01:55 AM
Bruce M.
Instructor

The 930 rules. But I've driven an NSX too, and those cars are very, very slick. Wonderful balance, gorgeous shifter, excellent brakes. The only thing they need is more torque. I'd love to drive a twin turboed NSX, that's for sure.

You can basically will an NSX around a turn at speed. The 930 requires a lot more thought and is a lot less forgiving of corrections, etc.
Old 04-25-2006 | 04:06 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by srf506
JBL930, I know what you mean about LeMans. I've never been fortunate enough to drive over after the ferry from England, but Friday night on the Mulsanne is a definite trip. We flew into DeGaulle. My rental was a Peugot turbo diesel (don't remember the number). My mates and I were running up and down Mulsanne through the Mulsanne corner into Arnage as fast as that slug would pedal in a light misting rain. We had all kinds of exotics blowing by us like we were backing up! People on both sides of the road cheering as we went by. What a party! It was a definite memory I'll never forget. On Sunday after the race I let all of my passengers have at least one go up and back on it. I was amazed at how fast that road went from race track back to normal roadway. As I was "screaming" through there I thought of Ickxx, Wolleck, Elford, Hobbs, Stuck and all of the rest of those guys at 220+ mph with no chicane, flat bottoms on the cars and that hump being about twice as high as it is now. It was bloody great fun! Anyone who hasn't gone needs to. Next time I'm getting a 911.

It's Certainly an experience! Maybe the next time you come over you should fly to Heathrow, rent a porker, then book the ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre or Cairns for the Thursday evening and drive down with the brits, we always put up a decent camp site too, Generator, TV, fridge, small marquee with lighting, waste height pool, pub benches etc, this year is also the world cup year which always proves to be a little bit special as there is usually an England game before the start on Saturday. It's difficult to beat the atmosphere of Le Mans, Friday is carnage, whether you’re in Arnage village or down the mulsanne, Indianapolis, Porsche curves or at the roundabout over at houx annexe, everyone is just having a riot. I'll probably still be going every year when I’m 90!!
Old 04-25-2006 | 10:59 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

JBL930, its a date. I'm making it a goal to go to LeMans every other year now. I'll get in touch with you about next year. Too late to make the arrangements this year with the race less than a month away. My Passport expired last year and it just left to get renewed. In 2004 we stayed with a French family in their home in Mulsanne Village. They were so hospitable and we had a great time. We saw all of you Brits in your tidy camps with huge beer bottle walls (a tradition we're attempting to start at Sebring and Petite LeMans in Atlanta). We were laughing about how it reminded us of Sebring...NOT;-). Sebring's Green Park camping area is a must see. Its rowdy, unkempt and dusty. If you ever get a chance to come over here for the 12 Hours let me know. I'll be glad to host you.
Old 04-25-2006 | 11:21 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You guys are picking on the wrong 996TTs
Stephen, where are the right ones hiding?

Those couple of 10s 996 waterpumpers out there cost more to build than three 9second 930s lined up
Old 04-25-2006 | 02:38 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

srf506, Sounds like an offer i can't refuse, am i correct that it's March next year? I can instruct on the best methods for building a show stopping beer mountain, the first thing of course is to drink A LOT of beer! Have a look on
http://www.beermountain.com/Mountain_Building.htm
I'll have to see what kind of rental i can get my hands on, would be nice to see what those Z06's are like. If you do decide to hop on a plane for this years event we have plenty of space for an extra tent and you can get entrance tickets on the gate.

Last edited by JBL930; 04-25-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2006 | 04:31 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by Jean
Stephen, where are the right ones hiding?

Those couple of 10s 996 waterpumpers out there cost more to build than three 9second 930s lined up

Jean
How is that MONSTER of yours holding up??
Old 04-25-2006 | 04:42 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JBL930
Jean
How is that MONSTER of yours holding up??
Insane! Trying to get some darn grip in 4th.with 315 slicks! Absolutely love it.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2006 | 05:02 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Jean, Do you make it to Le Mans or are you busy getting room service at the Burj Al Arab????
Old 04-25-2006 | 06:08 PM
gaijin
Racer

Originally Posted by JBL930
am i correct that it's March next year? .
Third Saturday in March. Or 325 days to go!
Old 04-25-2006 | 10:47 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark
I call BS on this one. NSX is underpowered EVERYWHERE.

I get into street races with my 996TT from time to time, but I'd never go at it with another Porsche........the old kissing your sister bit

I agree. Having owned a mildly modified NSX, they are no match for turbos. You have to keep the revs up over 7K to get anything out of it. Now if the race included chicanes and esses, then the NSX will have advantage. Straight...no way.

My Previous NSX
Old 04-26-2006 | 01:35 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UDPride
There's a video floating around on google or youtube from Japan of a Murcielago, Modena, 996TT, NSX, and couple other cars going head to head on a track. All are completely stock.
Those races are staged. They've got a bunch of different ones with different types of cars, Evo VII's, BMW M3s, etc. Somehow, the japanese cars have never been beat....

I've driven several NSX's and they are wonderful cars, but they are down on horsepower a lot to everything built since 1993...

-dc
Old 04-26-2006 | 02:36 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Derick Cooper
Those races are staged. They've got a bunch of different ones with different types of cars, Evo VII's, BMW M3s, etc. Somehow, the japanese cars have never been beat....

I've driven several NSX's and they are wonderful cars, but they are down on horsepower a lot to everything built since 1993...

-dc
Thats interesting because every race of those Ive ever seen, A jap car has never won.
Old 04-26-2006 | 02:39 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NSXTC
I agree. Having owned a mildly modified NSX, they are no match for turbos. You have to keep the revs up over 7K to get anything out of it. Now if the race included chicanes and esses, then the NSX will have advantage. Straight...no way.

My Previous NSX
One of nicest looking NSXs Ive ever seen. Nice job.

Quick Reply: 930T vs 996TT