911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

FYI: Ruf BTR For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default FYI: Ruf BTR For Sale

A good friend of mine has an exception Ruf for sale in the Chicago area. Personally I drive a nicely built 930 and compared to this car... well it can be depressing.

I don't have anything to gain from the sale of this car but can speak to its condition and performance and know that at $55k it really is a great buy (yet still out of my price range).

This car is one of the few Authentic RUF BTRs (Group B Turbo RUF) manufactured by RUF in 1986 specifically for the US market. This is not a "grey market" car or a RUF conversion as most people presume, and documentation is available to prove it.

The car was originally purchased new from Exclusive Motorcars (one of a handful of North American authorized RUF distributors) on May 27th of 1987 for $111,000.00.

The engine was entirely rebuilt in late 1987 as the rings needed replacement, so everything was checked. The block, crank and rods were Magnafluxed, and Raceware rod and engine case bolts were used. New crank bearings and rod bearings were also installed, as well as new endless timing chains and all other wear items.

At approximately 55k miles, new 3.4L Mahle pistons and cylinders (the old ones were not changed in the first rebuild) were installed. At the same time new cams from Web Cams in CA were installed with grind #40 (964) and Timing set at 1.25.

The Ruf BTR offers truly staggering performance straight from Ruf. The engine work pushes the envelope even further and the car in its current form approaches 450hp at 1.0 bar of boost. There have also been a host of other improvements, of which only some are highlighted below:

Ruf BTR Engine:
• 3.4 Liter Mahle pistons and cylinders
• Twin-plug electromotive (installed at Exclusive Motorcars)
• K29 trubo with Ruf cockpit adjustable boost
• Ruf exhaust
• Euro injectors
• 964 cams
• Ny-resist rings
• Ported heads & phoenolic intakes

Transmission: Ruf BTRs originally came with Ruf’s proprietary 5-speed gearbox, the first to be put in a 930. While a vast improvement over the factory 4-speed, they did suffer from some problems and when the factory came out with it G50/50 5-speed for the 930 in 1989 it was considered a vastly superior transmission. This BTR was upgraded to the factory G50/50 in 1989 at Exclusive Motorcars.

Suspension:

• Coil over kit installed on all four corners (Exclusive Motorcars)
• Larger diameter front and rear sway bars
• Front urethane bushings

Brakes: This car was originally equipped with the optional Ruf CTR 330 Brake System which was originally designed for the legendary 211 MPH Ruf “Yellow Bird” car. This system also featured a cockpit-adjustable brake bias valve. Further this BTR has:

• Front - 13” Alcon rotors with Porsche/Brembo “Big Red” calipers
• Rear - 13” Coleman rotors with Ruf offset hats and Porsche 928S4 black calipers
• Stainless steel brake lines.

Body:

• Slant nose delete body option (rear fender vent openings)
• Ruf front air dam with large Ruf front oil cooler
• Ruf fiberglass rear bumper and aluminum box rocker panels
• Camber truss
• Upgraded H-5 headlamps
• Kinesis K20 wheels front – 9 X 18, 245/35, reat 11 X 18 295/30
• Weight 2950 lbs

The vehicle has been expertly maintained and all of the vehicle's service records are available.

Pics to follow. Gorgeous Black on Black.

If you think you may be interested PM / Email me and I will put you in touch with the owner.

Last edited by SGOGT4; 04-03-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

This the one thats been on Mid West Performace web site for a while? Nice car
Old 04-03-2006, 01:30 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car came from Leandro down in Fla. He's a total Ruf fanatic. He had offered it to me for a very nice price, but I was not in market. Car does have some cool upgrades and it is a Ruf serial # car. $55k is pretty fair considering what other BTRs have sold for. They wanted like $70 or $80k when they first bought it about 6 months ago. I guess now reality has set in. It didn't move on ebay recently either. But at $55k that's much closer to market pending a PPI. All I can say about the car is the previous owner was very good about maintaining the car and very passionate about it. You'll want it with the Ruf wheels (9s and 10s) though...and I think those may have gotten sold...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

This is in fact Leandro's old car. Tom Simmons who owns Midwest Performance Cars is the friend referenced in my original post. Like any specialty / modified vehicle, if the right buyer came around I am sure that this car could have sold for $60k+. As good as Leandro was at maintaining it, there have been several routine maintenance and repair items addressed since it was last sold. With my understanding of the recently reduced price (beyond that which is currently posted on the web) I figured I would see if anyone had any interest in it.

I have provided references forTom and his cars in the past as my current 930 was originally purchased from him and continues to be maintained and tuned by his shop. Prior to the 930 I also bought my M3 as well as a 964 cab from MPC and have never received anything but exceptional service from them. Tom is as straight of a shooter as you will find.

Again, other than helping a friend, I don't have anything to gain here and just wanted to keep you guys apprised of an interesting car on the market.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
rs911t
Instructor

But, it isn't a BTR, at least not anymore.

Would you pay $55k for a 1986 930 with an upgraded engine? 3.4l, twin plug w/ Electromotive is a
pretty standard rebuild? It doesn't have the CTR brakes, or do they come with the car? Kinesis
wheels, not Ruf. Does it have coilovers AND torsion bars?

Don't you think it's disingenuous to pitch it as an "Authentic RUF BTR" and ask a premium over a nicely upgrade 1986 930 .... ?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Absolutely not. It was manufactured in Germany by Ruf and has a Ruf VIN, I call that authentic. This car was never a 930. Any area of the car that has been modified has been done so professionally and in a way that extends the already impressive Ruf performance thresholds.

I am guessing that just about every 930 owner on this board has made some form of changes to their cars (me included) does that mean that they no longer own authentic 930s?

Either way you are entitled to your opinion
Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Pics?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
rs911t
Instructor

Lots of pictures online at http://www.midwestperformancecars.co...orId139/01.jpg

My point is that it is now more similar to a nicely modified 930 than a Ruf BTR. Way more
Porsche and aftermarket parts then Ruf handywork at this point in time. But no doubt a
very nice car. Authentic? Maybe. Original? Absolutely not. $55k is a much better price point.

The one here http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/detail.asp?CarID=81 wasn't made for the
US market, it is "grey market", but nevertheless imported by one of the Bedor brothers.
It is original, has only 19k miles and has been for sale a long time.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
My87Targa
Racer

yea but when your talking about something like the ruf btr its really a different breed of car in mo opinion. like not that its better then a 930 i love them both but if i were to pay for authenticity id expect a little closer to the roots of what the car started as. just my thoughts. either way beast car and im sure the next owner will be enjoying all that has been properly done.

Targa
Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

That is a great car but sadly unless someone REALLY wants a RUF BTR because of some boyhood dreams from the '80s I cannot see paying $55K for that car, especially when a low mileage '89 G50/50 can be had for almost $20K less.

I know its apples and oranges but there is a 993Twin Turbo for sale on Pelican for $55K it has 80,000miles but it would be a great car for the same money.

The market for these types of cars has become very soft, Sameer wnet through the same thing when he sold his car recently.

Yasin
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

When the market turns they'll be the Yenko Camaro's of Porsches....Only about 12-15 of these made a year...accourding to Ruf himself.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
jalexand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I wonder about is if this car was mfg'd specifically for the U.S. market then why does it sport the Euro side-marker lights? Hate to say it, but in truth I think that one virtue of driving these cars is "image" and among somewhat knowledgeable people this car says "Grey Market". In my mind that effects it's resale value?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Lots of people added the euro-side markers, for pete's sake I put them on my 993tt because it was the vogue thing to do back in the 90's
Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

The production of this car can be traced back and verified as to it NOT being a gray market car.

No offense, but I question how "knowledgable" someone is that suggests an understanding of a vehicles origin based solely on its side indicator lamps. Especially based on the previous post.

My guess is that despite the fact that the indicators were not required by US law at the time this car was built, Ruf just left them on seeing as they were putting them on every other street car they were building. Merely speculation on my part.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Seba911
Advanced

Here is another RUF prepared car for sale, its in Sweden and is built on a 911 chassis number.

http://www.blocket.se/vi/7570957.htm?ca=12_s

The car has the BTR engine. But as for the cars mentioned earlier it has been a little modified, with coilovers and newer intake. It´s hard to say if the value has been affected in the negative direction? Small modifications don´t tend to change the value.

I would personally prefer a older RUF prepared car insted of the newer cars.

Quick Reply: FYI: Ruf BTR For Sale