911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Someone want to trade a 3.3 Turbo motor for a 3.6TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Someone want to trade a 3.3 Turbo motor for a 3.6TT

No this isn't a joke. We built a motor for a customer 4-5 years ago. It was a 993 based motor converted to a 3.6 TT motor. It has K24s and a custom Fabspeed exhaust with cats. The motor is currently setup with Tec3R and to be honest this poor guy has gotten the raw deal. We built the motor, shipped it to him and it was a never ending saga to have installed. The wrenched destroyed the turbos so we rebuilt them, they messed up the wiring and we have tried to sort it. They took over 3 years to install it then The customer is at his wits end and has requested the following:

He would like 10K and a 3.3 turbo motor with the CDI, headers, cams, at least a K27 and intercooler. The motor has to be complete and have a leak down less than 10% across the board.

He simply is fed up and has never even driven the car. It has never been on the road nor even made it on the dyno. He simply wants out.

What is the catch...none. We have spent a lot of time cleaning up and sorting the issues that he no longer wants to spend another dime. He just wants to drive the car. The intake is polished along with the intercooler. It is painted the color scheme of the German flag. I can send pictures upon request.

Please no tire kickers. I am doing this as a favor to him and would like to see him come out of this with some dignity
Old 02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll send you a pm.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

I know how the poor guy feels...I am real close to buying a stock motor. The exploder isn't exactly helping with my single status

Eric Hood
Old 02-18-2006, 01:34 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

He is in college no less. Trying to get into grad school. He started this project when he went into college and it was just put in the car last year!! He wanted to sell the whole car as it sat and I talked him out of it. At least this way we can get it up and running fast and he can at least take his girl friend to dinner in the Porsche I am sure she doesn't believe he has!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

People don't believe he has a Porsche....jeez I think you are talking about me sounds similar to my story
Old 02-18-2006, 01:42 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

At least yours is at home. You can make BBBBBBRRRRRR noises in the driver's seat!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

Oh she is here and I go brrr every month when I pay that 1k car payment and then hop back in my exploder and drive home LMAO. Anyway sounds like a chance for two parties to come out on this

Eric Hood
Old 02-18-2006, 01:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are some pictures of the engine still currently in the car.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

To to say it again, WE DID NOT INSTALL this motor. That is not our work!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't get it, he waited 3 years for this, its finally installed and he wants it out and wants a 3.3?
How much would he sell the 3.6 for?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:10 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

He has spent thousands. is going through grad school is going to spend thousands more to deinstall and reinstall the system and then tune it. It is no longer worth it to him.

A 3.3 he can plug in and make 450Hp and have the car back before spring and cover the cost that he has in it now and transport back to CA. There is a breaking point for everyone. To add insult the people that did the install owe him 2K refund still which he has not received in a year.

He simply wants out.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Stephen - Wow...a very tempting proposition - I am using these words mildly. I also read the thread over at Pelican and RarlyL8's interest.

It seems like there will be quite abit of extra $$ req'd to make the engine properly fit into a 930 - based on the 993 sump and C2 oil can requirements? Plus a re-do of the exhaust - which seemed cobbled based on your comments?

Plus a full Tec 3 re-wire, test and dyno tune? Smaller injectors and also I guess A\C is removed?

I will call you at the shop on Mon...to discuss

Yasin
Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

If it is a do it yourself project....yes and no. There needs to be some changes to the wiring which I can explain, the oil tanks will be a swap for yours and the exhaust welds are fine. I t is the tips and I think they could have been better placed then where they are now. The tip placement is silly.

The issue is there is a lot of time needed. If you do your own work then you will do well. If you pay a shop then be prepared for a huge expense.

The AC is removed. The intercooler will prevent the condenser from going in the factory spot. You will need to do an underbody condenser.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, a college student? Going to grad school? Some guys are lucky, I guess. I drove a $100 VW Beetle back then. That polished intake is interesting. Eric, you see that? Maybe you could blingify a set of 3.2 intakes and be on the road really soon.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

I am hoping and praying that my stuff will be ready soon Rob! Good to see I am not the only young guy on here who owns a Porsche....just wish us young guys had better luck

Eric Hood

Quick Reply: Someone want to trade a 3.3 Turbo motor for a 3.6TT